Avro Lancaster v Avro Lincoln

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pattle

Senior Airman
May 11, 2013
How much better was the Avro Lincoln (originally known as Lancaster MKIV) compared to the Avro Lancaster MKIII? Obviously the Lincoln was an improvement on the Lancaster but was something better needed?

Plans for the Lancaster Mk.IV and V were made in mid 1942 and were initially proposed to have been put into service in a year to have an impact on the war without causing too much interruption of current Lanc production; both the new Lanc variants as proposed and the Windsor were considered to be the best for this requirement, as well as a call for a long range bomber for use against Japan. The urgency to get the Lincoln (there was some debate over the change of name - Avro suggested Lincoln, but Bomber Command wanted to retain Lancaster, but the Mk.IV and V became the Lincoln B Mk.I and II respectively in mid 1944) into service sooner was thwarted by events as the Air Staff believed that the Lanc as it was would suffice for the rest of the war and by the time the first one flew in 1944, production numbers of existing bombers were being wound down and eventually a large number of Lincoln orders were cancelled.

As an aside, when first proposed in June 1943 the Air Ministry initially preferred the Handley Page HP.65 'Super Halifax' over the Lanc IV, but thought its weight and drag figures were too optimistic. Eventually there was concern about the redesign of the Halifax's wing that would cause delays beyond mid 1945 and it was cancelled, despite having better performance and load carrying capability over what became the Lincoln.

The Lincoln was to be something of an interim as originally proposed until the big '100 ton Bomber', put forward as a draft requirement in mid 1942, entered production and service. The most visible hardware from this rather ambitious project, which would have rivalled the B-36 in size and capability was the Bristol Brabazon airliner, which was based on the same technical concept and layout.

When I look at the Lincoln I can't help but think that the day of these sort of aircraft was over before it arrived. It does seem however that had the Lincoln arrived before 1945 or if the war against Germany had lasted a while longer that the Lincoln may have offered a better chance of survival to Bomber Command Crews, but really compared to the B29 it looks like an old fashioned aircraft. As far as using the Lincoln to bomb Japan is concerned, I am very glad it was never tried, but the Lincoln would certainly have been better than a Lancaster with a huge petrol tank on it's back

Yep, I agree, Pattle; it was overtaken by events. The B-29 Washington in RAF service was only meant to be an interim between the Lincoln and until the Canberra entered service.

Unfortunately by the time the Lincoln shows up the state of the art is the B-29.

Shortround6 sums it up. Had the Lincoln gone into service in late 1943 or early 1944, it would have been compared with the Halifax, B-17, and B-24. It was an advance on those machines and the memories would have been good. Coming out post war, as it did, it gets compared to the B-29, and that comparison is NOT pretty.

Last edited:
Shortround6 sums it up. Had the Lincoln gone into service in late 1943 or early 1944, it would have been compared with the Halifax, B-17, and B-24. It was an advance on those machines and the memories would have been good. Coming out post war, as it did, it gets compared to the B-29, and that comparison is NOT pretty.
Yes the Lincoln belonged to the earlier generation of the aircraft you mentioned, I suppose the British did with the Lancaster what the Americans did with the B24 and got the Lincoln, whereas the B29 was perhaps a template more than a relic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back