Australian 'Comfort Woman' Survivor to Testify Before Congress on February 15 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The bottom line Islander is if any of those 20,000 women came forward and could identify their assailants, the US government would prosecute and the US media would show the world what was done and how justice was going to be served, can you say the same of the Japanese government if some 85 year old war criminal was identified by his victims????? By you showing this is typical of trying to deflect acceptance and responsibility of the actions of Japan - even if every story of those 20,000 victims of US soldiers were true, it's a "day in Disneyland" compared to what the Japanese accomplished during its pre-WW2 and WW2 "reign of terror."

I believe that suffering is suffering and humiliation is humiliation. If comfort women are going to be saved for their suffering, so should other women who were sexually abused by soldiers of any countries.

American soldiers, for instance, raped 20,000 Japanese women (only reported cases) during the period the U.S. was occupying Japan. South Korean soldiers raped countless women during Vietnam War. Those victims must be compensated only by filing their testimnies to the U.S. and South Korean government. No one can say to those victimized women that their cases are not bad enough, unlike comfort women's cases, and therefore they don't deserve state apology and compansation.

It is time for the U.S. Congress to issue a statement to the world that the U.S. is going to unconditionally accept all tesimonies from all women who claim that they were sexually victimized by American soldiers in the past or at present, and, without questions, they will receive official apology on behalf of all American poeple and compenstion, 50,000 dollars each.

Oh brother that is such BULLSHIT! Come on man. I can not believe you are trying to compare the two things.

Do you know what the difference is. The US Government never ever ever condoned the rape of civilians or anyone for that matter. If a US soldier is found to have raped someone they are tried in court and if found guilty they go to jail. It is still military law that if a US soldier commits rape they can be put to death.

Do you know how I know that. I was a US soldier, and damn proud of it!

The Japanese military as a whole knew of these practices and condoned them. The Japanese military of WW2 and Government of WW2 needs to answer for there crimes!

Come on Japan it is about time to get rid of the ghosts and own up to your criminal past.

And further differences is to Islander. The US and Korean Militaries and Governments would not condone rape or crimes against civilians by their Military or have taken an active part on behalf of their Militaries in committing crimes against women or children. The Japanese Government and Military did just that prior to World War 2 and and during World War 2 and if found guilty US Service Personal are charged under Military Law and then Civilian Laws of the US for committing crimes up and including rape and murder which carries capital punishment in the US including the death sentance if they are found guilty of committting crimes so servere whilst in the military service of their country. Can Japan claim she has processed any one on War Crimes or the Rape of Civilian Women in Occupied Countries that Japan and her Military occupied during WW2 and consquent trials took place. Do not even try to say about Tokyo War Crimes Trials because you and I both know Japan would have never proceeded to the Trials volunterrily in 1946 for War Crimes etc

I dont think he gets the point.

Nor do I Adler. I think Islander has an agenda all of his own about this debate on Comfort Women and subsquent War Crimes committed by Japan during WW2. I maybe wrong but something about his attempts to smear this debate on Comfort Women doe not sit well with me and him from Japan raises suspicions from me straight away. And according to the web site he has made no other submissions of any kind on the web site on any other post except about 6 posts on this debate. Seems to me a bit strange that being in an Aeroplane forum he would have made some type of submission about aircraft but he hasn't according to his profile information. I am not questioning about why he hasn't made submissions on other forum debates but what is his agenda. And he must have known straight away that others would jump him as soon as he began debating his agenda on this forum on Comfort Women especially when he is from Japan. Not trying to malign him personally but my suspicions are raised to his agenda on why ok Adler

It's simple fellas, he/she is trying to deny/downplay the fact the Japanese in WWII were guilty as hell of of their crimes. This sh*t doesn't sit well with me either because history is history and the whole world, barring Japan, recognise the brutality displayed by this "civilised" country during the war. I, like most here have no problems with the Japanese of today, but this constant smearing of facts and apparent lack of education in Japan regarding WWII really bugs me. No country is perfect, we all have skeletons in the closet, but there's no point is covering up the past, 60+ years is a long time, nows a good time to come clean a admit past mistakes.

Japan PM apology on sex slaves
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has apologised in parliament for
the country's use of women as sex slaves during World War II.
The apology comes after Mr Abe was criticised by Asian neighbours for
previous comments casting doubt on whether the women were coerced.

Mr Abe told parliament: "I apologise here and now as prime minister."

This appears to be part of a concerted bid to reduce the fall-out of
earlier comments, a BBC correspondent says.

Mr Abe said, during a debate in parliament's upper house, that he
stood by an official 1993 statement in which Japan acknowledged the
imperial army set up and ran brothels for its troops during the war.

"As I frequently say, I feel sympathy for the people who underwent
hardships, and I apologise for the fact that they were placed in this
situation at the time," he said.

His statement has gone a little further than similar attempts to
clarify his position two weeks ago, but is unlikely to satisfy all
his critics abroad, the BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says.

The row over his comments have compounded the difficulties facing Mr
Abe. His six-month premiership has already been rocked by a series of
scandals and gaffes.

An opinion poll on Monday found public support for him - Japan's
youngest ever prime minister - had shrunk to just 35%.

US resolution

Mr Abe provoked an angry reaction earlier this month after
questioning whether there was any proof that the Japanese military
kidnapped women to work as sex slaves during the war.

Mr Abe's comments drew sharp criticism from China and South Korea in
particular, where many of the women came from.

Many historians believe Japan compelled up to 200,000 women - who
also came from the Philippines, Indonesia and Taiwan - to become sex
slaves during the war.

But some Japanese conservatives argue that the women were
professional prostitutes who had been paid for their services, and
any abuses were carried out by private contractors rather than the
military.

Mr Abe's comments about the use of coercion were made as the US
Congress began considering a non-binding resolution, which calls for
Tokyo to make an unequivocal apology for the so-called comfort women.

Officials in Japan reject the idea that the prime minister should be
told how to apologise by politicians from overseas, our correspondent
says.

They say the draft resolution does not recognise the efforts that
have been made to compensate the former comfort women.

Mr Abe's latest remarks in parliament have been made to clear up any
misunderstanding and not as a result of outside pressure, they
stress.

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Japan PM apology on sex slaves

What war? I don't remember were the Japanese involved?

My friend who lived in Tokyo ( over the last ten years) said the official ingorance/denial of what happened is so thick you can cut it with a knife.If all the people involved die( as they are doing) there will be no one left to know what if anything occured.The general populace is totally ingnorant of the fact except that there was a war.......

Talk about holocaust denial, this one is even worse.

Greg I know that and thank you for your comment. And Sys I saw the news report on Prime Minister Abe's back flip. 2 weeks ago Comfort Women didn't exsist now they do 2 weeks later in Japan Media and Diet. But still official line is it was done by the Contractors. Not taking responsibility for action by the then Japanese Govt or Military. Can well appreciate the anger that Asian countries neighbouring Japan feel at Japan's refusal to acknowledge War Crimes

Agree - but wait till August 6th and 8th - we'll hear that bell sound at Hiroshima and all those stories of people suffering after the atomic bombs were dropped. We're supposed to feel guilty about that! :birdman:

I do not feel guilty about it. I have sympathy for those killed but that is all. Same as I have sympathy for those victims of the Japanese

Why should we feel guilty? Do the Japanese feel guilty on Dec 7th when they started it all? Probably not. Why is it the bleeding hearts have all the sympathy for the Japanese killed in the atomic bombs, but never mention the hundreds of thousands of innocent people through out the Pacific and Asia who were butchered by the Japanese?

Why not Brock's Box Car whilst we are at it if its still around and do a historic flight over bloody Nagasaki and do a buzz level flight over the ****ing Japanese Diet and Emperor's Palace just to piss them right off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back