Any pilots here???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, well all kind of Mirage 2000, Mirage F1 and Alphajet for my job

The week-end the range starts from the Bleriot XI to the skyraider or the mustang (well, when they are able to fly and when I have the time to and the money to fill the tank). I have the chance to be a member of a flying museum.

Mathieu

Is the osprey a fixed wing rating or rotor wing rating? I guess that it is very reliable now.

I believe the FAA has a powered lift rating for the V-22, which I do not have yet. I am not a guru on FAA ratings. In reality, it's a fixed wing aircraft that has VTOL capabilities. It is a reliable machine - it has come a long way.

How do you like flying it?
I'm having the time of my life!!! It's an amazing machine!

I believe the FAA has a powered lift rating for the V-22, which I do not have yet. I am not a guru on FAA ratings. In reality, it's a fixed wing aircraft that has VTOL capabilities.

When Boeing/ Bell was trying to break into the civilian market with the smaller version (its name escapes me at this time) the rating was going to be "Tilt Rotor." From what I understand the prospect of the civilian version flying was giving FAA bureaucrats fits!

I don't have a license or a plane, the only real plane I ever flew was a friend's C182 Skyhawk. it was just last September. it was the first time I've ever flown a real plane. I practiced on Simulators a lot, but I am looking forward to getting my private license.

Around ten hours solo in an Atlas Skyrocket back in the 60s-70s. A lot of riding in private planes and got a ride in an L39 and flew a few aileron rolls in it.

When Boeing/ Bell was trying to break into the civilian market with the smaller version (its name escapes me at this time) the rating was going to be "Tilt Rotor." From what I understand the prospect of the civilian version flying was giving FAA bureaucrats fits!

Our friends, Art Nalls, is the only civilian to hold a VTOL rating. He's also the only civilian to own a Sea Harrier.

I don't have a pilot's license myself, but I come from a long line of pilots, both sides of the family; my dad taught himself to fly at 15, and I ended up being his co-pilot when I was old enough to look over the cowling (not easy to do!). I've been the "autopilot" on the Cessna 170, 172, 182RG, 337, North American AT-6, and WACO UPF-7. My oldest brother has an A&P licence, and currently works for a gas turbine reman company in Ft. Worth, TX; he owns a beautiful low-time Cessna 195 (I'm not used to tail-draggers!). On my wife's side of the family, her father is an ex-airline pilot, with time in DC-8 Super 80's, B-727's, 737's, 757's, 767's and, finally, 747-400's, flying international routes (primarily China Japan).

We flew out of Llano airport in Texas. I can't remember the name of the pilot owner of the L39 but I think he kept it at Lancaster near Dallas. It was about a 40 minute ride and he flew a bunch of aerobatics pulling as much as 6gs, he said. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was close to the most fun I ever had with my clothes on.

We flew out of Llano airport in Texas. I can't remember the name of the pilot owner of the L39 but I think he kept it at Lancaster near Dallas. It was about a 40 minute ride and he flew a bunch of aerobatics pulling as much as 6gs, he said. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was close to the most fun I ever had with my clothes on.
Very cool...

I got to fly in one recently.

I've done a lot of work on them but hardly get to fly. This was in California just before Christmas.

Attachments

• Joe L-39.JPG
    Joe L-39.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 91
I USED to fly airplanes and gliders, 54 types in all. But now I even forgot how to operate the controls correctly. This is one of recent ones and I am flying. On the lower is DC-3, my only multi-engine type, in 1982.

Attachments

• nimbus4dm.jpg
    nimbus4dm.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 2-p38s01.jpg
    2-p38s01.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 33
Hi All,

No chance of competing with most of you guys.
Low but exciting hours:

C152,
C172.
Tecnam (awful)
Fuji (g*d awful)
Sportstar
DH82a
Bonanza
Super Decathlon
Duchess
Extra 300L
Nanchang

The Duchess is the only Multi Engined time (couple of hour's training just for fun)
The Tecnam and Fuji I only wasted a couple of hours on (aeros in the Fuji are slightly less exciting than french kissing your grandad:rolleyes: .... ) The Tigermoth I did 7 hours on, REAL flying 8) .

30 hours of aeros on C152's (about 29.5 more than is healthy in that aircraft)

The Deccy is my standard aeros mount now (hired, not owned) 2 hours just this last weekend.

The Extra was two half hour full on aerobatics trips with 90% stick time. I got to fly everything from inverted spins, Lomcevaks, also got to play "one beer for each degree by which you miss upright in a quick 360 deg roll". 3 rolls cost me 21 beers, at better than 360 deg per second, I wasn't too unhappy with that, outside loops, downward rolls out of stall turns, . etc, etc , etc....IMHO the MOST fun you can have, clothes on OR off!! (hope the wife isn't reading over my shoulder!)

Only one really close call ever....4 turns and a bang away in a spin from 7000ft once. I don't spin 152's with a bent prop any more...

Darryl

Crickey ! I'm wondering if I dare raise my head over the parapet on this one, looking at the experience you guys have been listing :notworthy:

My claim to fame was when I went solo in a Kirby Cadet Mk3...look it up on the web, its a babe !. Did this when I was in the Air Training Corps (ATC) back on 10th Oct 1976 and I was 16 and a bit !.

Lovely glider....exceed 60 on the winch launch and the wings come off !. Did I care....not one bit !. I was in control of a military aircraft....Ok, it had the RAF Roundels on it so that makes it military as far as I'm concerned.... and I never ever had the top button on my ATC uniform done up after those three qualifying circuits.

Unfortunately, I never carried on and have only logged about 40 hours since then in the back seat of things like a Piper Archer when my mate has any spare room.

Nowadays, I go to the States for airshows and aim have enough of the folding stuff to get a ride in Warbird, so thats my flying to date.

Hey Eric, if you get a job as a staff photographer at Reno, I'll volunteer to be your apprentice, Obi Wan !

I forgot about my air combat USA flights in the Marchetti SF-260. Darryl mentioning the Extra made me remember. I flew the Marchetti against an Extra 300, and the Extra is a tough opponent! But I did get him 2x to his 3x on me. The Marchetti is a fun airplane to fly.

And Gary, when hell does freeze over, I'll see you in Reno! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back