Anglo Boer war.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And their own Army too!

They were integrated into the (British) Indian Army after the Indian Mutiny / when the role of the EIC in India was changed.

It's complicated but they had different unit numbering pay scales so integration was tricky

'Sahib' by Richard Holmes (excellent BTW) gives a detailed explanation

Cool stuff, rog and plan, didn't know that. I think Emac was just making a quick comparision, something akin to fighting for McDonald's Big Mac Regiment or "I'm fighting for PETA!"!!!

Doesn't PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals?
:shock:

You know the 'Banana Wars' fought in Haiti, Nicaragua, etc.,
by the Marines were to protect the interest of the United
Fruit Co. But when you read passed that, you find that some
of the best leaders and junglefighters came out of this bit
of Corporation war...Most of the Marine officers started out as
Sgts in Haiti, etc.

Well the United Kingdom was totally bankrupt and in debt to Uncle Sam at the end of WW2.

End of Empire, end of superpower status, no more ruling the seas.

A twist is that the most greatest achievement, in the end, ruined it all.

Ah well. Tbh...I'm glad. Self determination and democracy should rule, not a distant Empire.

FREEDOM!( maybe I live in Scotland too long!)

Hell Basket the British Empire was broke by the end of WW1. The end of WW2 just put the nail into the coffin for the British Empire. As an old Empire subsided to make room for a new one.. Its called the United States of America
One Empire subsides to be replaced by another. It was just history repeating itself. Eventually so it will happen to the USA's Economic Empire. But which country will replace it is conjecture and isn't likely to happen just yet

I'll have to put some pictures of the Boer War bits and pieces we have sometime - my great-grandfather went out there, and we still have his messtin, medals, ammo bag and a worn down brass belt buckle - all with his service number on them (it's only four digits which surprised me)

I'll have to put some pictures of the Boer War bits and pieces we have sometime - my great-grandfather went out there, and we still have his messtin, medals, ammo bag and a worn down brass belt buckle - all with his service number on them (it's only four digits which surprised me)

I would like to see those Medvedya

I'm interested in seeing them also. Brass belt buckle... I had one of them when I first joined. You have to polish those damn things near everyday to keep them looking nice!

Being british and proud today i am not proud of some of the things done to other people in the past in other countrys,but the same can be said of all countrys and peoples including the boers.Was the land theirs in the first place ?? and how did they get it ?? The empire is dead may it rest in peace.

Being british and proud today i am not proud of some of the things done to other people in the past in other countrys,but the same can be said of all countrys and peoples including the boers.Was the land theirs in the first place ?? and how did they get it ?? The empire is dead may it rest in peace.

The Boers did try to buy the land or exchange with the Zulu's for some land, but then they killed the Boer people who went there to talk to them the battle of Blood river was the end of the Zulus might. Most of the Boers went where no one lived, they did not go to take other peoples land. If you read more about it you will see what I mean.

Would love to see them mate.

I was researching my dad's regiment, South Lancashire Regiment , Prince of Wales Volunteers when I found this web site. Is it too late to add to this thread or has it been laid to rest.
South Lancs

First time I've been on a site likje this so if I make any mistakes then please forgive me.
Njaco - I've been through the old mail and I'll try not to duplicate any but my questions are aimed at Henk.
First Henk, if you are not interested in more questions then let me know and I'll stop. If you are then my first question is why do you refer to General DeLa Rey as the first gorilla leader.
South Lancs

Quote "General De la Rey also invented the Gorilla war fare tactic which has been used all over the world made him very famous and it proved very successful against the British Army."

Sorry !first mistake I mis quoted but I'm trying to find out how to quote others comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back