B-25G "Shark Mouth"; 1/48, Academy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great pics W, ... our edge will be metal, in matt black !

Luis.. here is a nice link to the site with the B-25 cockpit you may be looking arond. If you use the "+" you can get the close up view to every detail there. Looking at the texture of the edge there it was the rubber protector. However the rolled up plate could be as well. Firstly, it reinforced the edge and the hood. Secondly, it gave the good base for fixing of the rubber protector. IMHO these planes that show the hood without the protector might have lost that because of different reasons.

World War II Gallery Cockpits

Yep, I agree. From what I've seen, the edge of the coaming was 'rolled' metal. It could have a rubber protector over it, which of course, in 1/48th scale, would look little different, or it could be without the protector. Rather like the Lancaster - some serving aircraft had a leather padding, and some didn't - possibly due to wear and tear (removed) or due to the source of manufacture.
The cockpit photos of the Mitchell I took, show a lack of protector, but I don't know if it had never been fitted, or whether it had just got worn and was removed at some time - the aircraft had originally served with the RCAF during WW2, and had seen a lot of varying service up to the date of the pics.
Bottom line is, in this scale, through the canopy, it would be extremely difficult to tell if it was there or not !

I agree with you Terry. Here is a pic showing the metal edge. Please note the way it was attached to the plane. It can be noticed on the left side under the hood. Well.. the rivets were not necessarily for the attaching of the protector.

okap4.jpg

The advance of days gone by.
The tires:
After a layer of bright black, apply duraluminium by Alclad II

287.jpg

... masking and liquid mask for retouching ...

288.jpg

... With this photograph, it will only be necessary to apply some washes, pigments and seal all the work ...a little later in the process ...

289.jpg

Regarding the lower turret, I decided to detail with Tamiya tape strips, the window frames ...

290.jpg
291.jpg

292.jpg

I sealed the tape on the outside, with a bit of cyano, ... then I used a liquid mask ...

293.jpg

First I applied a primer coat, then the final one with matt white ...

294.jpg

295.jpg

Finished the piece temporarily, until mounting it in the fuselage and applying the final finish to the whole.

059b25.jpg

See you soon and I hope you enjoy it (by the way, excellent weekend everyone) :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Last edited:
Good day to all.

I do not know why some of the photos from my previous post (# 368) were not displayed, but I deleted them when reediting the post and I added each one in its place, ... it seems that it is already there. I do not know if it would be my PC in some "lapsus-brutus". :dontknow:

In a good time I take advantage and I share how the IP problem was corrected in this Academy kit and what at first I thought would be an impossible task getting me to correct and redistribute seats, the console between the seats, the handles (steering wheels) and the IP; ... after consulting pictures on the web and simultaneously Terry's suggestion, we could see that the total surface of this coaming, is wider than normal and cutting it almost in half would be much more attached to reality.

What I learned from this is simple: Many times the solution to situations is the simplest and usually goes unnoticed. :!:

Definitely to be able to work more comfortable, I removed the floor with seats and other components and I was able to work with my Dremel, file and sand until I achieved the desired appearance.

10.jpg
11.jpg

A few shots of different angles and with the glass cabin ...

12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg

In a next sequence the test with the piece removed, again in its place ... :thumbup:

... the missing photos, now yes, the complete cabin and the IP can already be seen in a position very similar to the real B-25. :cool:

19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

(I already painted the pilot's back and turned it into an additional life-saving cushion)

... and with its roof placed ...

22.jpg
23.jpg

Once the two parts of the fuselage are adhered with all the interior components included (both turrets, bomb bay bombs, the cabin floor with the front landing gear and the 75mm cannon), then I will work on do in a subtle way, on that much commented edge.
Now, those who fall with a kit of these in hand, have the option to improve the appearance of your project.

I still do not know if I will leave the glass ceiling without glue, to be able to see better the interior. (I think my vanity is declared by the details achieved, ... so as not to be fully observed) ... you excuse me, but my therapist suggests it. :laughing6:

Greetings and enjoy the weekend. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back