B-24 Liberator Diorama - 1/48th Scale. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps.

It could be better, but I'm reasonably pleased with it, and it should look acceptable enough in the planned overall scene.
Given I get the measurements and cutting right, I hope to make and fit the rear wall sections, and the doors, over the weekend, although the doors will be fitted in place at a later stage.

I've also sourced some suitable white letter decals to make up the "No Smoking" and "Gasoline" warnings. Found them on a model railway web site and, although not quite the right style, they should look Ok.

Back soon ................

Thanks Glenn.

The Fuel Tanker, continued ................

Went for a short snooze this afternoon, but woke up nearly five hours later !
Consequently, being wide awake, I decided to crack on with some more work.

The rear wall has been made and fitted, along with the basic shape for the bi-fold doors. Somehow, I got the angles slightly wrong at the top of the door opening ( probably mis-read Victor's vector !! ), but once the door frame and the (open) doors are in place, I don't think it will be noticed much.
The doors have yet to be cleaned -up and have some details added, and they'll be fitted once the model is painted.

Representations of side-locker doors have been made and fitted, and again they await clean-up and some detailing.
An access platform has been fabricated and installed over the walkway on top of the tanker, made from plastic card with a piece of mesh fixed on top, and a frame and hand holds are yet to be made and added.
The Revell kit provides an access ladder, designed to be mounted on the back of the tank section, but this will now be fitted to the side, attached to the platform.

There were some fairly prominent sink marks along each side of the tank body, where the very large internal locating pins are, and these have now been filled with CA and sanded back. There are still a few joints that need to be filled and sanded, and this will be done once all the additions are completed.
All being well, I hope to get a lot more done and have the tank section ready for primer, to cover that garish red plastic, within the next couple of days.

As mentioned earlier, I've sourced some suitable white lettering decals, produced by the company that supply Hornby and a number of other model railway manufacturers, and these have been ordered and will be despatched on Monday. I was very impressed with the service and help from Steve at" Railtec Decals" and, as they can produce custom decals at reasonable prices, I might ask if he can produce the decals for the nose art.

Pics below show how things look to date, and I'll post more some time over the weekend.
Thanks again for the interest, likes and comments.

B-24 Diorama 066.JPG
B-24 Diorama 075.JPG
B-24 Diorama 068.JPG
B-24 Diorama 069.JPG
B-24 Diorama 072.JPG

Thanks Vic.
I'm enjoying working with this old kit ( it's only four years younger then me !), and hope I can eventually produce a good representation of a WW2 fuel tanker.

Well Vic, as it's a Leap Year coming up, and I'll be 18, then I suppose the kit is only 1 year younger than me !!

Was hoping to get a lot more done today, but my hands are stiff and slightly swollen, probably overdid the cutting ad sanding etc yesterday, so I probably won't get much more done until tomorrow.

The Fuel Tanker, continued ...........

I've made some good progress today, and getting close to applying the primer, ready for painting.
The Revell parts for the support bogies, torsion bars, axle hangers and axles have been cleaned-up and fitted, hinges and latches added to the side locker doors, and a frame added to the mesh on the access platform, yet to be tidied-up.
I'm about to start work adding the ladder and hand holds, along with other small detail items such as the tail lamp housings, reflectors front and rear, and the rear beam with tow hitch and recovery rings.

First, though, the alignment and positioning of the trailer in relation to the tractor unit had to be sorted, and this meant assembling the main chassis of the Tamiya re-fuelling kit, in order to assess the correct location for the "fifth" wheel, and its height.
Space needed to be available behind the tractor cab to allow for the articulation of the trailer, and also for the fitment of the spare wheel, tool locker and a work platform, and the height of the "fifth" wheel needed to be correct, to ensure the rear wheels of the trailer unit stayed on the ground.

The chassis, drive train, exhaust and suspension of the Tamiya kit were assembled, and the front wheels, inner rear wheels and cab base just tacked in place with PVA
The Revell trailer was then positioned, and the spacing checked and measured, before fitting the "fifth" wheel and its mount to the Tamiya chassis.
The mounting plate was carefully cut from the Revell kit tractor chassis and the separate part for the "fifth" wheel attached, before cementing this in place on the Tamiya chassis.
So far, spacing and fit seem OK, but I anticipate some possible adjustment of the trailer wheels when it's time to fix the model to the diorama base.

Pics below show the progress so far, and I hope to be back later with some of the detail work completed.

B-24 Diorama 081.JPG
B-24 Diorama 082.JPG
B-24 Diorama 078.JPG
B-24 Diorama 079.JPG
B-24 Diorama 080.JPG
B-24 Diorama 076.JPG
B-24 Diorama 077.JPG

Thanks chaps.

Got the rear lamp housings done, made from reamed out plastic tube, ready to be drilled further and red lenses fitted later, and the reflectors punched from plastic card and fitted to the rear, the rear sides, and the front of the tank trailer.
The kit ladder has bent bent to the required shape, and fitted to the side of the tanker, connecting to the access platform, and hand rails have been fabricated from plastic rod and fitted around the platform.
Once everything has fully set the joints will be tidied-up, all areas cleaned and checked, and then the rear beam and it's fittings added. The primer can then be sprayed.

B-24 Diorama 091.JPG
B-24 Diorama 084.JPG
B-24 Diorama 085.JPG
B-24 Diorama 086.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks very much, and yes, it's entertaining me too, and fun !

I'm not happy with those handrails on the access platform, so I'm re-thinking things and will change the arrangement once the rear end jobs are completed.
All being well, I should have more to show later tonight.

Ok....four pages deep and somehow I've missed this. First off, congrats on the eye Terry. Really good news. #2. Fantastic mods going on here, loving every minute. C) Gotta love that red colour. Almost as bad as my F-104. And last, re: the turrets. Any thoughts to using tissue soaked in white glue and water to make canvas covers as shown in your Post #1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back