"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I sense it's shells and replacement barrels for existing artillery that Ukraine needs most, rather than additional, though of course still welcome, new guns.

This is an interesting snippet. Personally I am undecided on the deployment of these vehicles as they will be vulnerable to any AT weapon. In addition they will be quite large targets and difficult to move in mud.
That said I do not claim to know much about this kind of ground combat

Mr Zelensky has also been calling for more military support from Western countries, and French officials said that French president Emmanuel Macron has told Mr Zelensky that Paris would send light AMX-10 RC armoured combat vehicles to help in the war against Russia.

"This is the first time that Western-made armoured vehicles are being delivered in support of the Ukrainian army," the official told reporters, after a call between Mr Macron and Mr Zelensky. The official did not give any details about the volume or timing of the planned shipments.

This may be redundant (and the article referenced is behind a paywall), but it does show some evidence of poor training and supervision of Russian troops:

For Russian Troops, Cellphone Use Is a Persistent, Lethal Danger

As a summary, some of the Russian troops are using their cellphones in the field and, as a result, providing targeting information to Ukrainian artillery. This has been pervasive since Russian troops were nearly investing Kyiv, where the Russian troops uploaded videos to TikTok (and how many of those videos -- probably stored on TikTok's servers and thousands of other places on the Internet -- are evidence of war crimes). While the Russian Army has banned cellphones, they're still common. The Russian Defense Ministry has said that this cellphone use helped the Ukrainian military to locate Russian troop concentration (there were also Russian pro-war bloggers who said that the actual basis was Russian commanders who did not take sufficiently disperse troops and housed them too close to munitions storage areas and had troop movements insufficiently concealed).

The article also stated that cellphone use is also a problem with Ukrainian troops.

-------------

One question (not answered in article) is whether the Russians, as part of their attack on Ukrainian infrastructure are targeting the cellular network, or are they keeping it in place because they're using it to coordinate with separatists within Ukraine or actually need the Ukrainian cellular network for communication within the invading forces.

--------------

I teach high school. Getting cellphones from teenagers, and many soldiers in every army are in or barely out of their teens, is quite close to impossible. I wonder if this is a problem in other armies.

Back when Pontius was a pilot, outbriefs during exercises included a check to ensure the aircrew flight suits were completely sanitized. No name badges, no unit badges, no wallet, no photos of loved ones, no ticket stubs...just a blank flight suit with rank badges and carrying the military ID card. Nothing else.

Having gone through that rigmarole more times than I care to remember during the Cold War, I shudder at the OPSEC implications of the current generation of military personnel wanting to take their phone with them on operations. Aside from the obvious opportunity to target the phone's emissions, the device can provide all sorts of opportunities for propaganda and info ops because all of the person's contacts can be accessed and reached via social media and other means.

Any officer who lets his/her subordinates take their cell phone into a combat zone should be drummed out of the service for incompetence (just my most humble of opinions).

Last edited:
This is an interesting snippet. Personally I am undecided on the deployment of these vehicles as they will be vulnerable to any AT weapon.
Are you referring to the DANA M2 8x8 152mm self-propelled howitzers? Wouldn't your concern of vulnerability to AT weapons be applicable to any of Ukraine's wheeled SPH? Otherwise, what's so unique about the DANA?

If your self propelled artillery is within range of AT weapons aren't you using them wrong?

Last edited:
20 years ago when I was in the Army, we weren't even allowed to take our phones on exercises. Hopefully this is still the case??
Especially when in enemy territory. Whose cell phone infrastructure did the Russian troops think they were using when they are in Ukraine? There's a reason Ukraine cell providers haven't switched off service near/in occupied areas.

View: https://medium.com/@Ponderosa_Pine/ukraine-cell-phone-companies-killed-the-russian-militarys-nervous-system-f312a8d588b7

Interestingly, Ukraine's three cell services are owned by Dutch, Turkish and Azerbaijani companies. None are big fans of Russia, though the largest Kyivstar does have a strong Russian shareholder.

Last edited:
From ISW:

The continued construction of Russian units using solely mobilized recruits will not generate combat power commensurate with the number of mobilized personnel deployed. Donetsk People's Republic (DNR) Head Denis Pushilin remarked in the wake of the Makiivka strike on January 4 that some of the officers of the targeted regiment were mobilized servicemen.[9] Pushilin's indication that certain Russian units are relying on newly mobilized and poorly trained recruits for leadership roles, as opposed to drawing from the combat-hardened officer cadre, adds further nuance to the poor performance of and high losses within units comprised of mobilized recruits. Mobilized servicemen with minimal training and degraded morale in the role of officers are likely contributing to poor operational security (OPSEC) practices and lack the basic acumen to make sound tactical and operational decisions.

What could go wrong with this scheme? Bear in mind, these are the officers who presumably will be training the rest of the conscripts up to combat standards over the winter. There's a reason militaries use the cadre system to expand forces.

Also from the same update:

Ukrainian Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) Chief Kyrylo Budanov stated that Ukrainian forces intend to launch a major counteroffensive throughout Ukraine in the spring of 2023. Budanov stated in an interview with ABC News published on January 4 that he expects fighting to be the most intense in March of 2023 and that the Ukrainian military is planning a major push in the spring that will liberate territory "from Crimea to Donbas" and deal "the final defeats to the Russian Federation."[13] Ukrainian officials have previously indicated that Ukrainian forces will attempt to maintain the initiative through a series of ongoing and subsequent counteroffensive operations in the winter of 2023.[14] This reportedly planned major Ukrainian counteroffensive in the spring of 2023 would not be mutually exclusive with Ukrainian counteroffensive operations continuing this winter, as Ukrainian forces could use ongoing and subsequent counteroffensive operations this winter to set conditions for a larger counteroffensive operation in the spring. ISW has not observed any indicators that Ukrainian forces intend to halt counteroffensive operations this winter in order to conduct a major counteroffensive this spring. Budanov stated that there would be further strikes "deeper and deeper" inside Russia but declined to comment on Ukraine's involvement in previous strikes on Russian rear areas in Russia.[15]

I have no doubt there will be both a winter and spring offensive, but note the vagueness of his statement. I think this is an effort to steer the Russians into a bad position by forcing them to wonder where the blow will fall, similar to how a Kherson offensive was bruited in Aug before the blow fell in Kharkiv a few hundred miles to the north. He's trying to get inside the Russian head to plant worries.

No one actually believes this propaganda posted by Putler, inspired by his close clerical freiny Kyril. Both don't care about Ukrainians so Ukrainians won't care about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back