B-17, B-24, or Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

American pin up girls all the way!

I know why the Brits did not pain women on theres. They did not want to have a British woman on there with there screwed up teeth and all!

Just kidding my friends from England. That stereotype is not correct. I know this because I had a British girlfriend before.

Nose Art.

75 Sqn (Royal New Zealand Air Force) at Feltwell with Wellingtons, before upgrading to Stirlings, then Lancs.

Bones L7948 Also had the name Cuthbert.

Donald Duck Lost 04/08/03 R3176

Popeye R3169 lost 03/05/41

Wimpy L2820 lost 10/40

Old Bill transferred to 37 Sqn and sent to Egypt.

from www.feltwell.org

All dates are given as DD/MM/YY format.

See, Kiwis have a wierd sense of humour.

Attachments

• bones.jpg
    bones.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 84
  • donald_duck.jpg
    donald_duck.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 88
  • old_bill.jpg
    old_bill.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 94
  • popeye.jpg
    popeye.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 106
  • wimpy.jpg
    wimpy.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 99
Cheers.

I have been doing a large amount of research into 75 Sqn. As I have purchased a 1/48 Tamiya Lanc of Ebay (only one arm and 1/2 a leg too :D )

It will be built up as a diorama of a dispersal area at Mepal December 1944, more than likely as

AA-M
Serial NE 181
"The Captains Fancy"
101 missions
Scrapped 30 Sep 1947

One of only two 75 Sqn aircraft to make the magic 100 ops, and the only one to survive the war.

75 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force

Motto:
AKE AKE KIA KAHA
(For Ever and Ever Be Strong)
Service:

Formed in April 1940 form the New Zealand Wellington Flight and served in 3 Group until the end of the war.

Aircraft:

Wellingtons, Stirlings, Lancaster's

Squadron Identity Code Letter(s):

AA, JN

Stations:

Feltwell, Mildenhall, Newmarket and Mepal

Operational Performance:

Raids Flown

3 Group Wellingtons – 291 bombing, 24 mine laying, 4 leaflet, 1 photoreconnaissance.
3 Group Stirlings – 103 bombing, 107 mine laying
3 Group Lancaster's – 190 bombing, 18 mine laying, 1 leaflet

Totals: 584 bombing, 149 mine laying, 5 leaflet, 1 photo reconnaissance.

Sorties and Losses

3 Group Wellingtons – 2540 sorties, 74 aircraft lost (2.9 percent)
3 Group Stirlings – 1736 sorties, 72 aircraft lost (4.1 percent)
3 Group Lancaster's - 3741 sorties, 47 aircraft lost (1.3 percent)

Totals : 8017 sorties, 193 aircraft lost (2.4 percent)

An additional 8 Lancaster's were destroyed in crashes.

Points Of Interest:

The first and only New Zealand squadron in Bomber Command.
Victoria Cross: Sergeant J.A. Ward, Munster, 7/8 July 1941. Sgt. Ward was killed in action on a raid to Hamburg on
15/16 September 1941.
Carried out the fourth highest bombing raids of all heavy Bomber Command squadrons.
Suffered second highest casualties in Bomber Command.
Believed to have dropped the third greatest tonnage of bombs (21600 tons) in Bomber Command.
Dropped 2344 mines, most likely representing the second highest in Bomber Command.

The lanc had range, pay load over both b 17 and b24 . and pay load over the b 29
Yet i think if they flew the lanc ,in the day light the lanc , would have been shot down in far greater numbers because of the fact that it did not have enough guns .
The b 24 was built almost twice as much as the b 17 , it did have better speed range and pay load , yet it was shot down a lot more than the b 17 so the above fact about range speed payload means good on paper ,
The b 17 had half the sorties of the b 24 and twice the tons on target per ,mission so much for speed payload and range .
The b 17 also shot down more fighters than any other type bomber or fighter so in my thinking the b 17 was the better of the three:)

The Lancaster didn't have payload over the B-29. Where have you seen this? The B-29 could carry two Tallboys or two Grand Slams! The Lancaster couldn't.

The B-24 dropped more tonnage on Axis Europe than any other heavy bomber in the Allied or Soviet arsenal. I believe it dropped more tonnage in the PTO and CBI as well.

Evidence? The 'Upkeep' weighed a lot less than two Grand Slams. And two Grand Slams would have obliterated those dams.

lonestarman63 said:
The lanc had range, pay load over both b 17 and b24 . and pay load over the b 29
Yet i think if they flew the lanc ,in the day light the lanc , would have been shot down in far greater numbers because of the fact that it did not have enough guns .
The b 24 was built almost twice as much as the b 17 , it did have better speed range and pay load , yet it was shot down a lot more than the b 17 so the above fact about range speed payload means good on paper ,
The b 17 had half the sorties of the b 24 and twice the tons on target per ,mission so much for speed payload and range .
The b 17 also shot down more fighters than any other type bomber or fighter so in my thinking the b 17 was the better of the three:)

Um you need to do some research buddy, before you go post things like that. The B-29 could carry 2 Tallboys weighing in at 12000lb each. That makes 24,000lb bomb load. It could also carry 2 Grandslam bombs weighing in at 22,000lb each. That is 44,000lb of bomb load.

The Lancaster could carry at most 22,000lb of bombs.

In order for the Lancaster to carry the Grandslam it had to be modified at the bomb bay doors. The B-29 had to carry them under the wings. Thats still carrying them though.

The B-29s internal bomb load was about 20,000lb and the Lancaster typicall carried 14,000lb.

The B-24 dropped more tonnage on Axis Europe than any other heavy bomber in the Allied or Soviet arsenal.

The Lancaster actually dropped more tonnage in Europe than any other bomber, the B-17 was second, the B-24 third.

According to the USAAF statistical digest, US heavy bombers 1,096,794 short tons of bombs in all theatres against Germany (ie including North Africa). I believe the breakdown is 640,036 short tons to the B-17, 452,508 short tons to the B-24.

The Lancaster dropped 681,645 short tons.

it's my understanding that the B-29 was only ever planned to carry two grandslams but it was never actually tried?

and yes the lanc carried a greater tonnage than the B-17 -24, and she also carried more per sortie, all but one on these boards agrees the lanc is the best of the three and second best bomber of the war after the B-29, i can provide figures if needed but not for a few days, they are however already on the boards if you look hard enough.........................

the lancaster kicks *** said:
it's my understanding that the B-29 was only ever planned to carry two grandslams but it was never actually tried?

Who cares if it was never done. The B-52 never dropped a nuke on an enemy, but it was capable.

The point is that the B-29 could carry 2 Grandslams that equal 44,000lb combined. That is 22,000lb more than the Lancaster could carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back