Battle of Britain 75th in 2015

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Calling all Brits. I am 90% sure that the Mrs and myself will be coming to the Duxford area in September of 2015 to experience a 75th anniversary celebration. This of course is assuming that there will be a 75th celebration:confused: I have just sent an e mail to Duxford making an early enquiry of a possible date in September 2015.

I am looking for any helpful tips as far as accommodation, transportation etc that those of you who are experienced Duxford folks may be able to give.

Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I can't plan a week in advance let alone a year but if your making the trip to Duxford and will be in the area on a non airshow Sunday it may be worth investing in the following -

B-17 Preservation Ltd - The Sally B Website - Sally B Supporters Club

Basically you get a years free admission to Duxford (although I appreciate that parts not of interst being in Canada)
But also included is the opportunity to access the inside of Sally B which is only available to members of the club. It goes without saying that the revenue from the membership goes to keeping europe's only airworthy B-17 flying as well.

I've been a member myself for the past year but have failed miserablily at making it down there on a Sunday to get inside the B-17. It will happen though.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
No problem, I will stress that it is probably best to check in advance if Sally B will be there.
I think it's like only an extra £8 on top of standard entrance fee as well.

A bit difficult to suggest accommodation Jeff, as most places within a 30 mile radius are pre-booked well in advance of all the airshows each year. That said, Gary (Geedee) might be able to advise, as he uses a B&B not too far away sometimes. Also, Andy (Crimea River) used a B&B when he came over from Canada a couple of years back.
I've started using a camp site just 'up the road' from DX, at Fowlmere, opposite the old DX satellite field, but of course that probably wouldn't be suitable - bit difficult getting a tent and other kit on an Air Canada flight !
There are of course a number of hotels in Cambridge itself, and I believe there's a regular bus service to the gates at DX, but again, this might not be that convenient. Depending how long you intend to stay, it might be worthwhile basing yourself in Cambridge, and maybe hiring a car, at least for the weekend of the air show. The main BoB anniversary show will almost certainly be arranged for the nearest weekend to September 15th, Battle of Britain Day, and this year's September show, which is normally around the 5th or 6th, the first weekend of the month, has been put back to the 14th and 15th September.
There are, from memory, around three 'Travel Lodge' hotels in and around Cambridge, as well as the normal chain and independent hotels, so plenty to go at, depending on your budget. There are also a number of other Travel Lodges, plus hotels, pubs, inns and B&Bs in other towns within about a 30 minute drive, if you have transport.

I have heard back from Duxford and they will not have a 2015 schedule until November of this year. I expect the Mrs and I will spend a week at least in the area, awfully long flight and jet lag for a weekender. B&Bs on the net look interesting and some provide shuttle to the IWM. Thanks to those who have replied.....I will be checking the internet and will make a decision. I know I have left myself time but these things have a nasty habit of sneaking up on oneself if one is not careful.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff, keep in touch nearer the time - say around June/July next year. Given I go, which is at least 90% certain, if I can help out at all, I will.
I live around a three hour drive away, so I'll be going for the whole weekend, but may only go to the Sunday display. It's easier for me to drive down on the Saturday, stay on the camp site (or B&B) Saturday and Sunday, and then depart on the Monday, rather than try to do there and back in a day.

Made my hotel reservation this morning. Arriving in England on Thursday Sept 10 and will depart the following Tuesday. Staying at a Holiday Inn Express that says they are less than 5 minutes from the IWM Duxford. A buddy of mine and I are stoked and it will be great to see the 109-E again.

Cheers,

Jeff

Great stuff Jeff!
As Karl stated, we'll be there (on the camp site) from at least Saturday afternoon, probably until Monday morning. Exact timings depend on what free time both Karl, and my mate Mick have available.
You'll only be a few miles drive from us, so maybe we can meet up before the air show too, if we come to your hotel to collect you. But no doubt we can arrange that nearer the time.
In a thread elsewhere on the forum, there's been quite some interest in this particular event so, with a bit of luck, we might manage to get a forum 'crowd' together !

Great stuff Jeff!
As Karl stated, we'll be there (on the camp site) from at least Saturday afternoon, probably until Monday morning. Exact timings depend on what free time both Karl, and my mate Mick have available.
You'll only be a few miles drive from us, so maybe we can meet up before the air show too, if we come to your hotel to collect you. But no doubt we can arrange that nearer the time.
In a thread elsewhere on the forum, there's been quite some interest in this particular event so, with a bit of luck, we might manage to get a forum 'crowd' together !

Looking forward to the event and meeting many of you. A lift would be excellent. Any chance you might be interested in some Canadian beer for your trouble?

Jeff

From the Duxford website....The Battle of Britain Anniversary Air Show, Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 September (subject to confirmation)

I'm hoping to go ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back