Awww Dammit! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
So I leaned over my PC this morning to plug in a USB cable and something smelled like it was burning. It was...my PC! It's been giving me trouble for a few weeks and I thought I could limp it along for another month or so. Nope. I shut it doen and pulled the cover. It was like Spiccoli's van door opening in Fast times. A puff of smoke, and it didn't smell good at all.

One of my Intel chips bit the big one...bad! Here is the evidence. Thank god my drives weren't effected. So my new machine is downloading the data while I use my old trusty spare. It wasn't in the budget for a new computer this month. Well, it is now.

Attachments

• DSC_0433.jpg
    DSC_0433.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 168
Not all chipsets have a cooler.Some of them are working without, Charles.
My first proc.Athlon looked like this chip when had burned.

Condolence Evan.:(

The machine was about 3-4 years old, so it was probably about 6 months overdue for an upgrade. I typically go about 2-3 years between PC changes. Oh well. The only bummer is that this happened after Hanukkah, when I could have maybe gotten a few upgrades.

So far, so good. My F drive, with 125G of pictures lost a total of 5 pictures, which were edits of originals, so I didn;t lose any photos from that one. One more drive to go, the C drive, which worries me. I was about 2-3 months behind in backing up the pictures there. My fingers are crossed. I will be putting it in the new machine shortly....

The chip wasn't the main processor, so it didn't have a heat sink or anything. I had three fans in that chassis too!

I do blow the dust out every 3-6 months and check the fans. You just never know when a component is going to fail. This one went out with quite a bang. The replacement was a bit of a bite, but not terrible. Thankfully, they are more of a commodity these days.

Damn Eric that sucks. I am limping my computer along at the moment as well. Going to have to buy a new one next month.

That's one of the reasons I don't get laptops. I don't need one, the cost more than desktops and because they are smaller, are more heat sensitive and more fragile. This is the first desktop that I have ever had that happen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back