B-25G "Shark Mouth"; 1/48, Academy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Geo for your comment, I am inclined to work according to the first photo.
And regarding the "de-icing boot", we'll wait for some opinion; ... the question would be if it is the same white color and that, being of another material, it can be seen in a different color?
I do not think all airplanes have that de-icing boot, would it be added after those possible repairs? Recall that our bomber was a B-25C that was adapted to convert it to "G" (after that there was an exclusive production of B-25Gs), ... all the "C" left the factory with that de-icing boot?

It's possible that the B&W photo has been retouched, showing 'white' around the leading edges of the fins - the overall contrast and density in the print is not that good, and it could have been retouched to try to improve the overall appearance of the photo.
In the colour shot, the fins appear to show bare metal areas where the de-icer boots would have been - the shape, including the small rectangular areas at the ends, is right. The de-icer boots were very often removed, particularly from twin-fin aircraft, as they could get damaged by flak, flail about in the slipstream, and then jam the rudders (many 8th AF aircraft, for example, had all de-icer boots removed, leaving bare metal where they'd been).
It looks like the de-icer boots on the main wings are still in place.

Very interesting comment Terry. Then the de-icing boots are in the main wings, and are painted white ?, I can make a small variation in the white paint to distinguish that variation of tone in the photo b & w.
And in the case of the fins, I will paint them in white, same with some variation of the tone, only in the part that corresponds to the de-icer boots. Thank you.

Luis, I think the leading edges of the fins are bare metal - what looks like white is the shine on the curve of the leading edge. The white appears to have been carried around on the bottom edges of the rudders though.
In the colour pic, it looks like the de-icer boots on the leading edges of the main wings have possibly been removed, again leaving bare metal, which looks slightly different due to being in shadow, and is very probably dull, rather than shiny, which may be due to a residue of the adheshive used to fix the rubber boots to the wing.
In the B&W shot at the bottom of the group of photos, I thought that the boots might still be there - and they might be, having faded to a grey shade due to sunlight - but they could be the bare metal as described, it's s bit difficult to tell for sure.
I think I'd go with bare metal for all these areas.

Thank you once again Terry (our VIP consultant), yes you can see those curve of the leading edge shiny. Given the uncertainty and pretending that our twin engine is replicated with respect to the existing one in 1943, I will paint it with all its attack edges in white and under the scheme of the first photo of my post # 520, as well as the last one of that same post (the color image)

On previous nights I started masking the back part of the plane (waist, tail and flaps) ... it took me longer than expected, but it had to look my best and protect it from "splashing olive drab", what is painted white in the bottom.
Today all the masking is finished, but these are some images of the process ...

I have tried to do it with due care and I think the result will be satisfactory ... at least now it looks good ...

(I hope to treat it well at the time of putting the different stages of my new procedure at the top)

At this time, apply the first phase of the olive drab. A base diluted and sprayed irregularly, to leave a surface with various shades. It is likely that today I will start with OD + Blanco, very diluted for the rivet lines.

I hope you like it and I appreciate your comments.

Hasta pronto amigos míos

Thank you Chad and Brian, ... I am already in the upper painting and to start the 3rd phase ... the lines of the panels with dark green ... but I think that first I will place the bubble on top ( behind the cabin ) and the "streamlined housing for the D / F loop".

Gracias por sus porras

IMHO all de-icing boots were removed and the trailing edges of wings and empennage are bare metal. In a bigger photo this is clearly visible.
Check here.
I don't think they have ever tried to overpaint the de-icing boots, but in many cases those were removed and the bare metal areas have been overpainted. This is not the case here.
There are some B-25 in the anti-sub search scheme with white (overpainted) trailing edges and they look differently.

Well received your observation, Catch 22, it is clearer to me.
It is very good photography and it seems that the lower part of the trailing edge, that variation is observed with respect to the rest of the wing.
I appreciate the comment.

Greetings to Canada.

That's right, the de-icer boots were removed, but it's are painted white, ... in the Catch 22 image there are all the edges painted white, ... and that's my intention for our "Shark Mouth", as newly converted from C to G. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your coments Terry and Andy

Sorry, gents. Mea maxima culpa!
It's all about the LEADING EDGES of course!
Hahaha , it was a good talk, but I think we always talk about the same thing and we agree on that ... sometimes my English can be a bit confusing, both to understand it and to write it ... but you all know that I try to always ask if I have any language questions, ... as everyone knows that I appreciate correcting me, illustrate and ask about any incongruity with my "Spanglish"

Excelente Viernes para todos

Users who are viewing this thread