Anyone else looking forward to GB18 Heavy Hitters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glenn...I inadvertently deleted your email address when I cleaned out my mail box. If you need some detail shots, I'll be happy to send them to you. You would think I could find at least one photo of an aircraft from your squadron in 12 books, but, no. I've got some other books about squadron markings so I'll check those. About the only plus of insomnia is plenty of time for research.

Geo

I sent you a private message George

I've been scouring my books and the internet and there seem to be very fey photos of 490th B-24s although there are a lot of shots of B-17s after they converted over. I did find this color picture that will be helpful. It shows the aircraft letter code on the lower tail fin as yellow along with the serial number. The stars and bars on the fuselage appear to be the subdued type with light gray instead of white. The bomb bay doors are also interesting. They appear to be painted OD even though the underside of the fuselage is Neutral Gray. Lastly the rubber de-iceing boots have been removed leaving the bare aluminum underneath. This was a pretty common practice on combat aircraft.

Attachments

• Jinx 2.jpg
    Jinx 2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Jinx 1.jpg
    Jinx 1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 182
Hi Glenn. I have Squadron Publications' "Air Force Colors Vol 2". It confirms 490th BG had a white square with a T marking prior to Sept 13 1943. For 1944-45 there is an indication of a white fin with approximately the upper quarter in red. The 490th is said to have converted to B-17s in late summer of 1944. The aircraft letter would have been red in the white area.

Geo's caption shows "Booby Trap" was formerly of the 490th but with 827th BS of the 484th BG at the time of the picture. This reference shows the white tail with a red upper and a red "bow tie" symbol. More info here: 484th Bombardment Group (H)

Edit, another pic, found here: BOOBY TRAP (V1) (PIC 1)

BOOBYTRAP-V1-1.JPG

Last edited:
Oops! Sorry Glenn - my error - I meant to type 'yellow' for the individual letter 'H'.
The subdued 'Stars and Bars' were a relatively brief experiment, during 1943, to try to reduce them standing out so vividly in the air, although I'd need to check on the specific dates. However, as with many such things, the over-painting in light grey could still be seen some time after the order came down rescinding the over-painting.
Those bomb bay doors aren't Olive Drab - they're open. The sides would be OD, but the underside would be Neutral Gray. There was a white, sometimes yellow, sometimes bare metal strip along the edge of the doors, to indicate their position, as, being 'roller' shutter type, they could sometimes 'shunt' upwards.
There was a tendency for fumes from the overhead fuel tanks to build-up in the bomb bay, so in order to prevent a possible fire or explosion, the doors were either cranked partly open, or fully open, on the ground. This was normally done upon landing, and taxiing, and sometimes even on the return flight.
I'll have a look at all my info over the weekend, and e-mail what I find.

Glenn, I've sent you an e-mail with all the info to clarify colours and markings when the 490th were equipped with the B-24.
Also, yellow serial number decals, and yellow lettering, are available from Hannant's and The Aviation Hobby Shop, both in UK. You won't need grey Squadron codes - see e-mail.

Yes we did. In fact, old boy, I either posted that same pic in your '13' thread, or maybe sent it to you, some time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back