B-25 weapons thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lol @ "overkill"!

Is there such a thing?

There was several cases of those heavy gunships, like the USMC's PBJ-1J that had a 6-gun nose and R/L twin fifty cheek packs. Also, there were some field mods where the 75mm was removed and two fifties were put in it's place, for a total of ten fixed foreward fifties (2 cheek packs, 4 nose fifties and the additional two in the 75mm's place) done by the 75th BS, 42nd BG.

I've also seen a few examples of the 8 nose-mounted fifties with twin cheek packs.

That's a lot of hurt to whatever's downrange!

Been reading a lot about pilots that flew the version with the 8 fifties and duel side gun packs. Problem with this configuration was it couldn't fly very long if one engine was lost during flight due to the weight. One of the most dreaded things a staffer could happen when flying the long distances of the Pacific was the loss of an engine because of the weight.

I just finished reading the book The Grim Reapers At Work in the Pacific Theater by John P Henebry and came across an interesting configuration. I was wondering if anyone had seen or found any pictures of B-25's showing this configuration as followed.

Pappy's mechanics fabricated square 300 gallon tanks from locally produced flat rolled steel. They added hooks on top similar to those on the bombs we carried. They then cut a square hole in the bottom of each B-25. On either side they fastened doors, spring loaded with steel springs-the kind I remember from my grandmothers screen door. Guide rails where used to keep the tank from moving in flight so that the tanks four corners fit into the guide rails. Above the area and centered they mounted a bomb shackle to hold the inserted tank by hooks. They installed pumps and lines to bring the new store of auxiliary fuel to the main integral wing self sealing fuel tanks. The auxiliary tank would be the first to be emptied and once emptied, discarded before combat as it was not self sealing. This added roughly another 2 hours of flying time.

Well shoot, hope this is not true but still looking.

drop tank.jpg

I've read about the removal of the 75mm cannon and heard they had patched it over on some aircraft but this is the first one I found with a patch. As you can see it once had a 75mm cannon till removed. Source of pictures the web.

21.jpg
2009_278_089_1.jpg

Paul, that might be the belly of the CAF's B-25J-20-NC "Miss Mitchell", 43-27493 (N27493), as she doesn't have a belly turret (or at least didn't).

Bottom turrets where only installed in B-25C\D for the war. I think but not for sure it was for a B-25 being restored in Australia. I wish at times I would take more notes when I copy a picture LOL.

I am thinking its this one. Just found this. B-25D-15-NC SN 41-30816 "Mississippi Dream"

This photo came from website below though photo I show there is not on this website.
B-25 History Project

View attachment 537405

Yep, that's the one...the wear on the paint in this photo matches the one above. :thumbleft:

I found this interesting as well in NEI acceptance document of B-25's. Something you would never find in pictures for the aircraft engines. Out of 20 aircraft received only two have the different engines. Not sure why.

Neitherlands aircraft engines.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back