B-25 weapons thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello,

Can anyone confirm for me if the B-25H carried AP rounds as well as the standard HE rounds for the 75mm cannon? Thanks in advance.

ack-ack

Hello,

Can anyone confirm for me if the B-25H carried AP rounds as well as the standard HE rounds for the 75mm cannon? Thanks in advance.

ack-ack

Hi Ack-Ack,

According to the book B-25 Mitchel the ultimate look by William Wolf it says the following.

Cannon Ammunition Storage Rack

A retainer in the upper rack held the noses of the rounds, and a selective lock in the lower of the rack secured their bases. The retainers could be inserted into three positions to accommodate the different lengths of the armor piercing, high explosive and smoke shells.

Hope it helps.

I am trying to think of a reason why they would want to use Smoke rounds, any ideas anyone?

Thanks guys.

As Dave said to maybe mark targets for other B-25's that are following or maybe to help blind anti aircraft gunners as they fly low.

Got this picture off the B-25 group on facebook. Picture posted by Warren HendersonVss but thought you guys would find it as interesting as I did. More then likely a field modification because of the glass nose and angle of the guns.
B-25.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot help feeling that that is a trial shot. The aircraft is too clean looking and I find it hard to believe that you would rely on a couple of cables to hold it in place in combat. Just doesn't feel right

I cannot help feeling that that is a trial shot. The aircraft is too clean looking and I find it hard to believe that you would rely on a couple of cables to hold it in place in combat. Just doesn't feel right

Tests where done with the B-25B (40-22740) named Jonah. Test showed that the torpedo suspeneded by cables from the semi-enclosed bomb bay doors reduced the cruise speed by 14 mph but other wise had no adverse affect.

Torpedo release gear remained standard equipment on AAF B-25's to the J model. All varients of the PBJ where equipped to carry the Mark 13 torpedo, although it was never used operationally.

The book B-25 Mitchell The ultimate look has about 3 full pages on the subject by William Wolf.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back