Average sorties/kill for German night fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tinstaafl

Recruit
Jun 2, 2024
I'm interested, how efficient the German night fighters were during the second half of WW2 in terms of combat sorties/kill, both claimed and estimated to actually happen. I've searched the internet pretty extensively, but I was not able to find any dependable data on it. I would also like to know, how those numbers compare to sorties/kill for the day fighters in the same period, for which I can find data about actual USAAF losses, but not for sorties flown by Luftwaffe. I'm interested mostly in raw numbers dealing with night fighters, but I'm also interested in comparing night and day fighter efficiency and in trying to find out, how big impact the successive improvement of radar and ECM technologies actually had on those numbers.

Last edited:
Although it doesn't seem like it should be so, finding detailed data about WWII is quite difficult.

You can easily find data for some particular action or battle, but overall data from the war, broken out by such things as day or night fighters, is very hard to find.

At least for me, that is.

Best of luck. If you find data, please share the source.

Some data can be found here:
1717359899438.png

Published figures for night fighter losses, claims and allied losses have been around for decades, for example Adders The German Night Fighter Force. Sorties are another matter. E.R. Hooton in Eagle in Flames has night fighter sorties for the year of 1944 taken from Luftwaffe activity Volume I (Imperial War Museum Air Historical Branch 6, Tin 192, frame 1052, reporting 20,284 sorties by Luftflotte Reich taking 664 losses, and 3,091 sorties by Luftflotte 3 taking 142 sorties, which would mean about a claim every 11 sorties based on Adders.

The Luftwaffe night fighter claim system became less rigid in the late 1943 period, the list of kill claims versus RAF losses in Adders gives the Bomber Command night losses versus Luftwaffe kill claims as year / RAF losses / RAF write offs / Luftwaffe kill claims / % of RAF total losses + write offs claimed by night fighters

1940 / 271 / 124 / 42 / 10.6%
1941 / 756 / 333 / 421 / 38.7%
1942 / 1390 / 89 / 687 / 46.5%
1943 / 2255 / 94 / 1816 / 77.3%
1944 / 2349 / 85 / 2235 / 91.8%
1945 / 507 / 61 / 529 / 93.1%

The effectiveness of the Flak force did not decline that much, and Bomber Command still had accidents resulting in write offs that had nothing to do with combat. The accident rate declined during the war but the number of sorties per month went up. Also Bomber Command did not go as deep into Germany, on average, after March 1944 and the loss of the early warning Atlantic Coast radars hurt interception chances.

Comparison between air forces is difficult. For example the RAF and USAAF had much better radars than the Luftwaffe but far fewer potential targets. The RAF got its first kill with airborne radar in July 1940, something the Luftwaffe didn't achieve until August 1941.

Sorry for being late getting back here, but I got crazy busy in RL.
Google: writer, Theo Boiten , nachjagd.
Untill now un surpassed.
Losses and victories

Yes , it can be done. :razz:
I've been able to preview 6 pages of Boiten's Nachtjagd Combat Archive - 1943 - Part 3, and it seems to contain exactly the info, that I'm looking for. Unfortunately there is no single copy of this book in any public library in Poland. I will have to check with Polish Aviation Museum in Cracow, if they have one by any chance.

If they don't, sadly it doesn't make much sense for me to buy it, as I travel a lot and can't keep a library. Unless I decide to be very generous one day, buy it and later donate to Museum's library. Or maybe one day it will come out in ebook format.

Anyway, thank a lot for pointing me to this incredible book.
Published figures for night fighter losses, claims and allied losses have been around for decades, for example Adders The German Night Fighter Force. Sorties are another matter. E.R. Hooton in Eagle in Flames has night fighter sorties for the year of 1944 taken from Luftwaffe activity Volume I (Imperial War Museum Air Historical Branch 6, Tin 192, frame 1052, reporting 20,284 sorties by Luftflotte Reich taking 664 losses, and 3,091 sorties by Luftflotte 3 taking 142 sorties, which would mean about a claim every 11 sorties based on Adders.

The Luftwaffe night fighter claim system became less rigid in the late 1943 period, the list of kill claims versus RAF losses in Adders gives the Bomber Command night losses versus Luftwaffe kill claims as year / RAF losses / RAF write offs / Luftwaffe kill claims / % of RAF total losses + write offs claimed by night fighters
(...)
1944 / 2349 / 85 / 2235 / 91.8%
(...)
The effectiveness of the Flak force did not decline that much, and Bomber Command still had accidents resulting in write offs that had nothing to do with combat. The accident rate declined during the war but the number of sorties per month went up. Also Bomber Command did not go as deep into Germany, on average, after March 1944 and the loss of the early warning Atlantic Coast radars hurt interception chances.
Thank you very much, those are generally the numbers, that I've been looking for. Claims seem seriously exaggerated for 1944 and 1945, should we assume something close to 60% of losses to be caused by the night fighters, putting the real kills at ~1.4k? Also would you know, if daylight sorties of night fighters are included in those totals?

A nice little book that lists German day and night fighter missions and kill/mission etc is Luftwaffe Fighter Aces: The Exploits and Tactics of Germany's Greatest Pilots - by Spick, Mike. Its a small novella size book with several reprints. The "best" aces were getting close to 1 kill mission, but the highest scorers were more often at 1:2 or 1:3 kill/mission.

A good book for what you want is German Night Fighter Force 1917-1945, by Gebhard Aders which also lists alot by year and month losses/kills etc It has lots of tables and data in back of book.

Took a while to find the Aders notes. The figures I posted are Reich/West at night.
Reich/West day claims 1 in 1941, 4 in 1942, 110 in 1943 and 100 in 1944
Night claims Mediterranean 5 in 1941, 51 in 1942, 45 in 1943 and 2 in 1944
Night claims East 38 in 1942, 425 in 1943, 545 in 1944 and 73 in 1945
Appendix 8 is monthly claims versus Bomber Command sorties, missing and write offs, from July 1940.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back