"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You have to transport ammo, too. Fuel. Mark my words, lasers & charged particle beams are the weapons of the future. Some are here now but will be far more effective very soon.
Whilst I totally agree with your word. In the eal world where the West are afraid to give Ukraine F16's, old M1 tanks, what are the chances of giving them state of the art Lasers?

Currently, the lasers (and related energy weapons) require quite a bit of power.

The U.S. Navy has one system they've been working on and it's aboard a destroyer. Other mobile systems have been tested aboard large aircraft, though much lower power due to limited energy supply.

Israel has a laser system incorporated into it's Iron Dome defense, but the weapons are stationary and only capable of taking down balloons at this point in time.

It's going to be a while before we see Star Wars style mobile and hand-held laser weapons on the battlefield.

1672359918901.png

Initially, yes. You won't run out of ammo, though.:)

You have to transport ammo, too. Fuel. Mark my words, lasers & charged particle beams are the weapons of the future. Some are here now but will be far more effective very soon.
True, but be careful. Conventional artillery for example of course needs ammo. Apart from that, the system needs a new barrel every so often. Also minor stuff like, I dunno, lubricants? Seems like every military piece of equipment needs those.

What I mean is, depending how how the laser or charged particle beam or whatever is made, it might need some stuff at a rate and cost where it could approach ammo (though weight savings should still be considerable). I know far too little of the issue, I just remember something about some lasers at least using gases for example, if these leak, you need to replenish them, as an example.

Also be extra careful with lasers and other beam-weapons because, let's face it, they are cool, and when some gear is cool, we tend to be overly enthusiastic about it instead of sitting down and doing a cold- and stone-hearted cost-benefit analysis. Way too many military projects got way too much money because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back