An Expatriate from Wales

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello, welcome to our funny little world.
The part of Wales I liked best was the Brecon Beacons and The Gower.
Cheers
John

Greetings John,

I also really enjoy Brecon Beacons. I'm also rather partial to Afan. But living in the country I still like the rural areas and small towns better. I avoid cities as much as possible. I don't like going to Cardiff unless I absolutely have to.

Cymru am byth!

Gwaredd

Greetings John,

I also really enjoy Brecon Beacons. I'm also rather partial to Afan. But living in the country I still like the rural areas and small towns better. I avoid cities as much as possible. I don't like going to Cardiff unless I absolutely have to.

Cymru am byth!

Gwaredd

Hello Gwaredd,
My niece goes to Cardiff Uni and loves it there. Cardiff did bloody well getting into the Premier league too.
Walking up Pen y Fan was utterly amazing. Better than Snowdon in my opinion.
I won't mention rugby haha...I'm guessing that you are a supporter !!
Not sure how old you are but, I did enjoy watching the Welsh members of the Barbarians play in 1973.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

JPR Williams. An icon

Cheers
John

Thanks Meatloaf,

I'm glad I found this site. I've seen others but none were specifically devoted to WWII aircraft. I see your from the South. I have a fondness for the South since I was a Professor of History for 25 years. My focus was on Antebellum and Postbellum South. I am firmly convinced that the South could have won the war between the states if they had gotten the support they needed from England and France. The South, in my humble opinion, had much better leadership. Lee, Jackson, Longstreet, etc. If the South had won I believe we would be living in a much better country than we do today. What do you think?

Regards,

Gwaredd

PS: Nothing gets me more upset when I hear people say that the war was fought over slavery. The South had been grappling over this issue for years prior to the outbreak of the conflict. No! It was fought over a way of life or culture if you will.

Hello Gwaredd,
My niece goes to Cardiff Uni and loves it there. Cardiff did bloody well getting into the Premier league too.
Not sure how old you are but, I did enjoy watching the Welsh members of the Barbarians play in 1973.

JPR Williams. An icon

Cheers
John

Hello John,

Well if you can remember back to 1973 than our ages are about in the same "ball park" as the Yanks would say. Ah, Rugby, yes indeed. Wales took the Championship this year! What? me a supporter? Now where did you ever get that idea. :p

On a similar note the backs coach of the Welsh Rugby team shares my name. My name is Gareth in English.

Cheerio!

Gwaredd

PS: You can read about it here: Blaenavon RFC win Swalec National League Division 4 East title - Wales Online

Croeso.

See, doing medical school in Wales has taught me something! :lol:

The part of Wales I liked best was the Brecon Beacons and The Gower.

Just as well it is on my doorstep then, always good to relax in the Gower on the weekend when the weather is nice. Hopefully get to do it a bit more now that 'summer' is here (shame it involves exams though)...

Hello Gwaredd,

JPR Williams. An icon

Cheers
John

Can't argue with JPR Williams... Think I have that game on DVD somewhere at home.

Still can't bring myself to support the Welsh in rugby though. Just as well we have the Lions even if there are too many Welshman going!

Cardiff on the other hand, small rivalry between the 2 uni's you could say (the GEM's beat the undergrad medics all day long ;)). At least we won the rugby in the inter-varsity game this year :D

Last edited:
Thanks Meatloaf,

I'm glad I found this site. I've seen others but none were specifically devoted to WWII aircraft. I see your from the South. I have a fondness for the South since I was a Professor of History for 25 years. My focus was on Antebellum and Postbellum South. I am firmly convinced that the South could have won the war between the states if they had gotten the support they needed from England and France. The South, in my humble opinion, had much better leadership. Lee, Jackson, Longstreet, etc. If the South had won I believe we would be living in a much better country than we do today. What do you think?

Regards,

Gwaredd

PS: Nothing gets me more upset when I hear people say that the war was fought over slavery. The South had been grappling over this issue for years prior to the outbreak of the conflict. No! It was fought over a way of life or culture if you will.

Ohhh abit of the slap in the face to us Northerners! :)

Croeso.

See, doing medical school in Wales has taught me something! :lol:

Just as well it is on my doorstep then, always good to relax in the Gower on the weekend when the weather is nice. Hopefully get to do it a bit more now that 'summer' is here (shame it involves exams though)...

Can't argue with JPR Williams... Think I have that game on DVD somewhere at home.

Still can't bring myself to support the Welsh in rugby though. Just as well we have the Lions even if there are too many Welshman going!

Cardiff on the other hand, small rivalry between the 2 uni's you could say (the GEM's beat the undergrad medics all day long ;)). At least we won the rugby in the inter-varsity game this year :D

Interesting! My Doc studied at Cardiff U. Small world and getting smaller. You "(s)till can't bring myself to support the Welsh in rugby though." Well mate give it go after all we won the Championship this year. They're not blighters you know. :lol:

Iechyd da!

Gwaredd

Thanks Meatloaf,

Regards,

Gwaredd

I'm from Minnesota, originally.
I don't know, I'm not really sure that America would exist in any real form if the south would have won. Probably would have ended up with three countries instead of one. The north, the south and the west. As much as it was denied, slavery was a big issue and the English limited their support precisely because the south still had the institution in place. WW2 sure might have come out differently without the USA as a whole nation, industrialized north and agricultural south.
Paul.

I'm from Minnesota, originally.
I don't know, I'm not really sure that America would exist in any real form if the south would have won. Probably would have ended up with three countries instead of one. The north, the south and the west. As much as it was denied, slavery was a big issue and the English limited their support precisely because the south still had the institution in place. WW2 sure might have come out differently without the USA as a whole nation, industrialized north and agricultural south.
Paul.

Well, you make some good points. However, England was ready to support the South but Davis sent two of the worst negotiators possible. They completely turned-off the PM and he wouldn't even see them any longer. Slavery only became a "big issue" after the Northern Copperheads got their hands into it. And what exacerbated the problem was the whole Kansas issue.

I might just add that you Aussies sound a little silly yourselves. :D Well, OK, bar then. I'm used to pubs. I live in a rural area with a lot of hillbillies and they mostly drink cheap knats-p**s!

Yeah, I do have a "silly Welsh accent."

Cymru am byth!

Cept I am a Yank expat, playing at being an Aussie, so no accent, mate!
And I can't stand Bud. My beer of choice is Anchor Steam, a San Francisco beer.

Not gonna get into the N&S debate. Learned my lesson!

Bill.

Noswaith dda mate and croeso from another down under expat. Did someone mention the Brecon Beacons, my memories are of very waterlogged weekends walking in clouds and pubs closed on Sundays and that bl**dy long drive from and to Hereford in the back of a Bedford 3 tonner. Ahhh "Happy Days".

Good to have you on board my friend, and looking forward to see your progress with the Mustang and as for the metal bits, yes there PE parts. Have a look at Hannants site, they stock heaps of them and Eduard do a damn good job of making them.

Cept I am a Yank expat, playing at being an Aussie, so no accent, mate!
And I can't stand Bud. My beer of choice is Anchor Steam, a San Francisco beer.

Not gonna get into the N&S debate. Learned my lesson!

Bill.

Oh well, that's different. So I'm assuming the blokes from down-under think you have a funny American accent. No, I don't get into the N&S debate either unless someone brings it up then it's full steam ahead.

Gwaredd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back