"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They can get a good start by not trying to kill civilians. No nation's hands are clean of blood, to be fair, and that includes my own, but let's face it: like many other nations, Russia may only learn this lesson at the hands of the people it's trying to subjugate.

They can get a good start by not trying to kill civilians. No nation's hands are clean of blood, to be fair, and that includes my own, but let's face it: like many other nations, Russia may only learn this lesson at the hands of the people it's trying to subjugate.

I agree that no nation's hands are clean of blood (ours included), but I am firm believer some make more of an effort to prevent. Some don't seem to care at all, or even have a care for human life. Russia's government seems to be the latter.

I agree that no nation's hands are clean of blood (ours included), but I am firm believer some make more of an effort to prevent. Some don't seem to care at all, or even have a care for human life. Russia's government seems to be the latter.

Right, this is not a black/white-either/or matter. The world is sloppy and nuanced, and applying rigid, dichotomous thinking is a trap. It's a continuum, where nations and individuals slide along a scale.

A nation whose soldiers torture 14-yr-old lads is further down that scale. A civilized nation forbids its soldiers doing that, and prosecutes them as they find them.

It's a difficult subject, considering Hiroshima, Dresden, etc. Again, nobody has clean hands. But at least we try. That counts for something, doesn't it?

As much as I enjoy my periodic visits to this site, I'm going to skip out over a fundimental disagreement about what's acceptable here.

Dana

Dana

You are an important contributor to this site and a highly respected contributor so please reconsider. Please to not let the mods trying to enforce the rules on politics/religion get you upset.

I thank the fates that I am not a moderator but the couple I personally know on other forums bend over backwards to avoid being political/biased/etc and I suspect that the same can be said of all the mods here. I know of one who often "over compensates" to ensure they enforce their forums rules of conduct.

Please remember that even if we do dissagree with the mods, and I often do, they are only human and, to mis-quote some ancient from way back when aviation did not exist
let those who have never been human compound their errors

Last edited:
Dana

You are an important contributor to this site and a highly respected contributor so please reconsider. Please to not let the mods trying to enforce the rules on politics/religion get you upset.

I thank the fates that I am not a moderator but the couple I personally know on other forums bend over backwards to avoid being political/biased/etc and I suspect that the same can be said of all the mods here. I know of one who often "over compensates" to ensure they enforce their forums rules of conduct.

Please remember that even if we do dissagree with the mods, and I often do, they are only human and, to mis-quote some ancient from way back when
aviation did not exist let those who have never been human compound their errors

I think he is leaving because he feels I am bending it or breaking it.

These clowns infuriate me.

This is how out of touch some of the elected officials in the U.S. are :mad:

Hawley is jealous that a far greater percentage of people everywhere listen to Zelenskyy and agree with him than listen to Hawley and agree with him.

I suspect even in Russia more people agree with Zelenskyy than Hawley because he can make logical arguments, unlike Whorely.

Whorely, Green, etc are closet poo tin supporters

I believe that every countries leadership has a massive influence on the overall behaviour of the majority of its citizens.

Look Germany and Japan 80 years ago, or Uganda in the late 60's, or Laos in the 80's, as typical examples of how important national leadership is.

Good people until a change of leadership made the average citizen "uncivilised" and all became "civilised" again once that leadership was removed.

I worked with a number of Russians, mainly from the Vladivostok area, and I knew them to be good people and totally civilized while we worked and socialized together. I have been out of touch with them since before covid but, given they no longer live in Russia, I suspect they have not changed. I think the same can be said of many of their countrymen outside of the military where again the leadership is a powerful influence - think of the Wagner group as an example of that.

I have spent several years in PNG under both Australian and national rule and there again the action of the majority reflects the actions of the leaders. The worst of the leaders were all schooled in NSW which has always had politicians of very dubious honesty.

Many of the Russian aviation processes were different from what I was used to from the other countries I have lived and worked in but I have to admit that most of those items were logical under Russian operating conditions. Most were totally unnecessary in most countries but Alaska and northern Canada could definitely learn from them. But that would mean regional licences and that I have severe reservations about. Their "one size fits all" regulations are appropriate for them but not for most of the USA and Canada or all of the SWPA.

Most them are just people like us who want to be left alone by the government and get on with our lives.

Last edited:
More on Admiral Kuznetsov. The number of incidents, accidents, and situations caused by someone smoking is staggering.

the ship being so prone to breakdowns that an ocean-going tug was always assigned to accompany it during deployments.

As such, there have now long been questions as to whether it's even worth refurbishing Admiral Kuznetsov, especially when Russia has plans to build new large-deck amphibious assault ships. More recently, the full-scale invasion of Ukraine and related sanctions placed on Russia have not only seen military priorities shift but have also eaten into defense budgets, and devastated the economy more generally. All in all, hanging on to the Cold War-era carrier now looks like an even worse investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back