"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (8 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A beautiful photo. Flanker in the AM. I didn't know Ukraine had twin seat Su-27s. Is this a Su-35?

View: https://twitter.com/kpszsu/status/1618876881792827392?s=61&t=omvYZgNmR6B2N1aSYxuHAg

It will be a Su-27UB1M which is essentially a standard Su-27UB, first acquired back in the USSR days and inherited by the Ukrainians back in the early 1990s, and then modernizized to NATO standards in 2012, which involved a minor overhaul of the radar, navigation and communication equipment. You can see some here:

PARIS, Jan 27 (Reuters) - A total of 321 heavy tanks have been promised to Ukraine by several countries
How many of these are Abrams, Challengers and Leopard 2s? In addition to these three, the upcoming package also includes a bunch of PT-91 Twardys from Poland and T-72s from Morocco.

As welcome as these are, what Ukraine wants is NATO-designed MBTs. I'm sure 200+ Challenger 1s from Jordan would be welcome.

Last edited:
I haven't been keeping score but it seems to me that whatever numerical advantage Russia had in tanks a year ago is gone. I'm talking all the "T"s. The East Bloc stuff Ukraine has is most likely in better shape than Russia's. Ukraine's tankers are better trained.
The Leopards will be used to complement Ukraine's T tanks the best way possible. Ukraine has a large armor force now with the best Russian tanks in the world (ie Twardy) Their training is superior to Russia's. When the time is right, Ukraine's mechanized combined forces will be a far superior force. I'm very confident in General Zalushny. He has been doing okay even without my advice.

No doubt Morocco is paying back USA support in the western Sáhara and arms sales.

Algeria is in no position to send MiGs or Su to Ukrainia. They are locking horns with Morocco, which had been in an arms buying spree in the last decade, and Algeria armed forces are bonded to soviet/russian equipment for decades. It could be crap but is crap that they know and with tensions running high they can't afford to ditch it and start from a new point.

Last edited:
Putins set to beat the UAF to the punch with an early offensive on 24 Feb.
They will need to ride out the storm until `western equipments turn upon in sufficient numbers to be decisive.
Melitopol is the key, take that, and the Orcs will need to retreat back to Crimea

They will need to ride out the storm until `western equipments turn upon in sufficient numbers to be decisive.
Melitopol is the key, take that, and the Orcs will need to retreat back to Crimea
He may well beat the UAF to the punch and launch his attack before the new equipment arrives, but there is an excellent chance that he may not have had the time, to put the necessary preparation and ground work in place, for the attack to succeed.
He was lucky in the original assault 12 months ago that Ukraine didn't have to equipment to exploit the chaos and confusion. Its a very different Ukraine army now, an army that has proven its ability to make the most of any mistake, and has the weapons to do it.

He may well beat the UAF to the punch and launch his attack before the new equipment arrives, but there is an excellent chance that he may not have had the time, to put the necessary preparation and ground work in place, for the attack to succeed.
He was lucky in the original assault 12 months ago that Ukraine didn't have to equipment to exploit the chaos and confusion. Its a very different Ukraine army now, an army that has proven its ability to make the most of any mistake, and has the weapons to do it.

Indeed, but he's shown a willingness to use relentless human wave attacks to wear down battle hardened and very well equipped Ukrainian forces and gain ground.
Casualties mean nothing to him, if he loses 100,000 men KIA gaining Zaporishia, he'll considerer it a good exchange.

Indeed, but he's shown a willingness to use relentless human wave attacks to wear down battle hardened and very well equipped Ukrainian forces and gain ground.
Casualties mean nothing to him, if he loses 100,000 men KIA gaining Zaporishia, he'll considerer it a good exchange.
That is true but the he still needs to prepare and without the right structure in place it can easily stall. When that happens the mass of half trained infantry can easily become more of a problem to Russia than a help.

He was lucky in the original assault 12 months ago that Ukraine didn't have to equipment to exploit the chaos and confusion.
Also, many of the Ukrainians fled or even turned sides during the initial invasion, especially during Russia's offensive from Crimea into the Kherson and Zaporizhia oblasts. Compared to Kyiv and Kharkiv those two folded quickly. Hopefully the UAF has weeded out those types from their ranks.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the Spanish Leopards are in such disrepair that they're essentially useless.
Apparently the Canadian ones are little to no better?

Yet both Spain and Canada are now offering their seemingly under-maintained Leopards to Ukraine. Presumably we're sending those in the least worst condition.

Last edited:

Now this year, with conscripts filling out the rolls, T-62s and -64s rounding out the armored forces, and artillery shot down quite a bit ... admittedly optimistic, but I suspect there's a big black eye awaiting this Russian offensive.

It might could set up conditions for another counteroffensive, this time armed with first-line Western MBTs in the van.

Apparently the Canadian ones are little to no better?

Yet both Spain and Canada are now offering their seemingly under-maintained Leopards to Ukraine. Presumably we're sending those in the least worst condition.

Or for spare parts, if nothing else.

Or for spare parts, if nothing else.
I was surprised to read that Canada's Leopards are neglected. We have a Canadian division of Rheinmetall that was supposed to be focused on Leopard maintenance, shown below.

26703533702_d225a99b3b_b.jpg

But if Ottawa doesn't pay them, they're not going to work. CAD$5.1 mil a year isn't going to keep 90 plus Leopards in good fettle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back