Anyone else looking forward to GB18 Heavy Hitters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those are 1/48 pal... True indeed, they make the Mk.1c in both 1/72 and 1/48. No reply from Sanger, about buying their Halifax Boulton Paul tail turret for my B-24D, so it looks like it's going to be the Polish Mk.1c Wellington that went MIA after a bomb raid, which means I need to buy one.. :lol:
It's a great kit, their Wellington....

'After the end of WWII, Colonel Johnson was KFA during an administrative mission to Japan on October 7, 1945 - Johnson, flying a B-25, and his crew had become lost in a typhoon. With the aircraft running out of fuel, Johnson ordered crew and passengers to bail out but had to give his parachute to a passenger. Johnson and co-pilot tried to nurse the aircraft safely back but were killed when the B-25 went down in the ocean.'

Well, if you can identify this B-25, the one that Gerald R. Johnson went down in, then maybe... :lol:

Hum, might be worth a look since I like the B-25. Then again a B-17 sounds good as well. Would love to see a B-25H from the Pacific built though :O)

Good deal Jan!

I'm thinking about doing this B-24H because it's the only specific B-24 My dad actually remembered and talked about (must have stuck in his memory for obvious reasons) One day sometime in the mid 80's we were talking about B-24s and this one came must have popped into his memory and he described it to me, specifically the name and what the artest had used to forms the "O"s. I remembered seeing it in one of my books, pulled it out and he confirmed it was the one he remembered. He said it was with his bomb group in England, the 490th. He was later transfered to the 484th BG in Italy and also saw it there although from what I've been able to find out I don't think it was with the 484th, but it was in Italy.

Attempting this model will depend on if I can somehow turn this photo into a 1/72nd decal. This is the only photo I've found, but I have the serial number, 42-94802, and I can use standard group marking for the 490th. Any suggestions for the decal of info about the Aircraft would be helpful.

Attachments

• BOOBYTRAP-V1-2.jpg
    BOOBYTRAP-V1-2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 257
Redhead or not................. I gotta find a solution for painting the bl00dy glass framing......
I tried using some liquid mask, but it just slides off the bl00dy thing into a glob. Bl00dy stuff!

You may be right Paul. It looks like the lighter tone in the hair matches the tone of the letters so that might be yellow with the darker color red or red-brown. I'm thinking the background is probably black. At first I was thinking I'd print it on white decal paper and carefully cut it out, but then I noticed that it seems that where her body is beneath the "OO" was left the OD color of the plane. That would be difficult to cut out if I use white film, but I don't think I'd get the lighter colors with clear. It's a good thing it's large, the decal will be the size of a quarter.
And how do I colorize this picture once I've decided on colors?

Last edited:
Booby = a type of Gull. In the days of sail, on long voyages where fresh food was in short supply, sailors would set a trap to catch sea birds. A morsel of food would be placed on deck, in the centre of a rope noose. When a bird landed, the noose was rapidly drawn tight around it's legs, trapping the bird, or Booby, hence, booby trap.
Glenn, save the image, import it into Photoshop or Corel Photopaint. Erase the unwanted areas, the use the painting tools to add colour where required.
Save the finished image in 'My Pictures'.
Open a 'Word' document and 'Insert' the image.
Put cursor at bottom right of image, and a box will appear around it.
Put cursor on top right hand corner of box, and drag diagonally down to reduce the image to the required size.
Once happy, step and repeat to make multiple copies the same size, as spares, by using 'highlight', Control+C, and Control + V.
Check image(s) by printing onto ordinary printer paper, when happy, print decals.
If unhappy, wait until you cheer up, then print decals !!!

I've been working on Miss Booby Trap as my dad called her. It's still a work in progress but I think I'm on the right track. I made her a red head just for you Paul.

Attachments

• BOOBYTRAP-V1-2.jpg
    BOOBYTRAP-V1-2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back