"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was surprised to read that Canada's Leopards are neglected. We have a Canadian division of Rheinmetall that was supposed to be focused on Leopard maintenance, shown below.

View attachment 704459

But if Ottawa doesn't pay them, they're not going to work. CAD$5.1 mil a year isn't going to keep 90 plus Leopards in good fettle.

The phrase "penny-wise and pound-foolish" comes to mind.

The phrase "penny-wise and pound-foolish" comes to mind.
The CAF needs a total refresh and strategic rethink. The Leopard 2s were bought for the Afghan war. We're never going to deploy MBTs overseas again in anything but penny packets, and they should be disposed of - I'd donote the lot, after refurb to Ukraine. I'd like to see us consider the US' new easier to deploy light tank, the MPF.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BdPmpidUbWo

It's the RCN and RCAF where desperate investment is needed. We need to replace the ex-Upholder SSKs with SSNs for sustained under ice ops. This means we must push to join and be invited to AUKUS. Those nations won't take a laggard like Canada until we get our forces properly funded and equipped, combined with a coherent strategy of what Canada wants to be, militarily in the world.

If that kicks off the training and transfer of western jets I think is as good as the actual transfer of Mirages & Rafales
I would worry about the Mirage 2000. I read an article a few month ago and it was with the assistance of the last unit flying the Mirage 2000. It was clear from the article that it had reached the end of its life and wouldn't be up to taking on modern Russian fighters

Also, many of the Ukrainians fled or even turned sides during the initial invasion, especially during Russia's offensive from Crimea into the Kherson and Zaporizhia oblasts. Compared to Kyiv and Kharkiv those two folded quickly. Hopefully the UAF has weeded out those types from their ranks.

To be strictly accurate, the Russians had invested heavily in buying influence in the politicians of that region.
See things like the local Mayors not ordering the blowing of bridges across the Dnipro.

My understanding is that the Spanish Leopards are in such disrepair that they're essentially useless.
This is old news from August, and I guess those declarations were influenced by both, the far-left partners in the coalition government who oppose sending offensive weapons, and the refusal of Germany to send leopards at that time.

Here I mentioned that
There are apparently 53 "available" 2A4. Of those, about 20 require minor repairs and I guess those will be sent in a matter of a few months.
About 20 more require significant repairs and probably won't be ready this year.
The rest have been cannibalized for spares and probably can't be rebuilt.

Source (in Spanish)

The Chally 2s won't be decisive in combat due to the small number provided....but strategically, I think their impact has been huge, opening the door for Leo 2 and Abrams.

Good to see more progress in getting modern MBTs to Ukraine:

I would worry about the Mirage 2000. I read an article a few month ago and it was with the assistance of the last unit flying the Mirage 2000. It was clear from the article that it had reached the end of its life and wouldn't be up to taking on modern Russian fighters
The retired 2000 were the C version, older and unupgraded, lacking long range AAMs but with a limited guided bombs capacity but the AdA still operates the 2000-5F, a much improved version with long range AAMs.

Either one could be an improvement over the MiGs in use today by the UAF but I think that the importance of the announcement is that sending western fighters to Ukrainia isn't off the table anymore

Any product that reaches its end-of-life has to be properly recycled ;)

Anyway, my understanding is that mig-29 and su-27 in the UAF are from the soviet era (maybe upgraded), so I guess those Mirage 2000 are probably newer and more capable than what Ukraine has now.

Well, Vlad has been very careful so far to utilise mostly village hicks from the sticks not conscripts from the metropolitan regions around St Petersburg and Moscow.
Its a Win-Win again for Moscow, rids itself of a whole generation of non slavic Urals and Siberian 'Russians'

Right. that's part of it. The other part is that another round of conscription will almost certainly arouse another round of protests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back