Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An A6M2 piloted by Lt. Hirano from the IJN Akagi downed at Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941.

A6M2_Hirano_Akagi_7Dec41.jpg

Not battle-damaged but self inflicted....

Capture.JPG

...this is where B-17F 42-29685 sat while being loaded with 10 500lb bombs when something went wrong on May 27, '43 killing 19 and injuring 20 more. In addition, 3 other aircraft were destroyed

The P-51 above looks like a collision on the ground rather than 'battle damage'.

Cheers

Steve

Edit. Someone beat me to it :)

There seems to be a misconception with that Corsair and the story that floats around regarding Frazer's encounter, which occurred on 22 June 1945.

In the photo above, that FG-1D (88441) of VMF-113, piloted by 1Lt. Hunchar, was involved in a ground incident on 4 July 1945 with an FG-1D (88339) also of VMF-113, piloted by 2Lt. Harke.

The WO entry provides these details:
"On 4 July Hunchar in 88441 was rolling out after landing when he was hit from behind by 2Lt Harke in 88399 who had landed too fast and close. Both aircraft were damaged beyond repair."

Also note the drop tanks still in place, which are usually dropped in combat.

You're welcome, Geo.

I'm sure I posted this before, but a classic is always worth re-visiting:
a P-47D-30-RE (44-21054) "Buzzin' Cuzzin" of the 346th FS, 350th FG, 12th AF flown by Lt. Sulzbach.
On 1 April 1945, Lt. Sulzbach was on a mission over Italy when he flew too low during a strafing run. He ended up flying through a grove of trees as a result, suffering a great deal of damage to the aircraft, but was able to return to base after flying 120 miles from the scene of the collision, making a landing without incident.

P-47_tree_damage.jpg

P-47_tree_damage_2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back