"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A few bits of info.

The Perkins L60 series of engines used in the Chieftain, Challenger Mk 1/2/3 was designed to be multi-fuel capable from the time it was installed in the first Chieftains. It is cleared to run on diesel, marine diesel, the various aviation kerosenes, and gasoline. (I think Sweden was the only nation that beat the UK to the punch where multi-fuel capability is concerned.)

There is no significant difference in the power output of the AGT1500 engine used in the M1, when using diesel, marine diesel, or any of the aviation kerosenes. There is a significant difference (ie greater than 5%) in power and the operating conditions (ie temperature and rpm used) when using gasolines and alcohols, but in peacetime operations it has been found to make very little difference. Currently the fuels of choice are diesel and JP-8 (or a blend thereof - ie NATO F-65).

JP-8 was not in common use when the M1 entered service, so It was cleared on the various types of aviation kerosenes then in common use - JP-4/-7/Jet A and Jet B (65% gasoline/35% kerosene).

re the latest UK aid package to Ukraine

The UK is basically supplying most of what is needed for a combined arms battalion (brigade in UK terminology?).

14x Challenger 2
100x armoured vehicles of various types, including FV430 Mk 3 Bulldogs (and Warrior IFV?)
8x AS90 155mm SPG (with additional units upon availability)
100,000x artillery rounds
100x MLRS PG rockets

In addition, the UK has amassed and is sending a large amount of spares for Russian equipment that is usable by Ukraine for repair of their vehicles, plus new equipment/systems that can be used for upgrades.

There are other bits and pieces of stuff in the package also, including more Starstreak MANPADS, AMRAAM, and drones.

Last edited:
DC509D6B-E41E-4BA5-ABB5-1B7B7C7A2A13.jpeg

Except it's reasonably close to true. When I was at Lycoming, they had qualified the AGT1500 on quite a few flammable liquids. What isn't true is that it needs some "special jet fuel." It was designed to run on the same diesel as the AVDS-1790, and qualified on JP-4, JP-5, Jet-A (when I was at Lycoming, this is what was generally used in the test house), Jet-B, 100/130, 80/87, and auto gas. I don't think they tried ethanol, methanol, or Bunker C.

You say it's "reasonably close to true", but then undercut that by going on to mention it can in fact run on diesel and gas. Is there a performance difference in the different fuels that leads you to write that? What gives?

Assuming the UAF gets the F-16, how does it compare in man hours and complexity for maintenance to the MiG-29? I would like to think the F-16's GE-129 or PW-229 single engine would be more reliable than the MiG-29's twin Klimov RD-33. But then there's the rest of the aircraft systems that need upkeep. The UAF will be doing a lot of the maintenance in the field.

Though I wonder if NATO will set up an exchange program with Ukraine? Once your F-16 or Leopard 2 is worn out, ship it to Poland and exchange it for a recently refitted one, with NATO then getting to work on the returned ones.

Last edited:
Assuming the UAF gets the F-16, how does it compare in man hours and complexity for maintenance to the MiG-29? I would like to think the F-16's GE-129 or PW-229 single engine would be more reliable than the MiG-29's twin Klimov RD-33. But then there's the rest of the aircraft systems that need upkeep. The UAF will be doing a lot of the maintenance in the field.

Though I wonder if NATO will set up an exchange program with Ukraine? Once your F-16 or Leopard 2 is worn out, ship it to Poland and exchange it for a recently refitted one, with NATO then getting to work on the returned ones.
I don't know about F-16, but Peru has both Mirage 2000 and Mig-29. I remember from a Peruvian air force discussion that:
  • The maintenance cost for the Mirage-2000 was 2.5 million € per plane per year, while the maintenance of Mig-29 was close (maybe 3.8 or 3.7 don't remember exactly) to 4 million € per plane/year.
  • The Mig -29 used about 800 liters more of fuel per hour than the Mirage-2000.
  • The RD-33 series 2 required an overhaul every 350 hours and had a total service life of only 1,200 hours.
I don't know how that compares to F-16, but maybe someone from Greece knows how Mirage-2000 compares to F-16, since they have both.

KYIV, Jan 27 (Reuters) - Ukraine on Friday battled Russian troops trying to pierce its lines in the east and northeast before Kyiv takes delivery of tanks from its Western allies, saying the fighting showed it needed more weapons to repel the invaders.

[...]

Poland gave Ukraine a further boost on Friday by promising an additional 60 tanks on top of 14 German-made Leopard 2 tanks it had already pledged.

[...]

Russia said the United States was "pumping weapons into Ukraine", which Moscow says does Washington's bidding, and chided President Joe Biden, saying he held the key to ending the conflict but had not used it.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy thanked allies for their support but renewed calls for tougher sanctions on Moscow and more weapons in the twelfth month of the war.

"This evil, this Russian aggression can and should be stopped only with adequate weapons. The terrorist state will not understand anything else," Zelenskiy said in his nightly television address on Thursday.

Two thoughts:

1) Bravo Poland, that's almost an armored regiment's worth of Leo IIs from them alone. Boy howdy, when those Ukrainian tankers get trained full-up on 'em what a sword that will be.

2) Putin really needs to stop trying to gaslight the world. If Russia wanted to end the war today it could do so. Blaming a third country for Russia's own quagmire is asinine. Get real, numbnuts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back