B-25G "Shark Mouth"; 1/48, Academy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Beautiful work Luis, but that instrument panel seems to be very far forward. Compare it with these photos of a B-25C/D (now in the USA), where the panel is only just under the coaming, and the floor consoles seem to be further back too.
The pics of my model, using the very old Revell kit, show where it should be.
Mitchell 007.jpg
Mitchell 021.jpg
Mitchell Build 024.JPG
Mitchell Build 028.JPG

That's what I meant, Terry, thank you very much for your comment; This model of Academy has poorly designed the position and distribution of the cabin with its seats and IP.
I do not think I can do the adaptation, so I think I'll live with that ... :sad3:
We are talking about a major repair and since that piece is ready, I fear the remedy is worse. Any opinion?

It might be possible to trim back the coaming above the panel, making the instrument panel etc more visible, if the canopy will still fit.
Can you post a pic showing a fuselage half, with the cockpit in place, and perhaps where the windscreen of the canopy is supposed to locate ?

It might be possible to trim back the coaming above the panel, making the instrument panel etc more visible, if the canopy will still fit.
Can you post a pic showing a fuselage half, with the cockpit in place, and perhaps where the windscreen of the canopy is supposed to locate ?
Thanks, Terry, it also occurred to me to do that cut.
Today I have been away from home and office all day. For that reason until now I answer you from my cell phone. Tomorrow I hope to have a calmer day and attend to your kind comment. :thumbup:

I hope the photos are clear enough.
Definitely our option to give some solution to this discrepancy between the Academy model and the reality of "coaming above the panel", will greatly improve the visibility of the IP.
In a moment I upload the photos ... :thumbup:

Terry:
The current appearance and how the glass cabin looks:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

In my opinion (my "calculómetro"), making the cut at half the distance in the central part, and make the appropriate projection towards the sides, taking care that it is progressive and proportional to the real shape ...

5.jpg
6.jpg

... with the glass cabin ...

7.jpg
8.jpg

Finally, I tried this shot "against light", to see the distance between the IP and the new edge of the "coaming above the panel"

9.jpg

Except for your best opinion and comments, I believe that I will do but later. o_O

Meanwhile, I'm still working with the paint on the tires, landing gear, the bombs and the lower turret. :D

Saludos :thumbup:

Seeing it well, I think I'll take the cut of the ends, to the edge.

6.1.jpg

It is the right thing to be better achieved.

:thumbup:

yep, that's the right way to go. Looks like the kit made the coaming to deep.
The outer, fuselage side, ends of the coaming meet the canopy frame, so as long as you keep this part right, and make a smooth, curving cut, it should look fine. Neither the kit interpretation, or the modified version, would be 100% accurate, but cutting it back will be closer to the real thing, and make the interior more visible.
The pics below aren't the best, but show how it looked, and they were all I could find in a hurry.

Mitch coam 1.jpg
Mitch coam 2..jpg

It is very clear, and so it will be. We will be able to make this modification and be able to make this kit look better.
It's a good kit, it's rare that the design has had this detail out of reality.

But that's why we should feel proud of those who know so much about airplanes and those who seek to make a better effort to make good miniature replicas. :grouphuuug:
It's a great team effort in this blessed forum!

Gracias mi estimado Terry :thumbup:

You're welcome Luis.
I'd like to add an Accurate Miniatures / Academy Mitchell to my collection, as a RAF Mitchell II, to accompany the still unfinished, old Revell model, but I just haven't got the room, and too may kits already - including another B-25J kit !!
If you can check this particular kit; you will see that it includes the options of converting it C and J ... I do not know if any other. But it has several different pieces for the front, tail, armament and another glass cabin. Now that we know this kit, I can recommend it, the details that have arisen so far, are solvable; It will only be a matter of getting the RAF decals. :thumbup:

Thanks Luis, and yes, I have studied the contents of the various versions of the AM kits, and the Academy re-boxing. They are certainly well detailed, and the decals wouldn't be a problem, as I have some RAF (Polish Squadron) Mitchell decals, and plenty of roundels, serials and code letters on other sheets.
When I eventually finish the B-25 D Mitchell II, which is similar to the 'C' Mitchell II, but with the waist windows, I might consider doing another, and may even do the Revell / Monogram B-25J as a Mitchell III, although I also have some nice decal sheets for an Italian based USAAF 'J' from a book that Wojtek very kindly sent me, which would be a nice contrast, being in part NMF, part OD finish.

Thanks for the photos Wojtek, yes they are very helpful .... I can distinguish that on the edge of that coaming is all of the same material; because I've seen on some airplanes that have a leather-wrapped protective edge. What do you think is convenient to do in our B-25? :-k

Humm.. I have tried to find a decent close up shot of the edge. I have to admit that it looks different in many pics. A couple of pics suggest the metal edge ( a rolled up plate ) while other ones the protector there. However I'm not sure if it was the leather one. IMHO it was ar ubber protector.

Here three shots that suggest the metal rolled edge..

b-25 okap_a.jpg

b-25 okap_b.jpg

b-25 okap_c.jpg

The images suggest the protector going from right and from left to the mid part of the edge. The center seems to be of metal because of the shining metal areas looking like ripped or peeled off paint there.

b-25 okap_d.jpg

The enlarged pic reveal the rivets fixing the protector or rolled up plate.

okap6.jpg

And here the close up shot I found showing the port part of the edge.

b-25 okap.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back