Annoyed by All Those Scam Calls?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Moved our house phone to a VOIP system about 13 years ago. It's set to pickup after 3 rings. You'd be surprised at how well it gets them to drop the call. Still get somewhere past 100 spam calls a week on average.

At the office we used to get a call every so often saying, "Hi! We are your copier company. We need to check our records. Could you tell us which model copier you have?"

Sounded reasonable to me, so I would go look at the copier and tell them the info. They would ask my first name and then say thanks. But next we would get a call asking for me and saying that the price of toner was really getting jacked up in the near future so we should order several containers before it does. First time that occurred I told them I'd have to ask someone about that and they hung up abruptly. It was a scam. They were not our copier company and the price they wanted for toner was horribly high.

So when we would get the "what kind of copier" call I would reply that it was a Brewster F2A or Brownie Hawkeye or something. Finally, I just started telling them that there was some mistake; we did not have a copier. After our copier broke and could not be repaired that was even true.

P.S.

If anyone needs any toner for a Brewster F2A, we had a lot left over. I can make you a heck of a deal on it.

Last edited:
I used to get hit with phone scammers quite often.
I started answering the phone (when I spotted a suspect number on caller ID) with:
"Redding Police Department, Internet Crimes Division, Officer Dave speaking.
How may I help you?"

They'd immediately hang up :p
I had this one line. I would pick up the phone, no matter who was calling, and say "North American Air Defense Command. This is not a secure line. (my last name) speaking."
It got rid of a lot of people.

One time I was running a launch at Vandenberg AFB and before the countdown started I checked the comm on my console. I pushed the switch for the direct line to the Missile Flight Control Officer and got FM radio station KRUZ in Santa Barbara. I told the comm guys that while the music was soothing I might really need to get hold of the MFCO. They looked baffled and then later told me a line had shorted to another one.

I have hoped that getting Rush on the line would send the scammers own technicians on a wild goose chase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back