Beaus of the 236th squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
interesting questions guys coming up..........

on March 21, 1945 3 Beaufighters of the 236th sqdn. caught 3 Kriegsmarine Schnellboots in a stalled position. S-2210 was having engine problems and the S-181 went to investigate and caught the brunt of the Beaus' 20mm and rockets and was thus erased off the planet thus burning the S-181 out and losing 14 men in the process including the 2nd Schnellboot Flottille Kommandeur who had been travelling this eve on help with a mining operation. the area was close to Texel. the other Boot the S209 did what she could in rescuing those that were wounded.

now the question beccons were the Beaus fitted with radar or was this a ground to air operation ? anyone have further details about this 236th sqdn mission this eve ?

thank you

Erich ~

Hiyas E,

None of the Coastal Command Strike Wings, including the North Coates Wing of which 236 Sqn. formed a part, were equipped with radar.

By war's end the idea was to put as many aircraft over a convoy as possible to overwhelm the flak defenses. Still costly operations.

I don't know how 236 identified its targets, though it was likely through free-lance sweeps. By contrast, the Banff Wing operating against Norway had 333 Squadron acting as armed recce and pathfinders.

Mark

thanks much, am not sure how this all happened really as the operations for the Km S-Boots was in the time range of 22.36 and 22.39 Uhr. the Beu's were there and blew the S-181 to pieces

somehow they homed in onto the S-Boot distress ? signals and must have seen enough lights in the aid for S-210. No doubt being at the right place at the right time during this lat evening.

Could the boats be using a radio to communicate the problems and their locations. Then the allies use the direction finding equipment to home in on the boats. Kinda like they did to the U-boats when they used their radio. Just a theory!

I was going to post something, but then I saw Beaupower32's avatar.

Now I can't remember what I was going to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back