Bases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muller

Tech Sergeant
Apr 7, 2008
Hibernia
This thread has come about from a PM I got from Maglar. He wanted to know how I build my bases so he can do some for his builds.

All bases are different, and the pics here are from the base I built for the Spitfire Mk.1, a concrete hard standing and grass. But the same methods can be used to simulate a variety of terrains.

I bought a wooden shelf, 800x200x18mm, cut it into 4 equal pieces, so I have 4 bases roughly 8"x8". I suppose base size depends on the size of your model, but this size is good for a 1/48 fighter.

SL382017.gif

The filler in the picture was spread over the base, this filler has IPA in it, so it dries pretty quick and doesn't warp the wood like a water-based filler might.

Using a paint-scraper the 'concrete' part of the base was smoothed out. The grass piece was left kinda rough. Using a piece of damp kitchen paper the concrete part was patted to simulate a poured concrete type finish.

SL381982.gif

The whole thing was primed then with rattle-can grey primer.

SL381983.gif

Then, using a ruler and a needle, lines were marked in the 'concrete'.

SL381984.gif

The concrete part was then painted over with some oil paint mixed to a grey/brown colour.

SL381985.gif

In work right now, have to go do a presentation, to be continued..... :)

Ok lads, back on track :)

Next the concrete was weathered, black brown pastels brushed around the lines and a some in the centers of the squares. Also some yellow pastel brushed into the center of the squares.

SL381986.gif

Grassy part and lines were then painted with oils in a soil colour. Also a bit more pastels brushed along the lines in the concrete.

SL381987.gif

Next some PVA glue was painted onto the soil part and in patches of the lines in the concrete. Static grass sprinkled onto the glue, the grass was raised using a plastic ruler rubbed on the carpet to charge it with static electricity.

SL381988.gif

Excess grass was shaken off when glue was dry.

Next up was the beading. Four thin pieces of wood were cut using a mitre box and saw.

SL382014.gif

And glued and nailed onto the edges of the base.

SL382016.gif

Oil stains seen on the concrete parts above were added with black pastel dust and white spirit.

Bad carpentry at the corners meant filling was required, I used the same filler as above and sanded down.

SL382018.gif

All that was left then was to sand and stain the beading. Mahogany coloured woodstain was applied with a piece of kitchen paper. Job done!

SL382021.gif

I'm working on another base for FW190 White 5 right now, have some progress pics and will post more in this thread.

Maglar wants a dirt runway with some grass for his B-17. I'd suggest using the same method above, using brown paints and pastels, or maybe some real dirt dried and crushed to powder form, then glued on. I might try and do something similar for that M41 tank I bought last week, will take some progress pics for you Corey! :thumbleft:

That's it Mate.Excellent :D :D :D

But could you tell us when you decided to make the basis? I mean when the model was finished or you planned it at the beginning.

Thanks fellas, it looks easy because it is! Try one for yourselves.

Wojtek, I want to build a few different types of base, so I can display different models on the same base. I have a desert base for North Africa builds, I made it for a BF109G trop, there's a desert Spit Vb on it right now. They're inter-changable.

The base for my Corsair was decided on when the model was finished. It changes with every one.

The grass base I'm doing for White 5 will be able to be used for the BoB GB.

Thanks M, really had me pulling that those concrete slabs were actual tile cut up into smaller squares. I could do this easily, just need do get some pastels from my art / crafts store. Also need that filler, some sprinkle grass, and I have a bunch of earth colors that I could airbrush. Keep it comn'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back