"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have noticed this is increasing, but it is worth stating that earlier in the 20th Century, speaking Maori in public was banned and schools were not able to teach it until the 1970s, which means hearing it intermixed with English is still not common in public media in New Zealand. Race relations have moved on a bit, but there is still work to do...

Carry on, comrades...

Yep that stunk but in those days there were six very distinct Maori languages.

Now there is only one and it is full of words that the old Maori would never understand because the items they identify never existed in those days. It is apparent that the controllers of the Neo-Maori language would rather invent a new word that means nothing outside Maori rather than use the word(s) that most other languages use for the same item. Eg email is email in most languages that use the Roman alphabet. Naturally the French use something different but what would you expect from them. I am guessing here but seeing they have invented a Maori word for passport I expect that they invented one for email as well.

Being different for the sake of being different is what can best be described as arogant petty barstardry and does nothing for international relations. And yes the Maori are no different to the Yanks on that (Aluminium in 180+ languages and Aluminum in one, metre in 180+ languages and meter in one - etc).

Yep that stunk but in those days there were six very distinct Maori languages.

Now there is only one and it is full of words that the old Maori would never understand because the items they identify never existed in those days. It is apparent that the controllers of the Neo-Maori language would rather invent a new word that means nothing outside Maori rather than use the word(s) that most other languages use for the same item. Eg email is email in most languages that use the Roman alphabet. Naturally the French use something different but what would you expect from them. I am guessing here but seeing they have invented a Maori word for passport I expect that they invented one for email as well.

Being different for the sake of being different is what can best be described as arogant petty barstardry and does nothing for international relations. And yes the Maori are no different to the Yanks on that (Aluminium in 180+ languages and Aluminum in one, metre in 180+ languages and meter in one - etc).
You guys will get it right eventually.

Also, with the Russians massed in one area with no real maneuvering room (except to fall back), is a recipe for disaster.

Get the arty working long and start walking it in.

Right. Build a shoulder on the Ukrainian left flank, and then use the exposed positions of the Russians against them in the south.

Hmm - I wonder if Putin and Russia were schrewd enough to game plan the Ukraine Special Project into a calculated mobilization of NATO and disastrous embargo's that only strengthened the Ruble, and sytematically attack the Eurodollar (and US currency dominance). By Russia Central Bank valuation of gold pegged to oil as well as driving the cost of crude and natural gas globally - and shutting off fertilizer supplies - he has set the stage for a.) economic disaster in Europe, b.) massive price escalation forcing citizens to eat or freeze, c.) shut off Germany entirely across all economic sectors which will probably collapse the EU.

Meanwhile our weapons industry futrures are soaring with DoD donations of advanced weaponry from our existing readiness inventory, dumping $Billions into replenishing inventory and advanced R&D.

Our (US) Energy Grid is heavy orange alert heading to red, with a little relief due to heavy rains in last two weeks - 100 food processing plants have been destroyed, CA passed a law that Independent truckers amy no longer operate in CA all while our supply chain are toast from west coast port and food distribution constipation.

Am I reading this wrong?

Add Green zealots carrying the banner of zero carbon balance by focing farmers off diesel, onto organic with no transition grace, masive inflation, China committed to taking Taiwan, yet another bio disaster in the next best Covid/Monkeypox/whatever - to try to force mask and shot mandates.

Whatever could go wrong?
This seems like a very distinct possibility. Perhaps it wasn't the original plan but now this is what the Russians may be doing. Essentially sit back and use up their stores of soviet era shells and arty to annihilate ukrainians in trenches while minimally exposing themselves. This forces the US/Nato to pour more and more support into the country, much of which is useless in a trench war, while Russia turns the energy tap off to the EU to boil the continent in discontent. A sort of Verdun but on a much larger and more consequential scale.

Already there are lots of signs of instability in Europe, and the supply of aid from the EU has pretty much dried up completely. The Italian elections in a few weeks will be a real preview of whats to come. Terribly interesting times ahead.

Supply to Ukraine from European NATO nations is ongoing, as it is from the US and other nations around the world.

The UAF engaged in combat within Ukraine have absorbed nearly all that they can at this point in time, aside from the ongoing need for expendables and a trickle of replacement personnel and equipment. There is a continuing small but significant indigenous build-up of strength via expansion of existing units, and the addition of some newly formed units.

Enough small arms, web gear, and personal kit (including protective vests) for over 500,000 troops has been transferred but not yet deployed within Ukraine.

The numbers of Javelin and NLAW sent to Ukraine have been highly publicized, but there have been even more AT-4 and LAW type weapons sent. At one point about 2 months ago it was reported that there were 10x AT weapons for every operational tank in the entire Russian army.

Additional tranches of supply are being worked up, with the amounts being decided on by NATO or by individual nations alone and/or in concert with NATO, based on what the countries feel they can readily afford (both in cost and in terms of maintaining operational capability). Contracts for additional production of many of the types of munitions being supplied have been let. Some of the manufacturers here in the US have been running expanded and/or additional shifts for several months.

Training of units of varying size is being performed at dispersed sites around NATO and in other countries. This includes additional heavy equipment like HIMARS/MLRS and the new NASAMS units. Most sites are not being publicized, although a few like the infantry and artillery training bases in the UK have had some press coverage. Entire combat maneuver units are being trained and worked up to operational status, as well as the accompanying logistic and maintenance support units. SOF and other specialized units are also being trained.

As I mentioned upthread, Ukrainian pilots are already being trained on Western airframes.

There is a mostly quiet but amazingly solid methodology being employed in the planning and implementation of the build-up of the UAF - in concert with the effects of sanctions on the ability of the RF to produce - the primary focus being to keep Ukrainian manpower losses to a minimum while accomplishing the goal of reducing the RF military to the point where they are either unable or unwilling to continue the war.

Whether things will work out as we would like them to, or not, is of course open to question - but I would not go placing any bets against Ukraine etal just yet.

Since Putin is working with Hitler's playbook, it would make sense that he'd fall for the same ruse...
If Putin had his own von Manstein in command (assuming that, unlike Hitler he listened to the man) he'd have rolled up Ukraine or just avoided the whole enterprise.
Supply to Ukraine from European NATO nations is ongoing, as it is from the US and other nations around the world.
Great info. By the 18 month anniversary of the invasion in July 2023 Ukraine will have one of the best equipped, trained and combat-blooded militaries in the world.

When this war done by 2024, and the UAF is fielding F-16s, Abrams, Patriots (or equivalent) and more HIMARS, Russia will be thanking their good fortune plus Ukraine's democratic principles and its EU/NATO commitments/aspirations that Kiyv doesn't march on Moscow.

Last edited:
Interesting development on the sanctions front. The G7 has agreed a cap on Russian fuel costs (details from BBC):

Group of Seven (G7) finance ministers have announced they plan to implement a price cap on Russian oil.
The cap will help fight inflation while delivering a blow to Moscow's ability to finance the war in Ukraine, US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen says.
The oil price cap plan is "specifically designed" to reduce Russian revenues and its ability to "fund its war of aggression", according to the agreement.
The full document from G7 finance ministers also says it is designed to limit the "impact of Russia's war on global energy prices, particularly for low and middle-income countries".
It claims this will work by "only permitting service providers to continue to do business related to Russian seaborne oil and petroleum products sold at or below the price cap".
This will be achieved, the document says, by preventing shipping companies from transporting Russian oil via the sea unless it has been purchased at below the price cap.
There is no detail yet at what level the cap will be set, but the document says this will be "publicly communicated in a clear and transparent manner".

Of course, Russia doesn't like it and had already threatened responses before the G7 decision:

Before the G7 announcement today, the Kremlin warned that imposing a price cap on Russian oil exports would trigger Russian retaliation.
"Companies that impose a price cap will not be among the recipients of Russian oil," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.
The aim of the price ceiling is to curb Russian oil profits that are helping to finance Russia's war in Ukraine.
"The adoption of such a decision will lead to significant destabilisation of the oil markets," Peskov warned.
World prices for oil and gas have soared amid energy shortages linked to the Ukraine war - although the price of oil has fallen since its June peak.
The EU plans to impose an embargo on Russian crude oil from 5 December. It will apply to crude shipped by tanker and most piped supplies.
China and India - major trading partners for Russia - may not follow G7 policy on Russian oil, analysts say. They have not joined the Western sanctions targeting Russia.

Last edited:
I think, based on anecdotal evidence, just about everyone in the west is gearing up for NATO standards and ditching their Soviet equipment.
That is an interesting point you brought up. I'm curious about that now myself.

Excerpts from an opinion piece I read this morning:

With Ukrainian forces now on the offensive seeking to push back Russian invaders and even reclaim territory, some are likely to wonder how a smaller force can leverage the tactical proficiency, weaponry, and combined arms maneuver techniques necessary to prevail.

Former Operation Iraqi Freedom infantry task force commander Lt. Col. Scott Rutter (ret.), who helped lead the 3rd Infantry Division's famous assault on Baghdad in 2003, offered some key insights on this issue during an interview with the National Interest. Rutter's unit engaged and destroyed units of the Iraqi Republican Guard during those now famous battles at the Baghdad airport.

"The counteroffensive needs to be focused on the kinetic fight but also on [the] identification of high-value targets. Reconnaissance is key," Rutter said. "Overmatch against tanks may not be possible, but it is not just tanks but also the effects of reconnaissance and precision," he added.

[...]

Rutter added that alongside the need for targeted precision, fast-arriving intelligence information, and reconnaissance support, there will still be a need to "generate effects" and "break up the synchronization of Russian forces by going after their logistics, command and control, and their collection assets. [The] destruction of a Russian brigade command post may be more valuable than destroying twelve tanks."

[...]

Certainly, Ukraine has some of the mechanized vehicles, tanks, and infantry carriers it needs. Kyiv has also received tactical vehicles and Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles (MRAPs) from the United States and its allies. With effective reconnaissance and the ability to target and destroy Russian command and control nodes from stand-off distances, Ukraine may well have success re-taking territory.

Interesting thought-piece, Thump, although I disagree with a few of Rutter's comments. Most specifically, a focus on purely kinetic fires is the stuff of last century. You need to integrate kinetic and non-kinetic effects to deliver maximum impact. Use of non-kinetic fires (e.g. EW) can disrupt adversary comms and sensors without actually having to locate the key HVT.

If you're going up against a more numerous adversary, then you need to bring every capability to the table. Dislocating his C3 hinders his ability to respond and sows/exacerbates morale problems among the adversary force because they can't call in supporting fires, lack situational awareness of what's happening around them, and run greater risk of being surprised (because they can only act at the limit of their organic sensors, often the Mk.I Eyeball.

Last edited:
Interesting thought-piece, Thump, although I disagree with a few of Rutter's comments. Most specifically, a focus on purely kinetic fires is the stuff of last century. You need to integrate kinetic and non-kinetic effects to deliver maximum impact. Use of non-kinetic fires (e.g. EW) can disrupt adversary comms and sensors without actually having to locate the key HVT.

Agreed, I think he gives the information/EW angle short-shrift. On the plus side, the Ukrainians seem pretty talented at that too, so it doesn't really change the article's conclusion. I also think it understates the urgent need to speed up delivery of equipment and weapons, even as the offensive has apparently already started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back