armstrong whitworth whitley by frog 1/72nd

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bob2332.jpg

Bob, I think you meant the Coastal Command but not the FAA.

Hi
FAA did actually use some whitleys.
cheers
Jerry

Armstrong Whitworth Whitley V aircraft profile. Aircraft Database of the Fleet Air Arm Archive 1939-1945

whitley saw service with the Fleet Air Arm from 17 August 1942 when 16 aircraft were transferred from the RAF (although Z9142 was delivered on 28 July 1942 to the FAA at Gosport) and served with the RN until 1945.
The first unit to receive the Whitley was 734 Engine Handling squadron at Worthy Down on 12 May 1944, the remainder were also delivered to this squadron over the suceeding months. The Whitley GR VIIa were specially fitted with fuel flow meters and other instrruments, and used as flying classtrooms in which pilots could be instructed in Merlin engine handling techniques. The type was used until the squadron disbanded in February 1946.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW ! I have the vary same kit buried way at the back of my British section. Must have built it at least 35 years ago. I do remember the box art depicted the Coastal Command version and also that I had a hell of a time with the landing gear and did away with it and built it with the gear up. I've thought about doing a resto on some of my old models. That's looking good, I like the Coastal Command version better...don't remember why I did mine as the bomber. So long ago !

I find i get more fun rebuilding an old kit than building a new one,i have approx 50-60 left to do,i think the coastal command aircraft colours look more interesting as well and plan to add a few other types later on to make up a small collection of types used,i'd love to see others attempts at these aircraft ,why not have a go yourself

Hi Evan ,yes i've 2 Canberra's on the go at the moment early and late versions plus i've gone back to my small Gloster Gamecock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back