Annoyed by All Those Scam Calls?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I answer the phone, "Immigration." They usually hang up. If they begin talking, I tell them, "This is immigration. We've been looking for you." It has reduced the calls but not entirely.

Usually I answer with a pinched nose pretending the answer machine saying ... " the phone number you are trying to reach , has been disconnected. Please call your information or try to later again." Never try again.

I make a "beep" noise when I answer. That is usually enough to get the recorded message or robot to start. Then I just repeat the "beep" every 10 seconds until they disconnect. Sometimes the robots decide a human is required and they either disconnect and contact a human who then calls me shortly thereafter, or transfer me to a human directly. I just "beep" at them every 10 seconds in order to waste as much of their time as possible.

I am thinking of recording a fax "beep-berp-squeal-boooooooo" and trying that next. :)

years ago I had a small rape alarm that was being sold to women who had to walk in suspect areas - hang it off the wrist and pull the plug to activate a 160db alarm.

Naturally the do-gooders had them banned very quickly but I used it pushed against the mouthpiece to deal with several phone pests. It died far too soon.

years ago I had a small rape alarm that was being sold to women who had to walk in suspect areas - hang it off the wrist and pull the plug to activate a 160db alarm.

Naturally the do-gooders had them banned very quickly but I used it pushed against the mouthpiece to deal with several phone pests. It died far too soon.
Stupid idea and rightly banned. for all the annoyance, trmrmbrt that the people here are just trying to do a job and make a living. Causing them physical harm is irresponsible.

Causing financial harm to a person that also effects the rest of their family that also often causes domestic violence and occasionally causes suicides is illegal and rightly so.

Causing physical harm to people who are trying to cause severe financial harm to their intended victims is fine by me as these scum seldom make it to court or suffer any harmful consequences from their actions.

If I could deafen all those @!#$%^&* who ring and tell me they are from my bank and my account needs action when I know that my bank has a system where they ring and say please contact your local bank using the phone number in the phone book I would not be the slightest bit unhappy

Same with all the scum who claim they are from Microsoft or the tax office or some freight company etc etc etc.

Preventing them from ripping other victims off is a public service

Several years ago, scammers called my Aunt, posing as a friend of mine, saying I was in jail in a nearby town and he needed to get $5,000 wired by Western Union to bail me out.

Without question, she got ready to go down to the local drug store to send the 5K via Western Union.

Just by pure chance, my Mom called her to visit and my Aunt told my Mom what was going on and my Mom told her that she had just spoken to me on the phone (I was at work and she had a question regarding frequencies for her scanner) and assured my Aunt that I was fine and she was being scammed.

I was absolutely furious when I found out and I can guarentee you, that if I ever found out who that was, I would have beaten them to within an inch of their life.

A scammer is nothing more than a predator and I have zero sympathy for them.

One thing I should add to this conversation

In Aus there is a system where you can add your phone numbers to a government do not call register which prohibits any soliciting from anyone except exempt scum like politicians and religious groups. One large company who thought that they were above the law recently got a 600,000 dollar fine.

After you register almost every cold call you get will be a scam so that makes it easy to sort the scum out. One recent call was "from" my bank and they had my bank, branch and account details correct so knowing my banks policy of never saying anything except please urgently contact your local branch I asked for the manager, who is a close friend. Needless to say the person they put on was not Bob.

I would have loved the screech alarm right then. Even better one that was 3 or 400 decibels.

For those of you in the US I doubt there is a do not call register anywhere so use the citizens initiated referendum/proposition system and get one installed in your state.

Both major parties will object strongly.

One because it is a businesses right to rip you off and the other because one of the worst offenders for scams has the family name Kennedy.

By the way, while in the US there is a Do Not Call list for individuals, there is no such list for businesses. At the company where I worked after I retired from the USAF, for months we got the same call Every Friggin' Day, "We want to provide you with a website." And every single time we told them that we already had a website and it was handled by our company HQ in California. The next day the same person would call again, after weeks of the same thing, finally adding, "We want to give you a better website!" as we hung up on them. I can't figure out why anyone would make that same call every day for months on end. What is that they say about the definition of insanity?

Stupid idea and rightly banned. for all the annoyance, trmrmbrt that the people here are just trying to do a job and make a living. Causing them physical harm is irresponsible.
I had to send some money by WU to someone I knew. The agent asked me plenty of questions to ascertain if I was being scammed. I am glad they did that. The agent also told me they were stopping plenty of unknowing people from sending money. My amount was small, only $100. But I was glad for what they were doing.

1663736848342.png

In the U.S. the "do not call" is not enforced. AT&T has a call number block for 100 numbers on land lines. Mine was used up in the first two weeks. It should be increased to at least 5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back