"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

re AGT1500 reliability

From a previous post: "All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

re AGT1500 use of diesel

Also, as has already been mentioned, the M1's turbine is quite able to run on diesel. It was specifically designed to run on diesel as well as other types of fuel (originally JP-4/NATP F-40 aviation kerosene in particular) before the OFC (One Fuel Concept) or SFC (Single Fuel Concept) was officially put forward (1986?), and well before the OFC/SFC began to be adopted by the US (1988?). The M1's turbine was proven using both diesel and various blends of aviation kerosene before it entered service, and in fact for most of its early service life (first 3-4 years at least?) the M1 was run on diesel more often than not.

JP-8/NATO F-34 was adopted by (most?) NATO members as the intended fuel for the OFC/SFC in ~1997.

At the time i(early-1980's) the switchover was relatively easy to achieve via the electronic engine management system - in effect the fuel system was 'tuned' to match the fuel being used - the tuning being done normally at the depot level, but it could be done at the unit level also as long as they had the tools and training. The only serious problems that I heard of (re diesel and aviation kerosenes) was the potential change in engine rpm limits and temperatures. In a pinch the engine could simply be monitored by the driver as to engine temperatures and rpms. I do not know the current methodology of managing the different fuel switchover.

Otherwise, I did hear that when running on diesel there were sometimes problems with cold starts in relatively cold weather. This was countered by periodically running the engine to prevent gelling/waxing, and cutting the diesel with one form or another of aviation kerosene. I do not know what the relatively cold temperatures were.

Last edited:
I remember way back when, a camp counselor said of the Chrysler turbine car "you can pee in the tank and it'll go". Could the AGT-1500 could run on ordinary, run of the mill, hardware store type kerosene?
Yes.

I can't remember what fuels the AGT-1500 was qualified to use. It couldn't use gaseous fuels, because it didn't have the right kind of fuel control or something like marine diesel or bunker C because those needed to be heated to properly atomize.

Gas turbines can be and have been run on just about anything that can burn, including peat and coal

Last edited:
Yup, basically if the fuel can be delivered to the combustion cans in a large enough quantity then the turbine can burn it.

The M1's turbine is cleared to run on regular diesel, marine diesel, gasoline (including gasohols), the various common aviation kerosenes, and pretty much any blend thereof.

Switzerland? Joining may make it tougher for their banks to launder money.

NATO would probably have continued to wither away had Putin not decided to invade Ukraine. Certainly, the defense budgets of the NATO members in Europe would have continued to drop unless they found a new major threat.

From all the defense contractors in the West: thank you, Vlad.
He already got his 2022 award.
FS0Iq1UXoAIM93z.jpg

Seems he is on track for his 2023 award too.

"Berlin asked for permission to send German-made Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine." Surely in the name of all that is holy that has already been asked months ago? Otherwise, what's all the chatter in Ramstein about?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back