Any pilots here???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I earned my Private Pilot (Land) license in the mid to late 90's flying Piper Cherokee's (I have no idea how two grown men can fit in a Cessna 150) and subsequently got checked out on the Warrior, Archer as well as the Cessna 172. Having trained on then makes me bias towards Piper. I just didn't like the slow roll rate of the Cessna with accompanying blind spot going into a turn, the cheesy push-pull knob as throttle and the fact that when you got below a certain RPM you had to put on the carb heat regardless of temp. Sadly I haven't flown at all since 1998. After I brought up all the friends who would go with me and went to all the places my wallet could afford I guess I kind of lost interest somewhat. I know, horror of all horrors right?

Any how, I did my flight training out of Republic Airport here on Long Island. (Yes, that Republic – think P-47 etc.) My first solo flight was the closest I believe I will come to a totally Zen experience. I am at a loss to describe the feeling of calm and confidence that came over me at that moment, even as the tower shuttled me from runway to runway, keeping me clear of traffic. Absolutely amazing and sadly never repeated. At the end of training I wanted to be one of the last to take the face-to-face written exam as the FAA was phasing that out at the time, but just couldn't get my ducks in a row in time and had to take the computer one. Flew to Danbury, Connecticut and took my flight test with an old B-17 pilot. After what seemed like ten minutes of me at the controls he takes over. At this point I figured I had committed some major transgression and had failed. Turns out he just wanted to show-off, capping off his performance by landing using just the rudder and throttle. A real airman. So we land and I'm feeling all rejected until he stops himself halfway out the aircraft, turns and congratulates me for passing! Wtf? Anyway the last bit of drama comes when I reach for my wallet to pay him and find it's missing! Turns out I left it in the pilots lounge and some Good Samaritan turned it in for me. Whew. Ultimately getting my ticket was a bit anticlimactic, my life didn't change, no one was home when I called to tell them, and I just ended up going to diner with my parents to the Olive Garden. Oh well, life is still good.

I got my PPL in Chino where I saw warbirds like Hellcat, Corsair and Mustangs flew almost daily, in 1982. I still see these planes are another types of just normal and well built airplanes not too special ones. DC-3 was very powerful in climbing.

I was chased by a couple of C-141s in formation over Redlands airport in California, when I was doing a simulated emergency descent procedure with the examiner, for a PPL checkride.

Gliders; I remember flying in an ex-ATC T-21 glider (still with roundels) in Aston Down in 2000, was cable launched from the same runway where Pierre Crostermann made his first ride in the Typhoon back in 1945.

Very cool.

Munich is a beautiful city. It is my favorite city, if I had to live in a large city it would be Munich.

I've got three for different reasons but agree with you - Munich, Buenos Aires and Madrid.

Just below - Prague, Venice and San Francisco - (if I had a personal selection on who lived there - most would be gone and replaced by Tyler or College Station, TX citizens)

when i get to highschool i'll get into one of those pilot training programs but untill then...... computer generated stuff

I've got three for different reasons but agree with you - Munich, Buenos Aires and Madrid.

Just below - Prague, Venice and San Francisco - (if I had a personal selection on who lived there - most would be gone and replaced by Tyler or College Station, TX citizens)

Madrid, Prague, Venice and San Francisco are beautiful cities. I just do not like Venice in the dead of summer, because it can become rather smelly with the canals and all. I would still love to go back though.

This is not a competition. As long as aviation is your passion, we are all equals.

Ok, I'll buy that. I still can't help being impressed by the depth of experience though.

I'll fold my measuring stick in half and put it away in the six inch box then :lol: :lol:

best

Darryl

Oh, fly boy,

Hold that dream mate. There is nothing comes close to flying. I think most guys here will agree with both these old addages

"You can take my life, just don't take my licence".

and

The two worst things that can happen to a pilot are a) one day he gets in his aircraft knowing it will be his last flight and; b) one day he gets in his aircraft NOT knowing it will be his last flight..........sadly one WILL happen to all of us.

Ok, I've have flown in a Piper Aztec, two Cessna 182's (both in which I got to "fly it" for a bit, keeping it on the compass heading and a few small turns), and many missions inside a CH-47 Chinook while in Germany. And a couple of UH-1 Huey rides too, compliments of Uncle Sam. So now I have the smallest "resume". I am just a aviation buff at this point. Its great for me to hear from those of you that are actual pilots!

Very cool.

Munich is a beautiful city. It is my favorite city, if I had to live in a large city it would be Munich.

I went to Munich about 10 years ago. I would love to go back now though. I was too young to really appreciate many aspects of it then.

I am dying to take the V-22 to NYC!

I went to Munich about 10 years ago. I would love to go back now though. I was too young to really appreciate many aspects of it then.

Check out my thread from the last time I went to Munich. I posted a lot of pics in it. I will be going back in the very near future. We want to check out the King Tut exhibit there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back