Battle of Britain Airshow, Duxford, 2019.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good ones Terry. Never understood the 7/8 scale thing unless it's ideal for certain modern engines. Hardly seems worth the material saving otherwise.

I think it's something to do with PFA * and CAA rules in the UK, so that they can be built as a 'light aircraft', looking like, eg a SE5, without the relative complexity of the real thing. I'm going off memory here, having discussed this with owners back in the mid 1980s.
(* Popular Flying Association, the regulating 'board' for such aircraft, which has now changed its name, but I can't remember to what ! )

Makes sense thanks. We have those 7/8 scale replicas over here too and the Canadian Nieuports that flew over Vimy two years ago were also of reduced scale.

Next slot was a pleasant surprise, with three Sea Furies
However, it was at this point where things went base over apex, as the sky darkened, with damp, grey clouds as background, which was not good when shooting, unknowingly, at 100 ISO, instead of 400 !!
However, after messing about with brightness and contrast etc, I've managed to rescue some reasonable shots, shown here and in the next post.
The first two shots below are the same frame, before and after adjustment, and the dull conditions can be seen in most of these pics.

DX Sep 71.jpg
DX Sep 72.jpg
DX Sep 73.jpg
DX Sep 74.jpg
DX Sep 75.jpg
DX Sep 76.jpg
DX Sep 77.jpg
DX Sep 78.jpg
DX Sep 79.jpg
DX Sep 80.jpg

The Sea Furies again, returning to land and taxi in, and a general shot down the field, looking east, showing the weather conditions at the time.
The last four shots, including the prototype Hawker Sea Stuka, where taken with the second camera, the Nikon D5200 and 18-55mm lens, on the correct settings

Back when I've sorted and rescued some more images.

DX Sep 81.jpg
DX Sep 82.jpg
DX Sep 83.jpg
DX Sep 84.jpg
DX Sep 85.jpg
DX Sep 86.jpg
DX Sep 87.jpg
DX Sep 88.jpg
DX Sep 89.jpg
DX Sep 90.jpg

Last edited:
The Sea Furies again, returning to land and taxi in, and a general shot down the field, looking east, showing the weather conditions at the time.
The last three shots, including the prototype Hawker Sea Stuka, where taken with the second camera, the Nikon D5200 and 18-55mm lens, on the correct settings

Back when I've sorted and rescued some more images.

View attachment 554918View attachment 554919View attachment 554920View attachment 554921View attachment 554922View attachment 554923View attachment 554924View attachment 554925View attachment 554926View attachment 554927

forgot about that last pic !

when i read Sea Stuka i was thinking what is silly bugger talking about :lol:

Awesome shots there Terry, great job, wish we could see a Hawker Hurricane show up at Airventure. Its been a long time since I saw one there flying.

That's cos it's cold in Canada - slows down the brain cells !

On with the ( somewhat soggy ) show, and the B-17 and P-47 merging into the cloud. Some of the pics taken later in the sequence (not shown here) look like they were taken in fog, especially the silver P-47, which looked like a ghost ship, barely discernible.
Misty Mustang shots yet to come .........

DX Sep 91.jpg
DX Sep 92.jpg
DX Sep 93.jpg
DX Sep 94.jpg
DX Sep 95.jpg
DX Sep 96.jpg
DX Sep 97.jpg
DX Sep 98.jpg
DX Sep 99.jpg
DX Sep 100.jpg

Two pairs of Mustangs took off for their display, but I only got barely reasonable shots of the second pair. The first two would have provided a really good pic - if it had been sharp. Hopefully, Karl managed to get the shot.
At this point, it got rather wet, with drizzle and scudding low cloud, and the second pair of Mustangs did a circuit and returned to base, probably wise considering the visibility, or lack of it.
The other two did a shortened display and then also returned to land. As will be seen in the pics, the aircraft were in cloud haze most of the time, making photography difficult, but probably not as difficult as the conditions experience by the pilots, who deserve credit for their efforts.

Back sometime tomorrow with more from the show.

DX Sep 101.jpg
DX Sep 102.jpg
DX Sep 103.jpg
DX Sep 104.jpg
DX Sep 105.jpg
DX Sep 106.jpg
DX Sep 107.jpg
DX Sep 108.jpg
DX Sep 109.jpg
DX Sep 110.jpg

Last edited:
ok seems i put in a pretty dismal performance with the camera at Duxford, though i did manage to grab a few decent pictures.

i will add my favourites in no particular order if thats ok Dogsbody ?

first up some Hurricanes, i was very happy to see these 4 as its been over a year since i saw a Hurricane in the air !

_DSC0618.jpg
_DSC0620.jpg
_DSC0635.jpg
_DSC0693.jpg
_DSC0697.jpg
_DSC0740.jpg
_DSC0765.jpg
_DSC0769.jpg

The "Mercury Formation" was next, although again a shortened display, due to the weather and poor visibility, as can be seen in the photos.
The title is, of course, derived from the type of engines used for these aircraft, the Bristol Mercury radial, and the formation consisted of two Westland Lysanders, a Bristol Blenheim Mk.1F and a Gloster Gladiator. a truly unique sight, and sound.
The 'SOE' Lysander and Gladiator are from The Shuttleworth Collection, at nearby Old Warden aerodrome ( featured in the latest posts in my "Travels of Tel's Tin Tent' thread ), whilst the Army Cooperation Lysander and the Blenheim are based at Duxford.

More to follow, with lots to show yet.

DX Sep 111.jpg
DX Sep 112.jpg
DX Sep 113.jpg
DX Sep 114.jpg
DX Sep 115.jpg
DX Sep 116.jpg
DX Sep 117.jpg
DX Sep 118.jpg
DX Sep 119.jpg
DX Sep 120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread