We do not answer ANY calls to our land line. I don't have caller ID on it, so I don't rush to see who it is. Let it go to voicemail, and then pick up if we recognize (and like) the caller as they leave a message, or just listen to the voice mail, if they leave one. Most robocalls don't leave a message, so there's not much there.
Most robos we get are for Medicare stuff or automobile extended warranty pitches. Once in a great while, the voice on the other end is a pathetic whining young person who opens the conversation/voice mail as "Hi grandma". No grandkids. I know, I know, I must be one the last dinosaurs with a land line, but old habits die hard.
For my cell phone, I only answer calls from my contacts. The ring tone lets me know. I'll check the voice message if they leave one. Once I receive an unknown call, undesired voice mail or not, I block the number. I know there are robo call systems that create new outbound phone numbers at the speed of light, rendering my block ineffective against the a**holes calling me if they try again, but still, they get blocked.
It's sad that so many people fall for scams and are robbed. And while I scratch my head as I consider their gullibility and lack of reasonable skepticism, they are probably honest (but sometimes greedy) people who are easily beguiled and taken advantage of by the wasted-space animals on the other end of the call.
Our fellow man's penchant for attempting to steal from us, or to just annoy us, knows no bounds.
End of sermon. I'll call you for a donation.
