Anyone served in the Philippines? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pong

Staff Sergeant
Sep 2, 2007
Manila, Philippines
There are a lot of former (And current) military personnel here on the forums and I'm interested to see how many have visited my country (The Philippines) during their service.

I never served in the Philippines Pong, but l have visited many times. My wife is Filipino, and we will be returning to her home land to live next year. we own property on Cebu island, and a family business in Ormoc.

Spent 24 hours in Manila, we stopped to refuel on the way to Vietnam. I saw the most amazing bar show that i've ever see in my entire life. the things that woman could do......

I was on the Yorktown in the early 60's. Was TAD for two weeks at the Naval Station waiting for her to return from Hong Kong. I went into Olongopo once. Never went off base, or ship in P.I. again. Years later I worked in the States with a Phillipino who sent his father a banner for his running for mayor there, when he got the package it was full of rocks and dirt. Sorry, but that's what I saw.

Spent 24 hours in Manila, we stopped to refuel on the way to Vietnam. I saw the most amazing bar show that i've ever see in my entire life. the things that woman could do......

I expect we had a lot of that since the U.S Military was still stationed here, and possibly to entertain guys on leave, but since all the bases were turned over to us in '91, shows like that dwindled.

Thanks for all the comments!

-Arlo

Been to Clark AB a few times while a crew chief on KC-135As assigned to the Pacific Tanker Task Force on Guam. Angeles City was a wild place. Oh, that was late '77 if I remember correctly.

Ahoy
I lived there in 1952 until 1957 My Late father was a aviation machinist mate worked on P-5M Marlins at Sangley Point. When we got sent state side I enlisted in the Navy in 1958. subic Bay was my first home port we were there until 1969 on the U.S.S. OXFORD AGTR-1 got decommisioned at yukuska Japan. LOLlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the life and times we had at Alongapo across Sh--------------------T river was a adventure to behold.

Boats

I was never stationed there but my ship(s) pulled liberty in Manila and Subic. I do remember the EM club in Subic, The Sampaguita. Which, BTW, is the
official flower of the Philippines.

Charles

Did an extended port call in Subic Bay while our aircraft were beached at Cubi Point NAS. Kitty Hawk was being worked on: Winter-Spring 1973. Visited Baguio and Manilla. Went into the Indian Ocean and did a port call at Mombasa. Came out of the IO and transfered by helo-hoist to a USS Bronstein DE-1037 where my buddy and I stood bridge watches, watch-on-watch and hot-bunking (Grunge heaven) on our return to Subic to see our wives. Went back with West Coast VP in 1982-83 and EVERYTHING seemed changed. No longer the Vietnam War excitement but Cubi become kind of an ops backwater. Visited Corregidor and did RONs at Pattaya Beach, Thailand and Osan, Korea. all maritime patrol work essentially no ASW.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back