ANOTHER REASON NOT TO DRINK AND DRIVE!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This accident only just happened last Sunday 26th November 2006. Driver was drunk was driving erratically and he launched his car through a barrier wall. plunging down an embankment of 10 metres (30ft) missed over head wires and landed car on its roof. He walked away without a scratch. But his wallet would not be unscathed as Queensland Railways will charge him over lost revenue and cancelled services. That tractor you see in top of photo skull dragged the car out of railway property. Another reason not to drink and drive
 

Attachments

  • Railway crash Courier Mail.JPG
    Railway crash Courier Mail.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 350
Very tricky getting to them when the cables are down on the vehicle.

One method is to SLIDE your boots along the ground starting from about 10 metres out. Move your boots a couple of inches at a time. That way the voltage potential between each foot is never more than a volt or two and you don't feel anything.

However if you walk in with a normal step, you can get a voltage potential difference of 200 + volts between your feet and BANG.

ALWAYS check for cables from a distance when you come across a vehicle accident.

ALWAYS check for drunks too, they are worse than cables to deal with.
 
Very tricky getting to them when the cables are down on the vehicle.

One method is to SLIDE your boots along the ground starting from about 10 metres out. Move your boots a couple of inches at a time. That way the voltage potential between each foot is never more than a volt or two and you don't feel anything.

However if you walk in with a normal step, you can get a voltage potential difference of 200 + volts between your feet and BANG.

ALWAYS check for cables from a distance when you come across a vehicle accident.

ALWAYS check for drunks too, they are worse than cables to deal with.

those cables carry 27,000 volts DC and safety requirement is 3 metres as the voltage can spark under 3 metres in any given direction. Kiwi it wouldn't matter if you shuffle side stepped or dance around those cables at 27,000 volts DC you would be fried and cooked as your body then becomes a conductor to earth. When the cabling does come down Kiwi standard proceedure is to contact the ECO (Electrical Co-ordinace Officer) so the power can be switched off from the sectional post markers in his office. and the Over Head electrical gang switched off the power completely at the local switch overhead structure. but also the cables are counter balanced by weights at intervals. unfortunately when the over head is broken or over head structures are damage that cabling can whip around like the tails of a whip making it more dangerous again. as a matter of interest the car missed all the over head cabling. safe way for dealing with downed cabling is leave it alone don't go near it if you ain't qualified. Oh by the way Kiwi i happen to work for Queensland Railways as a train crew Train Guard. and the above accident photographed happened only a few kilometres from my depot
 
Emac.

Yup, I was talking about standard feeds beside the road. There is no way I would go near those puppies. I was pointing out a method we are trained to use IF it is worth the risk.

We have a couple of 5,000 V AC feeds in our area. And they just get left well alone unless we have Power Company people with us to go get them off.

Our job is to rescue people, not fry.
 
think how much worse it'd be if a train had hit it too........

some years ago lanc a vandal was painting overhead bridge on structure. he got hit by the spark from overhead cabling and the voltage grabbed him like clutching hand etc. the fat content in his legs caught fire internally and both legs had to be later amputated. he was damn lucky that is all he lost
 
some years ago lanc a vandal was painting overhead bridge on structure. he got hit by the spark from overhead cabling and the voltage grabbed him like clutching hand etc. the fat content in his legs caught fire internally and both legs had to be later amputated. he was damn lucky that is all he lost

That's the best sentence I've ever heard of for a tagger. Too F'ing bad.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back