B-17 landing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
check the height of the tail..

Sunny

Attachments

• B17Landing.avi
    4.3 MB · Views: 84
[Here I step up on my soapbox...again] These warbirds are priceless. It is already debatable as to whether they should be flown. But to do stunts wherein you are standing on the brakes for no other reason than entertain the pilots ego is asinine. Forget about ground loops, the risks of structural fatigue and of asymmetrical brake system/gear failure are such that those kinds of stunts are for fools, narcissists and solopsists.

[steps of his soapbox]

I agree Matt308- not too bright in an old aircraft, for which there isn't an abundance of parts. One B-17 has already been taken off flight status due to a broken spine. If I were head of that foundation, that pilot wouldn't fly the Fortress again.

cheese that took a while for the tail to go down at first i thought it was a touch and go but then i saw it slow down and wow

I'm not a pilot, but what are the chances of having a prop strike the ground while performing a landing like that? Seems to me the cost of new props, and possible engine damage would make you think twice before doing something like that?

What type of software do you need to play this video? I have Windows Media and Quicktime, but neither will play the video?

there was nothing wrong with that landing...have any of you ever landed a large multiengine tailwheel airplane?

jim

Nothing wrong with landing with the main gear first but then not dropping the tail for so long is just retarded and risks damaging the aircraft. Dropping the tail earlier preserves the aircraft and stops expensive repairs from being done to it because some numskull of pilot hit the props of the ground on landing. Remind me not to fly with you ever...

@Messy. Windows Media Player works fine.

It must be my computer, a message pops up from Windows MP saying windows does not support that type of file, and that either the file is damaged or corrupt. I'll mess with it a little more.

Go out to the Microsoft Updates Wesite and get the latest MS Media Player software, make sure you reboot the system afterwards and and perform the MS Update utility again to make sure there are no further critical updates for the latest player you just installed.

The tailwheel assembly is the achilles heal of the B-17. Wheel landings are preferred and then flying the tail to the ground. Tailwheel infrastructure parts are very very hard to come by and expensive to replace. The video shows a tail high landing..we call it "pinning" and is done with forward elevator...you will not get the props...nor do you need to ride the brakes. If you are using the brakes over 50mph indicated you don't have proper directional control or there is one heck of a crosswind...which is easily dealt with using aileron or the upwind engines. When you get a pilots license and a B-17 type rating let me know we will discuss it further.

Jim Harley

Bullshit. That pilot was hotdoggin' on a adequately long runway smartass. His stunt is common practice to impress neophytes with the perceived pilot's ego while flying a priceless piece of history. I've seen many of these same stunts where the braking moderation was misjudged and the tail dropped like the proverbial 5th story safe.

Your condescending, holier-than-thou attitude is not appreciated on this forum. Your first point was noted. Your last was insulting.

How many hours you have on a PB4Y, Mr. C? While not a tail dragger, I wonder if that might count in his collective insults to our forum members.

His stunt is common practice to impress neophytes with the perceived pilot's ego while flying a priceless piece of history. I've seen many of these same stunts where the braking moderation was misjudged and the tail dropped like the proverbial 5th story safe.

Not a stunt...for chrissakes he landed the airplane with a perfectly acceptable technique. Nothing was misjudged.

Your condescending, holier-than-thou attitude is not appreciated on this forum. Your first point was noted. Your last was insulting.

Far from condescending and holier than thou...I'm sick of armchair aviators with NO flight time and NO flying experience commenting on events or abilities for which they have no first hand experience. Insulting a pilots ability with nothing to back it up with but hot air is an insult to our community and goes way beyond a condescending statement. I have over 500 hours of B-17 time and have been flying it for close to 6 years. I can assure you that there are NO B-17 operators "hotdogging" or "showing off" for thier own personal satisfaction.

Jim Harley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back