Army single mother who refused deployment is discharged. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good. No offense you should have planned out what you were going to do with you child AHEAD of time. Not wait and refuse deployment :rolleyes:

Edit: Fine a backup plan! :lol:

Last edited:
But she had a plan. Her mother backed out just before deployment. She had No choice, but maybe abandon her son. And That is not a choice! The best for her and her son is to leave the Army and that has been made.

Its ohne of the un-mentionable problems that the equal op0prtunity zealots dont want to tackle. How do you deploy young females into combat, that have young families, especially if they are married to serving personnel as well.

During the war there was a situation where 5 brothers (the Sulivans) were serving on a cruiser. The cruiser was sunk, and all five brothers were lost, at the same time. The USN at that time resolved that never again could two brothers (or siblings) serve on the same ship at the same time.

I dont know how this problem gets solved, but I do think that a child that loses its mother is worse off than one who loses its father, and a child that loses its mother and father is in even worse position

Hm. Kinda sounds that way, but without interviewing the two in person, there's no way of knowing if the original interviewer got it straight himself. A crappy situation all around, though.

Its ohne of the un-mentionable problems that the equal op0prtunity zealots dont want to tackle. How do you deploy young females into combat, that have young families, especially if they are married to serving personnel as well.

Not to get off topic but females (other than pilots I believe) can only serve in combat support duty. Doesn't mean that they don't get shot at, but the combat MOSs (Infantry, Armor, Artillery) are still male only.

But I too believe that this soldier, and probably her mother, had this planned to get her out of deployment and ultimately out of the army.

TO

Not to get off topic but females (other than pilots I believe) can only serve in combat support duty. Doesn't mean that they don't get shot at, but the combat MOSs (Infantry, Armor, Artillery) are still male only.

But I too believe that this soldier, and probably her mother, had this planned to get her out of deployment and ultimately out of the army.

TO

I agree with TO, Adler, and others. She had this planned. I'm glad she is reduced to the rank of private and is losing all benefits of an honorable discharge. Tough sh!t. You don't want to go to war...THEN DONT JOIN THE MILITARY YOU STUPID A$$

Adler, it was administrative discharge.

Will she be able to apply for an upgrade to the discharge at a later date?
I thought I read after so many years that this was an option for all discharged personnel.

Wheels

I believe you can do that for an "Other than honorable discharge", but I am not sure about this one. I do believe however that since the "OTHD" is also an administrative discharge, that she can apply to have it upgraded.

I believe you can do that for an "Other than honorable discharge", but I am not sure about this one. I do believe however that since the "OTHD" is also an administrative discharge, that she can apply to have it upgraded.

This is correct. However, I don't think anyone would grant her upgrade.

Well, she Did learn how to Cook! LOL If you can call what they do in the military cooking! I was on the Yorktown in the '60's and I wouldn't call that Cooking! cheers mate, Bill

Will she be able to apply for an upgrade to the discharge at a later date?
I thought I read after so many years that this was an option for all discharged personnel.

Wheels

As Chris said, she can but very hard to do.

My brother got a less than honorable discharge turned to a honorable discharge, but it took a congressman to do it. It did help that he earned a Silver Star while in Vietnam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back