"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's infuriating that a couple of dozen more Patriot systems and several super-container ship's worth of ammo haven't already been sent. I am not slamming any one nation in particular. ---- -- ------- -------- ---- --- ------- ---- ---- ------ ----- -- -- ---------- --- --------.

I was thinking along the same lines.

Striking their drone manufacturing sites would not only benefit Israel, but Ukraine as well.

If this is the case, then Iran will have screwed Russia in a round-about way.
Hmm, Israel first needs to be able to hit them. And doing so, it will escalate the situation in the Middle East further, distracting the western countries even more from the Ukraine. I don't think we need another full blown war. The Gaza situation is bad enough as it is.

Hawaii is not protected by NATO because it is in the Pacific but I believe Alaska is included because it is in the contiguous US.

That said if Alaska is gifted back to the Russians as compensation for the Ukrainian war then NATO will definitely not protect it.

Alaska is not part of the contiguous US, as it does not border any of the lower 48 states. Even the US military classifies Alaska as OCONUS (Outside Continental United States) and considers it an Overseas Assignment.

Alaska and Hawaii are not part of the contiguous states and are included in the definition of non-foreign OCONUS. NON-FOREIGN OCONUS AREA

Perhaps, but even here in its own thread we're distracted from Ukraine. That's where Israel is dangerous for sucking the US and the West's attention.
However, I will bet solid money on the fact that Putin has worked a deal with Iran for the distraction and considering Iran's hatred for Israel, they were more than happy to do it.

On this same note, I would also keep an eye on North Korea.

Alaska is not part of the contiguous US, as it does not border any of the lower 48 states. Even the US military classifies Alaska as OCONUS (Outside Continental United States) and considers it an Overseas Assignment.

Alaska and Hawaii are not part of the contiguous states and are included in the definition of non-foreign OCONUS. NON-FOREIGN OCONUS AREA

That said, it is still territory of a NATO member in North America, and therefore still has Art 5 protection.

That said, it is still territory of a NATO member in North America, and therefore still has Art 5 protection.
But refer back to the Falklands.

The Malvinas are claimed by Argentina, but as a British possession, fall outside of the NATO language of national Proper.

This would be like saying that a Chinese attack on French Polynesia would involve a NATO response.

It won't.

But refer back to the Falklands.

The Malvinas are claimed by Argentina, but as a British possession, fall outside of the NATO language of national Proper.

This would be like saying that a Chinese attack on French Polynesia would involve a NATO response.

It won't.

Right, no argument here. Just look back at E EwenS 's post #29563 to get my point. A Russian attack on Alaska would most certainly be legitimate cause for invocation of Art 5.

The tropic of Cancer is the Southern limit for NATO.

Member states have no obligation to come to the defence of any territory below the line.
The Falkland islands and Hawaii are both South of the Tropic of Cancer so neither would
trigger article 5.

The tropic of Cancer is the Southern limit for NATO.

Member states have no obligation to come to the defence of any territory below the line.
The Falkland islands and Hawaii are both South of the Tropic of Cancer so neither would
trigger article 5.
So, had Argentina's Type 209 submarine ARA San Luis managed to get herself prewar to a position north of the Tropic of Cancer (perhaps via a visit to Cuba, with Argentina being one of the first e-establish diplomatic relations with Cuba in 1973), and torpedoed RN ships north of the Tropic of Cancer as the Task Force was heading southward, does NATO care? As for Hawaii, as part of the USA, I can't believe that NATO would stand by if Russia attacked the place. Surely that's not a viable loophole?

I believe that there would be a reaponse from the QUAD members if a possession in the Pacific were attacked, not NATO.

The language in NATO points to the member nation's sovereign soil being violated, not territorial possessions.

While Hawaii is a state, it's also a remote possession, like Guam.

In the case of Hawaii NATO could go to article 4.
  • Under Article 4 of NATO's founding treaty, members can bring any issue of concern, especially related to the security of a member country, to the table for discussion within the North Atlantic Council.
Since 1949, article 4 has been invoked seven times.

Under article 5, members are required to assist as they see fit. Whether this is a strongly worded diplomatic response,
economic sanctions, or direct military involvement is up to each member state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back