"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is Vitaly Gerasimov related to Valery Gerasimov, the Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation? They're both from Kazan, Tatar, and there are some facial similarities.

Vitaly Gerasimov:
1646698470561.png

Valery Gerasimov:
1646698509349.png

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know...) Valery Gerasimov was born in 1955 and was married with one son. Vitaly Gerasimov was born in 1977. Was Vitaly the son of Valery?

Russian aircrafts have shortage of guided weapons. Which means dumbs bombs or rockets.

So the way is to go low.

I was under the impression that Ukraine did have big SAM like the S-300 so not sure about flying at high altitude.

Russian aircrafts have shortage of guided weapons. Which means dumbs bombs or rockets.
How can a reputed (clearly undeserved) top grade airforce not have LGBs or other precision-guided munitions? How did the VVS expect to fight NATO? These guys wouldn't get through NATO's three Baltic members before they ran out of strike-aircraft.

Last edited:
How can a reputed (clearly undeserved) top grade airforce not have LGBs or other precision-guided munitions? How did the VVS expect to fight NATO? These guys wouldn't get through NATO's three Baltic members before they ran out of strike-aircraft.
The Russians have them, but not in large quantities.

Their adventure in the Syrian civil war drained them of a large chunk of their stockpile and their economy has been such, that they've been slow to build back their numbers.

For this foray into the Ukraine, Russia appears to act as though it would be a quick action and advanced hardware hasn't been used.

I will also add, that with tensions between Russia and NATO being what it is, I suspect Putin is going to hold the top-notch gear in reserve if the sh*t hits the fan.

And he will most certainly need it.

I suspect Putin is going to hold the top-notch gear in reserve if the sh*t hits the fan.
Indeed. The VVS has 1,300 fighter and fixed wing strike aircraft. We're not seeing them over Ukraine in any large numbers.

Lord knows how he's going to fund the replacement of their Ukraine losses when this is over. Russia's going to end up as a Chinese vassal state, like Pakistan.

The other problem for Russia is the ability to economically sustain it's military in a long term conflict.

Russian GDP even before any sanctions was around 1/14th of the United States. Germany, Britain, and France all easily exceed Russia as well.

Military spending as a percentage of GDP - say even 10%, is far less strain on the US or Europe than on Russia.

It's the same as Germany in 1939 - they need quick victories or attrition takes over.

The only other option gets everyone killed.

The other problem for Russia is the ability to economically sustain it's military in a long term conflict.

Russian GDP even before any sanctions was around 1/14th of the United States. Germany, Britain, and France all easily exceed Russia as well.

Military spending as a percentage of GDP - say even 10%, is far less strain on the US or Europe than on Russia.

It's the same as Germany in 1939 - they need quick victories or attrition takes over.

their GDP is in size of Nrdrlands and military spending were around 15% during at least last 5 years

Nederlands i would like to type 😄

Couple weeks ago ive read analysis indicating that in fact VKS is in terrible shape - with most of their fleet reaching age limit and withserious problems with maintaing what they have rin the inventory. Just consider fact that most russian pilots (especially fast jet) is flying far less than 40 hours a year - at least according to the author of analysis. Situation over Ukraine seems to confirm this information.

Couple weeks ago ive read analysis indicating that in fact VKS is in terrible shape - with most of their fleet reaching age limit and withserious problems with maintaing what they have rin the inventory. Just consider fact that most russian pilots (especially fast jet) is flying far less than 40 hours a year - at least according to the author of analysis. Situation over Ukraine seems to confirm this information.
Recently, I was reading about Russia's problems with keeping their MiG-29 fleet operational, with many being grounded due to maintenance issues.

Couple that with their pilots having 10% of the flight time and practice of their NATO counterparts and it's a disaster.

What has baffled me for years, is how the Russian people, finally free of the Communist yoke, allowed Putin to go from President, to special advisor to the President then to long-term leader of the state, etc.

Sort of reminds me of a certain Corporal who managed to weasel his way into absolute power...
He's telling them what they want to hear and stifling significant dissent, by censorship, imprisonment, ridicule, and murder. It's worked in many countries with leaders from all parts of the political spectrum. Anti-democratic populism is not that uncommon, nor is it unique to former dictatorships

Which is why Putin needs to be shown a face saving exit.

He's telling them what they want to hear and stifling significant dissent, by censorship, imprisonment, ridicule, and murder. It's worked in many countries with leaders from all parts of the political spectrum. Anti-democratic populism is not that uncommon, nor is it unique to former dictatorships

Like you said, its not uncommon in any spectrum. The truth can be made up. Just look at the last 6 years here in the US (no its not limited to just the last 6 years, its just a really good example if people want to be honest). It's just politics 101. And it's not limited to just one side (this is not me pointing at any side). Some just take it a bit further like Putin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back