Allied Gold-Match (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jank said:
If 22% of each wing has got got inly 70% lift, then the totasl loss over the entire wing is 9%.

each wing is 18.5 feet. 11.43 feet of which are developing 100% lift. 4.07 feet of which are developing only 70% lift. (30% less)

With 11.43 feet developing 100% lift and 4.07 feet developing 70% lift therre is 9% less lift than if the entire 18.5 feet developd 100% lift.

Each wing is about 18.5 feet, 14.5 feet of which is developing about 98.1% lift and 4 feet of which is devloping about 91.4% (I erroneously used 70% in my earlier post - you must have missed where Soren corrected me!).

The problem in your math is that 11.43 + 4.07 = 15.5, not 18.5. Somewhere you lost 3 feet off each wing!

=S=

Lunatic

Soren,

I've checked out some aifoil/windtunnel simulation software. What I can find with demo's that run under $300 seems pretty crappy so far.

It appears the good stuff is in the $600-$1000 range.

The following seems the most complete package... with the most complete price too:

http://www.hanleyinnovations.com/airfoils.html

They have a "lite" version for $295, but it only does NACA airfoils:

http://www.hanleyinnovations.com/vfnaca.html

The demo at http://www.hanleyinnovations.com/vfdemo.html gives an idea of how the program works and what it can do.

I'll keep looking.

I am pretty sure all of these programs should run under WinXP.

=S=

Lunatic

Thank you very much RG.

Im not sure yet, but I think its going to be the "NACA Visualfoil program" for 264$ to begin with, and that last one looks good for my modelling project.

Once again thanks for taking the time to find these, I appriciate it !

You're welcome - but... I'm not done yet Soren.

I have a list of things to research (typically about 1/3rd are for this forum). I put an hour, sometimes two into it most days. I don't usually allow myself any more time than that or I get nothing else done. I bumped this to the top of the list today since we both have an interest in this stuff. I'm sure it will come to the top again in the next day or two. However, usually about 90% of the good finds come in the first hour or so of searching - in this case a little more because I had to install a bunch of demos and rule out some (like "Design Foil" which just has a bad interface).

Anyway, please wait at least a week to plunk down the cash, as I might find something better. Also, give ProFili2 a good look, it's only $10 to register it, and then a snailmail delay to get the release code. It looks pretty damn decent for $10.

=S=

Lunatic

the lancaster kicks ass said:
but mightn't there be other charges??

I just got back an email, pricing has changed slightly:

The basic ProFili2 version is 10 EU ($13 USD), the pro version is 40 EU ($50 USD), and there is another associated program called IsPlot (not sure what it does) which is 10 EU ($13 USD).

Beyond that there seems to be no other charges.

=S=

Lunatic

RG_Lunatic said:
You're welcome - but... I'm not done yet Soren.

I have a list of things to research (typically about 1/3rd are for this forum). I put an hour, sometimes two into it most days. I don't usually allow myself any more time than that or I get nothing else done. I bumped this to the top of the list today since we both have an interest in this stuff. I'm sure it will come to the top again in the next day or two. However, usually about 90% of the good finds come in the first hour or so of searching - in this case a little more because I had to install a bunch of demos and rule out some (like "Design Foil" which just has a bad interface).

Anyway, please wait at least a week to plunk down the cash, as I might find something better. Also, give ProFili2 a good look, it's only $10 to register it, and then a snailmail delay to get the release code. It looks pretty damn decent for $10.

=S=

Lunatic

Thank you RG.

I'll check out the program sometime in this week, or the next, as Im a little busy in this weeks. But I'll wait for your search results before buying anything.

Thank you for taking the time to find these, I hardly ever have time for it myself so its great help.

Pages and pages of math.

The vertical component of lift at 22.5° is 92.387%, so the loss is 7.621% ... (92.387 + 7.613 = 100). The vertical component at 45° is 70.711%, so the loss of 29.289%.

The vertical component of lift is the (total lift multiplied by the cosine of the bank angle), the loss is (the total lift multiplied by 1 - the cosine of the bank angle), and the g-load factor is (1/cosine of the bank angle). The horizontal component of the lift is the (total lift multiplied by the sine of the bank angle).

All done with lift math and moving to another thread ... good luck guys.

Wait ... I see the math was back in 2005 ...

Never mind ... forget it.

50-cal shells will take an empty 55-gallon barrel and tumble it 30 - 50 feet when they hit ... and that's with 1 hit. I've done it when I was in the Army. There was a single-shot 50-cal spotting rifle above the barrel of the so-called M40 106 mm recoiless rifle (really a 105 mm, but they used the 106 name to reduce confusion with the failed M27 105mm unit). The 50 hits pretty darned hard for a fact.

Not too good against armor, but anything unarmored (like an airplane) is badly damaged. It will absolutey clean the decks of an armored cruiser or any other ship ... but you might also get shot down doing it by the cruiser's defensive weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back