"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My physics is a bit rusty, but this Russian nuclear torpedo that goes 200 km/h under water (Same model they tested on Kursk perhaps?) and when detonated causes a massive wave which washes away Ireland, Scotland and England, why does it suddenly disappear in the English channel and fails to wash away half of Europe? Is this some new Russian superior technology we are unaware of? Should we be worried? (Asking for the Swedish PM who is concerned they will set one off in the Baltic now that we joined NATO.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SnTkc0r6gk
Honestly, the propagandist speaking is clearly not addressing a number of things that should be obvious.

1. The size of a nation doesn't diminish its value to the world: Ukraine isn't all that big, but it's known as the bread-basket of Europe, for example.
  2. The size of a nation doesn't diminish its value to its people: If it's your country, it's usually the most important –– if for no other reason than you live there and have friends and family who do.
  3. The concept of mutually-assured destruction: Both nations have sufficient firepower to annihilate each other. It's functionally irrelevant if it can be done with 1 x SS-X-29/30 with a multitude of nuclear warheads (I think it was 16), or a hundred: Technically the premise of MAD is based on not only having the means to wipe another country off the face of the earth, but to be able to do so, even if the other side wiped out a sizable proportion of your nuclear-weapons delivering capability. During the Cold War, the United States had based this premise that, even if the USSR strike first and wipe out 90% of our capability: The remaining 10% would still ensure their country becomes a lifeless parking lot that could never rebuild itself.
On this last item, there was a quote from a movie called Command and Control, based on a Eric Schlosser's book of the same name, which was delivered by the DMCCC (effectively the 2nd in command of an ICBM crew):

"You had to be prepared to destroy an etnire civilization, and we were trained on that. I still, today, refer to myself and other missileers as "crew-dogs". You had to almost be rote in your actions and not question the fact that you were going to destroy an entire civilization if you had to launch those ICBM's.

As heartless as it sounds, I never had a problem with it: I was doing it for my country, I was doing it to protect my country. The whole reason I sat out there was to *prevent* that kind of thing from happening –– that's what deterrence was about, but deterrence is worthless unless you demostrate that you're willing to do it too. And we always had to demostrate that I would walk out there and turn those keys in a second, and I would kill ten million people, and never hesitate."

It's kind of sad that you have to threaten to unload armageddon upon another country in order to keep it's leaders from waging war, isn't it? Unfortunately, looking at the state of affairs in Ukraine: A nation that had a nuclear arsenal; then got invaded upon giving it up seems to be testament to this.

1. The size of a nation doesn't diminish its value to the world: Ukraine isn't all that big, but it's known as the bread-basket of Europe, for example.
Once it joins the EU, Ukraine will be by far the largest nation in the group. It's a trick of the map that makes countries closer to the equator appear smaller.

main-qimg-79879033328693a45703acadc9a41cc3-lq.jpg

Honestly, the propagandist speaking is clearly not addressing a number of things that should be obvious.

2. The size of a nation doesn't diminish its value to its people: If it's your country, it's usually the most important –– if for no other reason than you live there and have friends and family who do.
  3. The concept of mutually-assured destruction: Both nations have sufficient firepower to annihilate each other. It's functionally irrelevant if it can be done with 1 x SS-X-29/30 with a multitude of nuclear warheads (I think it was 16), or a hundred: Technically the premise of MAD is based on not only having the means to wipe another country off the face of the earth, but to be able to do so, even if the other side wiped out a sizable proportion of your nuclear-weapons delivering capability. During the Cold War, the United States had based this premise that, even if the USSR strike first and wipe out 90% of our capability: The remaining 10% would still ensure their country becomes a lifeless parking lot that could never rebuild itself.
On this last item, there was a quote from a movie called Command and Control, based on a Eric Schlosser's book of the same name, which was delivered by the DMCCC (effectively the 2nd in command of an ICBM crew):

"You had to be prepared to destroy an etnire civilization, and we were trained on that. I still, today, refer to myself and other missileers as "crew-dogs". You had to almost be rote in your actions and not question the fact that you were going to destroy an entire civilization if you had to launch those ICBM's.

As heartless as it sounds, I never had a problem with it: I was doing it for my country, I was doing it to protect my country. The whole reason I sat out there was to *prevent* that kind of thing from happening –– that's what deterrence was about, but deterrence is worthless unless you demostrate that you're willing to do it too. And we always had to demostrate that I would walk out there and turn those keys in a second, and I would kill ten million people, and never hesitate."

It's kind of sad that you have to threaten to unload armageddon upon another country in order to keep it's leaders from waging war, isn't it? Unfortunately, looking at the state of affairs in Ukraine: A nation that had a nuclear arsenal; then got invaded upon giving it up seems to be testament to this.

At the gate of Carswell AFB, where I served with the 7th Bomb Wing, stood a sign with our wing motto: "War is our profession. Peace is our product."

This:
"Russian President Vladimir Putin declared himself ready to talk — but not with democratically elected Zelenskyy, whom he considers illegitimate."
is the most absurd thing I have heard from Putin so far.
He literally arranged Russia's presidential "elections" to keep himself in perpetual power and claims Zelensky, who was democratically elected, is illegitimate?

Just when you think Putin couldn't be any bigger of a dumbass, he ups his game...

Once it joins the EU, Ukraine will be by far the largest nation in the group. It's a trick of the map that makes countries closer to the equator appear smaller.
What I meant is that it's not even in the Top 10: Russia is the largest, Canada is second, the US or China depending on source are 3/4, and so on. Ukraine is 46th in size. Admittedly the UK is 64th, and Germany is 79th in size...

At the gate of Carswell AFB, where I served with the 7th Bomb Wing, stood a sign with our wing motto: "War is our profession. Peace is our product."
That's a pretty good quote. Generally, the typical slogan with SAC was "Peace is Our Profession", and many add "War is our Hobby" as SaparotRob SaparotRob posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back