Another Lancaster to be made airworthy !!!! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
That's great news Gary ! Even back in 1995, the brother's told me they would like to get her airborne some day. The guy who looked after her (forgotten his name now!) said the same, and I believe they'd already had guys from the BBMF over to check her out. Marvellous if it comes off!

Colin, as far as I remember, the only main issue would be the integrity of the main spar. As NX611 is a late-production MkVII, there's a very good chance that the spar will be in good order, and pass the CAA requirements. The downside is, NX611, if it gets airborne, might take over the mantle of the only Lanc flying in Europe, if the British Government have their way, and 'scrap' the BBMF !!

Fantastic... seeing one fly is on my bucket list..

Other good news.. there is a complete Lancaster waiting to be assembled at the Fantasy of Flight in Florida. They just don't have the room to work on it. The facility is massive but there is no room for a 4 engine assembly.

Sad part is that even if they uncrated it today, it still could take 15 years to completely restore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back