Any pilots here???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How do ya like that L-29? One of my roommates has an L-39. Thinking about taking it to Reno this year.
In many respects the 29 is better, cheaper to buy and operate. It is definitely more maneuverable and the 39 is only about 30 knots faster. The 39 is also a lot more aircraft to maintain, but does have some neat bells and whistles, it also looks better, but in the end I'd take a -29.

I'm also an A&P and have done condition inspections on both.

I was a crew chief on a -29 at Reno last year. We took 2nd in the gold/silver.

What do ya fly???

When I could pass my physical I had time in a V-35 A-36 Bonanza's, Baron, AT-6, Cessna 140 and 150 plus a 51D-25.

I had joint ownership of the Beech's. Right seat in C-47, Beech 200 King and back seat in T-33.

I loved the V-35 and A-36 quite a bit. Honest performers.

We think we've got a few ideas to keep our -39 competitive. (If she actually races... uggg, the ECONOMY)

Are there a lot of pilots on these boards??

There are a few here. I have done some flying, but am not licensed. I have flown the T-6, T-28, T-34, Stearman, and the AN-2 Colt. I'm usually just the shooter, taking the shots and I get asked if I want to fly it for a bit after the shoot. I love the T-28 and if I had the time to get the license, and the money, I'd pick up a 28 in a heartbeat.

We think we've got a few ideas to keep our -39 competitive. (If she actually races... uggg, the ECONOMY)
Better look into the "RARA" rules for the jet class - they really tightened up what you could do to your jet after the 2007 crash. I was on that crew.

In Gliders I have flown a variety of types from K13, K21, Twin Astir and Capstan trainers, K6, Pirat, K23, Grob Astir, Mistral C, DG300, Mosquito, ASW19 single seaters. In addition a handful of flights in a variety of more exotic types.
I was never licenced to fly powered aircraft but have taken the controls a number of times in a Cessna Aerobat, Cessna 172, Piper Cherokee, De Havilland Chipmunk and Hawker Hunter T7/8

I should add that I am now grounded on Medical reasons

Currently Light Sport license only. I got high BP and not willing to risk screwing up my medical until I get it back down.

However, I have flown many single engine types, and a couple of multi. Last active flying was a DHC-2 Beaver on floats in the Queen Charlotte Islands. Have owned 3 Cubs, the odd Cessna, a Heath Parasol, a Fleet 80 Canuck (Canadians will know what that is) and a Wilga 80. About 1/2 my flying time has been on floats.

Have flown most Piper Singles, all the modern Cessna singles (except 190/195 Caravan). Also modern: Beech 35 (V-tail) Bonanaza, Mooney M-21, Aero Commander 100 Lark, Ercoupe.

Antiques/Classics/interesting airplanes I have flown: Gypsy Moth, Tiger Moth, Stearman, Piper J-2, Piper J-5, Stinson 108, Fairchild 24W, Aeronca 7AC, Citabria, Stinson L-5, some homebuilts.. even tried hang-gliding once.

Interesting airplanes I have had rides in: T6/Harvard, Thruxton Jackaroo, Ford Trimotor, Grumman Tracker, Grumman Goose, Grumman Mallard, Found FBA-2, Fairchild F-11 Husky, Aero Commander Pitts S-2, Breezy, Beech 18/C-45, DC-3, CJ-7, stuffed into the space behind the pilot in a Piper Pawnee crop duster.

Interesting airplanes I have sat in: Supermarine Spitfire (I think it was a Mk IX, but not positive, it was a long time ago) P-51D, Douglas Skyraider, Grumman Avenger, Aeronca C-3, CT-155 Hawk, Travelaire 4000, B-17, Cessna O-1 Cessna O-2 Bird Dog, PT-18, F-104, Nieuport 11 replica.

Currently airplane-less :cry: ... but planning to get something LSA.

Thanks for asking the question, it was fun to dig up some of those memories.

Cheers
Kerry

I hear Brad was a great guy. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks Cowboy - it really hit hard in my family, my father in law helped get him his check out and was kind of his "coach." After that I thought I'd never go back to Reno then I got the call to crew for Mike Mangold. We had a great time last September and with some luck will be back this September gunning for first.

Maybe, but I doubt it. :twisted:

Look at the race results - it was a 2 plane race. The closet -39 to us was "Pipsqueak" flown by Joe Ganao who owned the 1st place airplane. On certain laps the 2 Viper powered -29s had a 5 second 20 MPH advantage.

Viper 2008 Reno Photos

From what I hear, they think they can shoehorn a Viper motor in a -39. I'd like to see that.

Also our lead pilot is THE MAN. Scott 'Jethro' Kelly... retired F-14/F-18 combat pilot. Also flew F-16's as an adversary at Top Gun, I believe.

I'm still waiting to get on a crew as an official photographer... Any takers? ;)

Take a number... it's a looooong line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back