"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One of the more bizarre excuses for not sending the Abrams to Ukraine was that they need "jet fuel" to run.

This is utter crap. Yes, the AGT-1500 will cheerfully run on jet fuel (Jet-A, Jet-A1, Jet-B, JP-4, JP-5, JP-8, and whatever), but it will also run nicely on road diesel, home heating oil or, for that matter, gasoline. Gas turbine engines are much less fussy about fuel than those engines that rely on pistons banging back and forth. Basically, if a truck diesel or tank diesel can burn it, so can the AGT-1500.

Not to mention that jet fuel, being of lower fractionation, is much easier to refine than even the gasoline in my Nissan truck.

Not to mention that jet fuel, being of lower fractionation, is much easier to refine than even the gasoline in my Nissan truck.

We can continue down this road, but the other claim is that the Abrams' engine is remarkably more difficult to maintain than a diesel. From what I remember from when I worked at Lycoming (which was about 40 years ago, so make appropriate allowances), the AGT-1500 required less overall maintenance than the AVDS-1790. Also, one does suspect that there are gas turbine engines in Ukraine's armed forces as they have these things called "helicopters" and "jet aircraft," which don't tend to use the technology requiring pistons banging back and forth, so they may have mechanics who can maintain gas turbines. They may also have wrench-twirlers who don't believe in reading the directions, but that's a worldwide problem.

My reading this morning indicates that this is a dog-and-pony show intended to support the Kremlin line that this is an "existential" battle.
It shows me how scared Putin is and is evidence as to how well the conflict is going in his eyes.

There is no way that this would have been done without his express authority. It's worth remembering that back in May he cancelled the flypast over the May day parade. He is scared

Other than Ukraine

Switzerland? Joining may make it tougher for their banks to launder money.

NATO would probably have continued to wither away had Putin not decided to invade Ukraine. Certainly, the defense budgets of the NATO members in Europe would have continued to drop unless they found a new major threat.

From all the defense contractors in the West: thank you, Vlad.

He's also interested in trying to portray this as "Mother Russia is under siege", I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread