Armoured Messerschmitt Bf110G-4 - Schnaufer??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

weinace

Airman 1st Class
Jan 4, 2009
Yorkshire UK
I am waiting for the Eduard kit to arrive and have seen reviews with images of an armoured fuselage.

I would like to build Schaufer's aircraft - I have Revell's kit with every conceivable resin correction possible - but will now wait for the Eduard kit!!!!

My question is can anyone tell me id Scnaufer's aircrfatwas armoured?

Thanks and regards,

weinace:p

I would assume his Bf 110 had the usual armour protection provided, windscreen etc...

From the 'test shots' it appears the armour is applique rather like the Focke-Wulf Fw190A's R7 specification
giving an 'armoured tub' appearance.
Regards,

Interesting. I shall have to look through a few books this weekend for pictures that might solve this. I would have thought what with the radar and exhaust shrouds the weight penalty from additional armour would degrade the performance still further.

Perhaps it's the applique armour around the forward, upper section of the pilot's cockpit? If so, I've got pics of this type somewhere, and the scale templates for 1/48th scale from the 'Pro Modeller' '110G I did for the Defence of the Reich GB.

Perhaps it's the applique armour around the forward, upper section of the pilot's cockpit? If so, I've got pics of this type somewhere, and the scale templates for 1/48th scale from the 'Pro Modeller' '110G I did for the Defence of the Reich GB.

Thank you very much for your reply. What you have described sounds very much like the fuselage I saw in the kit review - the qiestion is did Schnaufer fly such an aircraft!!!!!

Regards,

Nope, I haven't found anything for his kite yet either, but I'll keep looking. I have a feeling there might be a pic somewhere, where the applique armour is only just visible in the highlight area of the print. Leave it with me....

No luck! I've found some pics of at least one of Schnauffer's '110's, and of the man himself, but none with the applique armour. There is a pic of him in the cockpit of one aircarft, showing the externally armoured windscreen, but there isn't any other external armour. In fact, in all the references I have for, or including the '110, 8 or more books, I've only seen two pics showing the applique armour.

guys

really do not think he or any NJG pilot had an armored cockpit. it should not be any different than the G-2s during 43-44

E ~

5-Pilots-NJG1.2-Heinz-Wolfgang-Schnaufer-June-1942-01.jpg

Only cockpit picture I found was this one where he is getting out of the cockpit after a test flight. Hope it helps a little.

Last edited:
Sorry for delay in replying to your responses to my 'search'.

'The Wife' dragged me off on holiday to deepest Welsh Valleys with her 10 dogs but NO internet!!!!!

Erich will be correct and I look forward to building the Eduard kit and BIGGEST THaNKS for the excellent photograph of 'The Man' in his cockpit.

Regards and thanks again

Weinace:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back