Base sizes..

Discussion in 'Building Questions, Tutorials and Guidebooks' started by Maglar, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Maglar

Maglar Active Member

Student
    Hey guys, I am wanting to get into making my own bases and will be heading to home depot soon to get the wood. But I was wondering what is the ideal L X W size for 1/72 and 1/48 planes (Fighters, not doing bombers yet). I am looking to just do a runway with grass on each side so it will be cut into a square, if that helps. Also wondering what thickness of board I should look at, I dont want it to be flimsy but I dont want it to be a rock!

Any knowledge that can be shared would be great! Thanks all.. :)

2. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Graphic Designer
    Home Page:
    The size would really depend on the plane and what kind of space you have to put it. There's no real ideal size I wouldn't think, it's just based on the surroundings and exactly what would be going on the base.

3. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Cory's right there, and as for material, MDF in either 5mm or 10mm thickness is ideal - easy to work with, relatively light but strong, and won't warp easily.

4. Maglar

Maglar Active Member

Student
    Well i'm thinking my 1/72 P47, P40, and Corsair, they all match up in length except the P40 is a little smaller overall. Terry already helped me with the dimensions on the B17 (One day!!) and I dont plan on baseing anything else. Reason is I bought the sceneic cement and sprayer, soil, grass, rocks, and other stuff and really want to have fun with it but on a small scale where not too much can be lost if I mess up.