B-17 Pathfinder Memorial, Brome, Suffolk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Last autumn I responded to a request from an American lady, for information on a B-17 Crash in Suffolk, England. When I replied, I had no idea of the journey I was embarking on !

The first coincidence was an aviation enthusiast, I had recently sold some books to, lived in the area. However, I was amazed when he said "I can see the crash site from my home office" !

While helping Wendy Rust in Florida, unravel the RCAF/RAF service of the co-pilot, the crash story slowly unfolded. This B-17 was the first American operational aircraft to be fitted with airborne radar. There are detailed threads in this forum relating to the history of this aircraft and subsequent crash. The real break came when I found the crash story had formed the first chapter of Ian MacLachlan's "Bomber Stories" and aptly called "Pathfinder".

As the story drew me in, I heard of plans for a memorial to this crash and the 13 crewmen and 4 workmen and their horse. Me and Wendy had touched on the idea but I didn't want to step in anyone's toes ! After continued efforts and help from Ian MacLachlan himself, a small group naturally formed with equal, enthusiasm and knowledge to start the journey to the 80th anniversary of the crash and the unveiling of an appropriate and hopefully, stand out memorial.

Lots of research and behind the scenes organising has led to a site meeting on Thursday, just gone. At the Oaksmere Country House Hotel, and they have wholeheartedly got onboard with our vision for the memorial and the unveiling service. So Darren of Suffolk Ironworks, went away with a definitive position and dimensions: So we can now look forward to the next stage of the project.

We now have a clearer picture of the events that morning and details of the majority of the crewmen and are now pushing locally for details and relatives of the civilians, as we still are with the majority of the crew.

Since February we have had a "Go Fund Me" page set up and with limited promotion, it stands at just over £3000. But we need to continue the fundraising efforts for the next stage of building the foundations, and the information board and plinth,

We are lucky having the Oaksmere to provide the home for the memorial. They have the facilities to make a special day, all the better. We emphasise this is a public event and all are welcome.

Anyone wishing for any info etc, please contact me via the forum and or message on this posts.

There is so much more to this story, but time runs out ! For now but will update with the next stage info.

The Memorial team
Clive Stevens, Braiseworth, Suffolk, U.K.
Maggie Aggis, on the move ! Suffolk, U.K.
Wendy Rust, Miami, Florida, USA
Tarkey Barker, Ipswich, Suffolk, U.K.
Steve Andrews (FforFreddy) Hoveton, Norfolk U.K.

B-17 Crash Memorial Project - Suffolk, England, organized by Clive Stevens

Attachments

• 8F019B1A-FE27-48FD-94A8-559C94372667.jpeg
    8F019B1A-FE27-48FD-94A8-559C94372667.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 18
Last autumn I responded to a request from an American lady, for information on a B-17 Crash in Suffolk, England. When I replied, I had no idea of the journey I was embarking on !

The first coincidence was an aviation enthusiast, I had recently sold some books to, lived in the area. However, I was amazed when he said "I can see the crash site from my home office" !

While helping Wendy Rust in Florida, unravel the RCAF/RAF service of the co-pilot, the crash story slowly unfolded. This B-17 was the first American operational aircraft to be fitted with airborne radar. There are detailed threads in this forum relating to the history of this aircraft and subsequent crash. The real break came when I found the crash story had formed the first chapter of Ian MacLachlan's "Bomber Stories" and aptly called "Pathfinder".

As the story drew me in, I heard of plans for a memorial to this crash and the 13 crewmen and 4 workmen and their horse. Me and Wendy had touched on the idea but I didn't want to step in anyone's toes ! After continued efforts and help from Ian MacLachlan himself, a small group naturally formed with equal, enthusiasm and knowledge to start the journey to the 80th anniversary of the crash and the unveiling of an appropriate and hopefully, stand out memorial.

Lots of research and behind the scenes organising has led to a site meeting on Thursday, just gone. At the Oaksmere Country House Hotel, and they have wholeheartedly got onboard with our vision for the memorial and the unveiling service. So Darren of Suffolk Ironworks, went away with a definitive position and dimensions: So we can now look forward to the next stage of the project.

We now have a clearer picture of the events that morning and details of the majority of the crewmen and are now pushing locally for details and relatives of the civilians, as we still are with the majority of the crew.

Since February we have had a "Go Fund Me" page set up and with limited promotion, it stands at just over £3000. But we need to continue the fundraising efforts for the next stage of building the foundations, and the information board and plinth,

We are lucky having the Oaksmere to provide the home for the memorial. They have the facilities to make a special day, all the better. We emphasise this is a public event and all are welcome.

Anyone wishing for any info etc, please contact me via the forum and or message on this posts.

There is so much more to this story, but time runs out ! For now but will update with the next stage info.

The Memorial team
Clive Stevens, Braiseworth, Suffolk, U.K.
Maggie Aggis, on the move ! Suffolk, U.K.
Wendy Rust, Miami, Florida, USA
Tarkey Barker, Ipswich, Suffolk, U.K.
Steve Andrews (FforFreddy) Hoveton, Norfolk U.K.

B-17 Crash Memorial Project - Suffolk, England, organized by Clive Stevens
Was this RAF 100 group with counter measures?
Remember reading about post D Day raids and the huge amount of ECM the RAF used in their raids.

Hi There

No and I just realised I didn't actual put the group or air force, this B-17 and crew were in. Apologies for that ! They were part of the 813th BS of the 482nd BG of the 8th AAF. This group was the only dedicated Pathfinder group on the "Mighty Eighth" and also, the only group to form outside the USA. But you mention of the RAF 100 Group (my local RAF group) is relevant. As this B-17 if it hadn't crashed, would have joined the other H2S fitted one going to the 214 Squadron. Firstly to RAF Sculthorpe in Norfolk, were American crews help to transfer the RAF crews over to this new type for them. Then they eventually ended up at RAF Oulton also in Norfolk.

482rd BG had a high proportion of Americans who had joined the RCAF/RAF in their crews. As they had experience with the H2S and the technics used.

We are slowly learning more and more about this crew, the pilot and bombardier had both flow in the well known 91st BG (The Ragged Irregulars) and like the co pilot had only joined the 482nd a few weeks before the crash. The co-pilot transferring from the RAF 97 PFF Sqd at Bourn, Cambridgeshire. One of the of the radar mechanics was the first American serviceman to learn about the airborne radar set up. He was training the other up on the temperamental systems !

Thanks for showing interest

Steve A

Hi There

No and I just realised I didn't actual put the group or air force, this B-17 and crew were in. Apologies for that ! They were part of the 813th BS of the 482nd BG of the 8th AAF. This group was the only dedicated Pathfinder group on the "Mighty Eighth" and also, the only group to form outside the USA. But you mention of the RAF 100 Group (my local RAF group) is relevant. As this B-17 if it hadn't crashed, would have joined the other H2S fitted one going to the 214 Squadron. Firstly to RAF Sculthorpe in Norfolk, were American crews help to transfer the RAF crews over to this new type for them. Then they eventually ended up at RAF Oulton also in Norfolk.

482rd BG had a high proportion of Americans who had joined the RCAF/RAF in their crews. As they had experience with the H2S and the technics used.

We are slowly learning more and more about this crew, the pilot and bombardier had both flow in the well known 91st BG (The Ragged Irregulars) and like the co pilot had only joined the 482nd a few weeks before the crash. The co-pilot transferring from the RAF 97 PFF Sqd at Bourn, Cambridgeshire. One of the of the radar mechanics was the first American serviceman to learn about the airborne radar set up. He was training the other up on the temperamental systems !

Thanks for showing interest

Steve A
I have 2401 pages of documents on the 482nd and its squadrons from Maxwell Alabama (all on a big 711 MB PDF file), including its unit history. I've only gone through a little bit about its pathfinder ops in 1943. Would you be interested in a copy of it if I temporarily host it? It is semi-organized but there is no table of contents.

1682969215616.png

The relevant section from the 813ths squadron recondrd on page 56:

1682969407343.png

Hi Wokelly

Thank for those and yes, that would be great to see. A very generous offer, I have started a conversation via the group to sort it out. Much appreciated.

Steve A

I have 2401 pages of documents on the 482nd and its squadrons from Maxwell Alabama (all on a big 711 MB PDF file), including its unit history. I've only gone through a little bit about its pathfinder ops in 1943. Would you be interested in a copy of it if I temporarily host it? It is semi-organized but there is no table of contents.

View attachment 718702

The relevant section from the 813ths squadron recondrd on page 56:

View attachment 718703

Users who are viewing this thread

Back