Avro Lancaster PA474 1975

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gary_Lewis

Recruit
May 10, 2022
As a keen aviation photographer for over 45 years starting in the 1970's I mainly used either Kodak or Agfa 35 mm colour slide film. A recent decision to digitally convert/transfer the best of many thousands taken has meant going through box after box of slides and its proved to be a real trip down memory lane.
The very first photos taken were of Lancaster PA474 , an aircraft I have never got tired of seeing / hearing and photographing.
These pictures were taken at the RAF Gaydon Air Display on the 17th August 1975 and as you can see my early photographic efforts weren't particularly anything to write home about, as at 16 years of age l still had a bit of height to gain, but they were the 'First of Many" so are rather special to me and they do flag up a number of interesting points including the lack of the mid upper turret. The pilot on the day I think was Ken Sneller with "Jacko" Jackson as Co-pilot... what a sight and sound it was being that close... I have been hooked ever since".
Shown too is a photo of the front cover for the book 'Veteran and Vintage Aircraft' by Leslie Hunt published in 1974. It shows PA over-flying a Shuttleworth display at Old Warden around 1973, any ideas at what height we are looking at there? Barnes Wallis' bouncing bomb was dropped at 60ft I believe. Has PA ever been photographed lower?.
20220507_115032 (1).jpg
20210704_161619 (1).jpg
20220507_184254 (1).jpg
20220507_183720 (1).jpg
20220508_101515 (2).jpg
20220507_101316 (1).jpg
20220507_190129.jpg
20220508_102651 (1).jpg
20220508_145836.jpg
20210704_125953 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Wicked....... keep them coming. I always like taking a peak in the background as well as many times the background aircraft are real gems too!

Thanks for these...

Jeff

Good to hear from you Jeff (Canada? you have the other airworthy Lancaster) and yes l would agree that often the background in photos can be just as interesting as the featured foreground , so will sort out a selection of slides for you with that in mind. In the meantime, you may have caught a 'glimpse' of a number of aircraft on the RAF Gaydon Lancaster slides...one being a RAF F4 Phantom, so thought you may like to the complete aircraft...note the British Leyland Mini car in the photo too...and the people watching the air show from the control tower.

20220507_104307 (1).jpg

Ah, 1970's and 1980's air shows, when the RAF provided numerous types for display - great days !
Interesting snippet re the Dams raid. When they filmed the 1955 movie "The Dam Busters", the Lancs flew at 60 feet, but on screen this looked much higher, so the scenes were re-shot - with the Lancs at 30 feet !!!

Good to hear from you Jeff (Canada? you have the other airworthy Lancaster) and yes l would agree that often the background in photos can be just as interesting as the featured foreground , so will sort out a selection of slides for you with that in mind. In the meantime, you may have caught a 'glimpse' of a number of aircraft on the RAF Gaydon Lancaster slides...one being a RAF F4 Phantom, so thought you may like to the complete aircraft...note the British Leyland Mini car in the photo too...and the people watching the air show from the control tower.

View attachment 668325
That " other Lanc" is based 40 minutes south of where I live.

Ah, 1970's and 1980's air shows, when the RAF provided numerous types for display - great days !
Interesting snippet re the Dams raid. When they filmed the 1955 movie "The Dam Busters", the Lancs flew at 60 feet, but on screen this looked much higher, so the scenes were re-shot - with the Lancs at 30 feet !!!
The 70s and 80's were golden years for airshows as far as I am concerned. Multiple types in colourful schemes... no where near the restrictions of today. Makes a guy tear up thinking back.

Cheers

Jeff

That " other Lanc" is based 40 minutes south of where I live.
Hi Jeff
Forgot to mention I have produced a number of aviation related videos over the years. I have attached a couple below that you may enjoy watching, The History of Elmdon Airport (with a Lancaster connection) and a video celebrating 100 Years of the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal.
More can be found on my channel 🙂

Will also sort out some more slides soon.

The 70s and 80's were golden years for airshows as far as I am concerned. Multiple types in colourful schemes... no where near the restrictions of today. Makes a guy tear up thinking back.

Cheers

Jeff

Yes, certainly nowhere near as many types at any of the displays these days.
Dug out a few more you both may like, 1979 RAF Greenham Common (if my memory serves me correctly)

20210722_195327.jpg
20210714_190717.jpg
20210722_130635.jpg
20210723_170800.jpg
20210723_183452.jpg

These pictures were taken at the RAF Gaydon Air Display on the 17th August 1975 and as you can see my early photographic efforts weren't particularly anything to write home about, as at 16 years of age l still had a bit of height to gain, but they were the 'First of Many" so are rather special to me and they do flag up a number of interesting points including the lack of the mid upper turret.

Interesting to see, Gary and I enjoyed your take on Elmdon Airport, too. You are probably aware that PA474's mid-upper turret came from a rather unlikely source, being gifted to the RAF by the Argentine Air Force, the turret coming from FAA (Fuerza Aerea Argentina) Lancaster B-038 and was fitted to PA474 in 1976. Keep up with posting your airshow pictures. :thumbright:

Interesting to see, Gary and I enjoyed your take on Elmdon Airport, too. You are probably aware that PA474's mid-upper turret came from a rather unlikely source, being gifted to the RAF by the Argentine Air Force, the turret coming from FAA (Fuerza Aerea Argentina) Lancaster B-038 and was fitted to PA474 in 1976. Keep up with posting your airshow pictures. :thumbright:
Sorry for the delay in replying, been working on a new video about the Hawker Typhoon and Hunter. Pleased you enjoyed my video on Elmdon Airport, will post a few more old airshow photos soon...in the mean time try this one, Greenham Commom International Air Tatoo, but what's the year? Going on some of the cars parked on the airfield that are now 'classics' l would say late 1970's early 1980's ?...to this day l still can't remember how l got up there to take the photo in the first place.
20210722_144705 (1).jpg

in the mean time try this one, Greenham Commom International Air Tatoo, but what's the year? Going on some of the cars parked on the airfield that are now 'classics' l would say late 1970's early 1980's ?...to this day l still can't remember how l got up there to take the photo in the first place.

Doing a wee bit of net browsing, it's almost certain that your pic was taken in 1979 at the C-130 25th Anniversary airshow. You can see Snoopy, the WC-130 with the red and white striped proboscis third in line in your picture, between the Danish AF C-130 this side of it and the USAF LC-130 behind it. Here's a photo thread on another forum with a line up of Hercs at this event and the photographer looks like he's posted them in order of taking them, the WC-130 between the two mentioned around three quarters of the way down...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back