"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't think Putin has met any of his objectives for the first day of the invasion. I don't think he believed Ukrainian resistance would be as tough. That might be why is apparently now willing to negotiate.
He demands demilitarisation first. That doesn't sound like he's willing to, but more like a diversion.

I don't think Putin has met any of his objectives for the first day of the invasion. I don't think he believed Ukrainian resistance would be as tough. That might be why is apparently now willing to negotiate.
Back in 1980, in 3rd day of war, Saddam Hussein talked about negotiations...

So many stories about reasons behind this decision, but I go with this one:

He didn't meet any of his political or military goals.

IMO, same happened here. But with different outcome, this time. Unknown by now, yet to be discovered.

Yeah….I fear the consequences of the Ukrainian military don't disarm. I see a real risk of atrocities by Russian forces, particularly as the fighting gets messier in the urban areas or ground that's beneficial for insurgents.

I was just coming here to post this article I picked up on NPR:

Amnesty International is accusing Russia of launching indiscriminate attacks on civilian areas in Ukraine, which it said could amount to war crimes.

"The Russian military has shown a blatant disregard for civilian lives by using ballistic missiles and other explosive weapons with wide area effects in densely populated areas." Agnes Callamard, Amnesty International's Secretary General, said in a statement.

"Some of these attacks may be war crimes," she added. "The Russian government, which falsely claims to use only precision-guided weapons, should take responsibility for these acts."

The organization used satellite, photographic and video evidence to document three incidents where it said the Russian military used inaccurate weapons which struck civilian areas.

The deadliest strike hit a hospital building in Donetsk, killing four civilians and wounding 10 others. Donetsk is a breakaway region in eastern Ukraine, and Russia recently stoked tensions by recognizing it as independent.

Amnesty International's weapons investigator used photos from the scene to determine that a 9M79 Tochka ballistic missile, which is extremely inaccurate, was used in the attack. Hospitals are protected from being targeted in war under international law.

I don't think anyone's been under many illusions about the Russians being willing to commit war-crimes, whether or not the Ukrainians disarm. And of course they won't disarm, rightfully so. Negotiations at that point could only be a sham -- like an unarmed victim negotiating with his robber.

It follows that this is simply a Russian ploy to message, "But hey, we tried to settle this, we wanted to end it."

Typical Putin bullshit.

Last edited:
Yeah….I fear the consequences of the Ukrainian military don't disarm. I see a real risk of atrocities by Russian forces, particularly as the fighting gets messier in the urban areas or ground that's beneficial for insurgents.

Apparently the Russians are making apartment buildings identifying them as bomb targets.

It could be an attempt to lure out the government.

Russian forces moving towards Ukraine's capital city of Kyiv are "meeting more resistance than they expected," a senior defense official said Friday.

"I can't give you an exact geographic location of where they are, but they are not moving on Kyiv as fast as what we believe they anticipated they would be able to do," the official told reporters.

"In general, the Russians have lost a little bit of their momentum," the official later added.

The official said Russian troops haven't taken any population centers and Russia does not have air superiority over Ukraine as "Ukrainian air defenses are still working," and the country still has air and missile defenses.

The Russians are continuing to advance into three major areas of Ukraine since beginning an assault on the country early Thursday morning, local time. Kremlin troops are advancing toward Kyiv from Belarus; into the Kharkiv area in the east, Ukraine's second largest city; and from Crimea in the south towards Kherson, which sits on a major river, the official said.

Russian forces moving toward Kherson have also appeared to split off to head to the northeast "in the direction of Mariupol and the Donbas region," the official added.

The U.S. assessed Russian forces have fired more than 200 missiles into Ukraine since the start of the invasion.

[...]

The official also confirmed that there is a Russian "amphibious assault" underway to the west of Mariupol along the Ukrainian coast. The assault is coming from the Sea of Azov, with indications that the Russians "are putting potentially thousands of naval infantry ashore there."

[...]

Of the total Russian forces amassed near Ukraine ahead of the invasion, Moscow has used "about a third of their combat power" as of Friday, the official said.

"That does not mean that they will not commit more, I'm just giving you a snapshot of what we're seeing right now," they added.

I think it does have a certain logic...if you think the way Putin does about reforming the old Russian empire and facing what he sees as a weak and directionless 'West'. The article I posted earlier at Reply #64 touches upon this. If you are interested in more, I highly recommend Stan Grant's latest book (see below) which covers both Russia and China amongst others.

An interesting side note to all of this:

the two "people's republics" in the Ukraine that Putin is "liberating", Luhansk People's Republic and Donetsk People's Republic, have an obvious Soviet style setup and the LPR's "national" emblem is even a Soviet style red star encompassed by sheafs of wheat.

They are also using the .SU domain for their websites.

I don't think it would be so much Bulgaria or Romania as they were never really part of the 'Russian/Soviet empire'. I would more worried if I was in one of the Baltic states of Latvia, Estonia or Lithuania since they were once part of said empire.

Users who are viewing this thread